Korg releases Korg Triton VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

r s v wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:04 am Visited Korg’s webpage and discovered that the VST doesn’t have The Pattern Sequencer/RPPR ☹️🥺... I understand one can argue that if it’s a VST, we’re already using it in a Sequencer.

But that’s Not The same for me. I Love to Launch MIDI Patterns with a keyboard... The RPPR feature is extremelly Versatile, the way we can assign a pattern (or several) to a key or various keys, we can decide if a pattern starts immediatelly or in the next bar, if it loops, if Stops on release or by pressing The same key again, etc.
This is impossible to replicate in a DAW, as far as I know... For that Reason, there’s no interest for me in buying the VST.

Why Korg, Why?
Could a Standalone Version be more accurate, Just like a real Triton with all it’s features? 🤔
So this is the problem with the inclusion of the Future Loop Construction Expansion in the new Triton VST. I remember when I had an actual Triton I could just load a 'Song' (.SNG file) into the Triton's onboard sequencer and then I'd have a ton of one-note drum loops mapped out across the keyboard, using the FLC's multisamples to construct quite complicated loops which could be played back at any tempo.

Because the Triton VST has no on-board sequencer facility and doesn't support the import of .SNG files (which are not included in the download, anyway) it seems impossible to do anything with the FLC expansion other than play them as single hit sounds - which pretty much negates the entire premise of the expansion.

Anyone know if I'm wrong? What am I missing? I can't seem to do anything with the expansion other than just play the sounds as single hits and I can't find any help in the Triton VST user manual specific to this expansion set.

robotmonkey wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:48 am
r s v wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:04 am
This is impossible to replicate in a DAW, as far as I know... 🤔
You can do it with a sequencer plugin like Thesys.
But Thesys doesn’t Work with Multiple Sequences (different Patterns) in The Same Key, or does it?

Aren't SNG files basically just MIDI files with different extension?

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:43 am
r s v wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:04 amThis is impossible to replicate in a DAW, as far as I know...
Except Ableton Live and Bitwig are EXACTLY that and much, much, much more.
Haven’t had the oportunity to try out Bitwig yet, but by Default, the Session View in Ableton Live doesn’t play Patterns like a Triton does, probably You mean we need some kind of configuration to achieve this “RPPR method”, but couldn’t find anything about it... Besides, I don’t use a Computer in My Live Set, I Need another kind of gear. Maybe an MPC LIVE, it has two synths now👏 but I need to sell my Triton to buy new Gear!🙄
Even the Akai MINIAK has a similar Feature with The Multis, but it lacks Memory, there’s no SD or USB for saving patches/sequences and the tiny Screen is a Nightmare for a deep menu diving.
I digress. Beg your pardon!

Has anyone bought this plugin and had problems with clicks and pops? I have an 8 core amd desktop and I can't get the triton vst to run without huge clicks/pops/distortion over 64 polyphony and 2.7ms ASIO. :x

MikeLupo wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:35 pm Has anyone bought this plugin and had problems with clicks and pops? I have an 8 core amd desktop and I can't get the triton vst to run without huge clicks/pops/distortion over 64 polyphony and 2.7ms ASIO. :x
I confirm. I use an I7-6700K, RME Babyface Pro. got clicks and pops while running only one plugin - Triton. I always run 128 samples max (I believe this is somewhat the latency that you report) and never get clicks and pops on any plugin. but with the Triton alone, in order not to get pops I have to raise the latency up to 512 samples. This is crazy high. I didn't report it here because I think that this plugin is far from optimized, requires lots of work in that regard and Korg knows that.

MikeLupo wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:35 pm Has anyone bought this plugin and had problems with clicks and pops? I have an 8 core amd desktop and I can't get the triton vst to run without huge clicks/pops/distortion over 64 polyphony and 2.7ms ASIO. :x
Have you tried changing the windows power profile to high performance?

3ptguitarist wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:54 pm
What's next? Ask him if he pressed the "Turbo button" on his IBM Compatible.

tristan- wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 pm I confirm. I use an I7-6700K, RME Babyface Pro. got clicks and pops while running only one plugin - Triton. I always run 128 samples
Go into the settings and lower the polyphony. Because there's 8 layers it's very easy to run up high polyphony counts without realising. Try 64 notes and go up from there (keeping in mind the original Triton had less polyphony than that!), if that doesn't work report as a possible bug to Korg using their form.
https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new
Last edited by PAK on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PAK wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:41 pm
tristan- wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 pm I confirm. I use an I7-6700K, RME Babyface Pro. got clicks and pops while running only one plugin - Triton. I always run 128 samples
Go into the settings and lower the polyphony. Because there's 8 layers it's very easy to run up high polyphony counts without realising. Try 64 notes and go up from there (keeping in mind the original Triton had less polyphony than that!)
I did that as well. It even clicks with no damper pressed, single program mode, one layer. How short is your latency?

tristan- wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:44 pm I did that as well. It even clicks with no damper pressed, single program mode, one layer. How short is your latency?
I'm generally 128 samples, though I'm using PCIE based. I assume you're using 44/48? Anyway, use the form to report if it's still doing it.

tristan- wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:18 pm
3ptguitarist wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:54 pm
What's next? Ask him if he pressed the "Turbo button" on his IBM Compatible.
Yes and then add some hydraulics to the ram. Na, but...I ask this because I had some crackling issues while using ableton live and found out that the windows power profile needed to be set to high performance and that solved the issue.

I’ll try and take a look for that. I suspect it is as someone has mentioned.... that it is version 1.0 of the plugin and that it was rushed to market. And I bet others are going to have the same issue. Hopefully addressed and fixed down the pike. This is the only plugin I have problems with.

Were you guys using certain presets when the pops and crackling happened or it is for any of them? I set it to 128 samples (2.9ms) and 64 for the polyphony and so far so good using the standalone version.

I have an older i7-4790 3.6 GHz based PC, Windows 10, 16GB of RAM and Focusrite 2i2.
Last edited by Examigan on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

i7-6700K here (all cores at 4.5 GHz), Triton at 256 poly and RME UFX+ at 128 samples, playing stuff like crazy (i.e. << Godchild >> combi under sustain pedal and just playing random stuff without releasing the pedal), no clicks or pops.

Return to “Instruments”