Phase Plant... Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phase Plant

Hello!

PP seems to have a lot going on under the hood and I'm feeling an itch to buy it (I have an upgrade path from multi-pass).

But the sound demos from the KH website don't really do it for me - Am I missing something?

So what are you thoughts on it?

Thanks!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I've installed and reinstalled the demo several times, thinking I missed something the last time. But it just doesn't do it for me either. The presets are pretty weak, and the effects and filters are meh. The modulation capabilities are pretty much limitless, and I like the workflow. But I think you really need to dive deep into this to get impressive sounds. Honestly, I haven't heard anything through presets or sound design demos that made me go WOW! this is a so-and-so synth killer! I think i'm going to try the demo again. I'm sure I missed something!

Same thing, no audio examples I ever heard sounded any convincing. Seems to be that "features over sound" trend in purest form.

I never tried the demo though, maybe it would change my mind but these days i only download a demo if I have heard some impressive audio.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Try the demo several times too, great audio rate modulation sound but that's all, plus, I've go a problem with my mouse controlling their knobs. Uninstall. I've got other tools.
Best
YY

seismicfm wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:38 pm I've installed and reinstalled the demo several times, thinking I missed something the last time. But it just doesn't do it for me either. The presets are pretty weak, and the effects and filters are meh. The modulation capabilities are pretty much limitless, and I like the workflow. But I think you really need to dive deep into this to get impressive sounds. Honestly, I haven't heard anything through presets or sound design demos that made me go WOW! this is a so-and-so synth killer! I think i'm going to try the demo again. I'm sure I missed something!
This is it... On paper it seems perfect. But so far I've not heard anything that has blown me away. :(
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Whywhy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:50 pm Try the demo several times too, great audio rate modulation sound but that's all, plus, I've go a problem with my mouse controlling their knobs. Uninstall. I've got other tools.
That'd be a problem alright.

recursive one wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm Same thing, no audio examples I ever heard sounded any convincing. Seems to be that "features over sound" trend in purest form.

I never tried the demo though, maybe it would change my mind but these days i only download a demo if I have heard some impressive audio.
Exactly this... I'll only install summat' that sounds really good. Looks like I'll be passing on it then.

Haven't been impressed either. Only a couple of presets sound really awesome. But nothing can justify this price. This is not a "not bad" price, this is a "holy sh!t I want it right now" price, and it simply doesn't work in my opinion.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Phase Plant=Face Plant :dog:

I'm a bit stunned about mostly negative comments. Phase Plant is a total playground with lots of synthesis and modulation options. Starting with an empty init preset, it's *your* task to create whatever sound you like. If *you* wanna have a warm/crisp/wide/whatever sound, just do so :D So deciding just by judging some presets alone is not smart (as for every synth). If you're not a sound designer but a preset stepper I might understand your point.

Show them then?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

XxEDxX wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 pm So deciding just by judging some presets alone is not smart (as for every synth).
It is smart when you know your own patches will never reach the level of professional sound designers :-) I expect the presets to represent the best a synth has to offer. I never heard phase plant btw.

XxEDxX wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 pm If you're not a sound designer but a preset stepper I might understand your point.
Well, I rarely use presets (if ever)... I watched several videos now of presets and sound design. I'm not disputing the fact that it is a digital playground. Hence, my 'on paper' comment earlier.

I've not been impressed with the synths sonics so far... I'm happy to have my mind changed though! But I'm not going to install a demo of something until I hear good 'beefy' sounds.

I've heard great shit from Serum that's why I bought it originally.

FotoxBr wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:21 pm
XxEDxX wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 pm So deciding just by judging some presets alone is not smart (as for every synth).
It is smart when you know your own patches will never reach the level of professional sound designers :-) I expect the presets to represent the best a synth has to offer. I never heard phase plant btw.
Exactly this!! :tu: When you see pros, who you know are really good at sound design, and they can't make the synth sound great then it's got to raise an eyebrow or two.

As always it's best to try it for yourself. They have a free, fully-functional trial.

https://kilohearts.com/faq

You can make anything from super precise and clean digital synthesis to fat, wide warm (insert adjective) leads, basses and pads etc... that's kinda the deal with something this modular and open. Not for everyone but if you try it you'll know if it's for you.

Return to “Instruments”