Are Behringer audio interfaces ASIO multi client

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can you test whether it's multi client if you're just running Ableton? Multi-client means running multiple applications via ASIO at the same time.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:37 am How can you test whether it's multi client if you're just running Ableton? Multi-client means running multiple applications via ASIO at the same time.
Sorry, I meant I tried using Live and Youtube simultaneously. However I figured it out. It supports multi-client ASIO, the trick is to set ensure all clients are using the same sample rate, otherwise it doesn't work. I'm playing a project in FL Studio, another in Ableton Live,and listening to a Youtube video, all at the same time, so... my bad.

Scoox wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 am
Sorry, I meant I tried using Live and Youtube simultaneously.

However I figured it out. It supports multi-client ASIO, the trick is to set ensure all clients are using the same sample rate, otherwise it doesn't work. I'm playing a project in FL Studio, another in Ableton Live,and listening to a Youtube video, all at the same time, so... my bad.
Whatever you're using to access Youtube, it wont be using ASIO. ASIO is not part of any operating system, its a third-party driver type very specific to DAWs and similar 'professional' audio software packages. All other software out there uses the standard operating system driver types.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:53 am
Scoox wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 am
Sorry, I meant I tried using Live and Youtube simultaneously.

However I figured it out. It supports multi-client ASIO, the trick is to set ensure all clients are using the same sample rate, otherwise it doesn't work. I'm playing a project in FL Studio, another in Ableton Live,and listening to a Youtube video, all at the same time, so... my bad.
Whatever you're using to access Youtube, it wont be using ASIO. ASIO is not part of any operating system, its a third-party driver type very specific to DAWs and similar 'professional' audio software packages. All other software out there uses the standard operating system driver types.
Well, it's working now. My experience with non-multi-client is that I couldn't use my DAW and system audio simultaneously, let alone two DAWs. The Behringer interface supports this when all clients use the same sampling rate. Different sample rates usually wreak havoc.

Scoox wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:32 pm Well, it's working now. My experience with non-multi-client is thatI couldn't use my DAW and system audio simultaneously, let alone two DAWs. The Behringer interface supports this when all clients use the same sampling rate. Different sample rates usually wreak havoc.
System audio is never ASIO, so multi-client ASIO is not required for simultaneous use of an audio device via ASIO and system audio.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:54 pm
Scoox wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:32 pm Well, it's working now. My experience with non-multi-client is thatI couldn't use my DAW and system audio simultaneously, let alone two DAWs. The Behringer interface supports this when all clients use the same sampling rate. Different sample rates usually wreak havoc.
System audio is never ASIO, so multi-client ASIO is not required for simultaneous use of an audio device via ASIO and system audio.
Sure, it's not but many ASIO interfaces support either system audio OR one ASIO client, not both. The Behringer interface supports both and it also supports multiple simultaneous ASIO clients, as long as the sample rate is the same.

A simple solution to the multiclient problem of wanting to play music and listen to youtube or whatever at the same time is to buy a simple USB hub with a soundcard built in. This way you only occupy one extra USB port and gain a couple along the way. The one I bought, and which worked very well, and is good quality and very low priced is this one.................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Soundcard- ... 9VG6&psc=1

Does anyone know if you can use a UMC202HD and a UMC1820 at the same time?

So from a DAW, send one track out of the UMC202HD and another out of the UMC1820?

If you don't mind stopping the DAW audio playback while switching to e.g. YouTube, most DAWs have an option called "Release audio device in background" or similar. This will switch off the ASIO driver whenever you Alt+Tab out of the DAW, allowing other apps to use the audio interface.
swivel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:38 pm Does anyone know if you can use a UMC202HD and a UMC1820 at the same time?

So from a DAW, send one track out of the UMC202HD and another out of the UMC1820?
I believe on Mac it's possible to create aggregates of multiple audio interfaces. On Windows you can try ASIO4ALL. Supposedly it lets you group inputs from multiple interfaces into a single virtual device, but it's not guaranteed to work and there might be latency or jitter issues.

If you have the UMC1820 and need more inputs, you can get the ADA8200 and plug in via ADAT. This will give you 8 more inputs and outputs.

swivel wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:38 pm Does anyone know if you can use a UMC202HD and a UMC1820 at the same time?

Check with manufacturer.

I did with RME stuff, and they confirm I can use multiple of their interfaces at the same time.

It does become a single ASIO device though, but many cards. That is how I understood it from them.

I think WDM though allow multiple devices as such. There are loads of settings for that using RME. I even created a spdif AC3 stream to test surroundsound out from pc to see how it worked - out to one RME spdif out. Worked just fine. Install an ADAT-8 driver in windows and off you go and I could play back a 6 channel wav-file.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:29 am

I believe on Mac it's possible to create aggregates of multiple audio interfaces. On Windows you can try ASIO4ALL. Supposedly it lets you group inputs from multiple interfaces into a single virtual device, but it's not guaranteed to work and there might be latency or jitter issues.

If you have the UMC1820 and need more inputs, you can get the ADA8200 and plug in via ADAT. This will give you 8 more inputs and outputs.
I currently have only a UMC202HD but I found the ASIO driver Behringer provide for it works much better with it than ASIO4ALL (on windows 10).

I just ordered a UMC1820 to get multiple outputs so I can send things out to outboard gear and back while also monitoring through speakers. I guess I'll find out soon if the 1820 and 202 work together with Behringer's driver. If not I'll just use the 1820...

edit: they don't work together. The Behringer UMC ASIO control panel forces you to choose one or the other.
Last edited by swivel on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lfm wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:34 am

Check with manufacturer.

I did with RME stuff, and they confirm I can use multiple of their interfaces at the same time.

It does become a single ASIO device though, but many cards. That is how I understood it from them.

I think WDM though allow multiple devices as such. There are loads of settings for that using RME. I even created a spdif AC3 stream to test surroundsound out from pc to see how it worked - out to one RME spdif out. Worked just fine. Install an ADAT-8 driver in windows and off you go and I could play back a 6 channel wav-file.
Interesting thanks.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”