"Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
swartzfeger
KVRist
169 posts since 18 Feb, 2011 from Hawaii

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Some guitar explorations today in the garage after I called off from work... thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/blindcrake/laramie-68

thedeadsoul
KVRist
277 posts since 22 Oct, 2009 from Bandung, Indonesia

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:27 am

Always have a thing for ambient guitar, very nice! A bit of piano with a lot of reverb and a bit of delay might fit.

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul

swartzfeger
KVRist
169 posts since 18 Feb, 2011 from Hawaii

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:14 am

thedeadsoul wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:27 am
Always have a thing for ambient guitar, very nice! A bit of piano with a lot of reverb and a bit of delay might fit.

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul
Thanks Adi!

User avatar
jethrobull
KVRAF
1903 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from Preston, England, UK

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:26 am

What a beautiful piece. Absolutely love this, fantastic work! :tu:
Love the picture too. Fits the mood.
You have a new follower :wink:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

swartzfeger
KVRist
169 posts since 18 Feb, 2011 from Hawaii

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:43 am

jethrobull wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:26 am
What a beautiful piece. Absolutely love this, fantastic work! :tu:
Love the picture too. Fits the mood.
You have a new follower :wink:
Hey thanks jethro!

User avatar
telecode
KVRAF
1517 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 pm

That's really great sounding stuff. Real nice mood piece.

swartzfeger
KVRist
169 posts since 18 Feb, 2011 from Hawaii

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:21 pm

telecode wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 pm
That's really great sounding stuff. Real nice mood piece.
Hey thanks Tele, I followed you back on Soundcloud!

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9359 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:11 pm

I think this has a similar vibe to some of the guitar tracks on David Sylvian's Gone to Earth album. That's one of my favourite '80s albums, so this is a good thing, imho. Great sounds and atmosphere.

Good work :)

swartzfeger
KVRist
169 posts since 18 Feb, 2011 from Hawaii

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:35 pm

seismic1 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:11 pm
I think this has a similar vibe to some of the guitar tracks on David Sylvian's Gone to Earth album. That's one of my favourite '80s albums, so this is a good thing, imho. Great sounds and atmosphere.

Good work :)
Thanks so much! I haven’t heard Sylvian’s name since I was a teen and not familiar with his work... will check out. :)

experimental.crow
KVRAF
6102 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from the bridge of sighs

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:52 pm

black tea and codeine ...
feverish , a lucid dream ...
Image

codec_spurt
KVRAF
3968 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Reminds me of Spacemen 3.

In fact, reminds me of a track I heard recently from Amberience here on KVR - https://bridgedisaster.co.uk/

Drenched, soaked, drums, guitars. There's art to doing that and it not sounding shite.


Good work.

On both counts.
"Once a junkie, always a junkie, I guess" - Bruce Swedien.

codec_spurt
KVRAF
3968 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:03 pm

seismic1 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:11 pm
I think this has a similar vibe to some of the guitar tracks on David Sylvian's Gone to Earth album. That's one of my favourite '80s albums, so this is a good thing, imho. Great sounds and atmosphere.

Good work :)

Gone to Earth is right up there in my little collection of David Sylvian CD's.

Brilliant Trees would probably be my top.

I know some of the Ninja Tune DJ's love him - was it Strictly Kev (DJ Food)?

I can't really listen to that stuff now. It evokes too many emotions, too many memories.

Stuff like this is a nice journey back to that style of music, without drowning in the nostalgia of it all.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBupS5PMMsc
"Once a junkie, always a junkie, I guess" - Bruce Swedien.

codec_spurt
KVRAF
3968 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Just had a look who was doing guitar duties on Sylvian's first album (Brilliant Trees) and his third album (Gone to Earth).

I'm hearing Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew all over them but neither were on the first album and only Fripp was on Gone to Earth (which I already knew).

If David Sylvian albums were a fine wine, I'd be hearing tones of early Peter Gabriel, not just with the guitars but with the drumming/percussion. Someone like David Rhodes could work well on any of this stuff. Yeah, I know, he's pretty much Peter Gabriel's top session guitarist. I love him more for his ethereal work with Talk Talk though. Probably one of the few session guitarists in the world that could get a call and play with Sylvian any time as well.

This is not fantasy football!

And why am I not surprised to find Danny Thompson on Brilliant Trees? I knew Holger Czukay was on there, but funnily enough, he's not credited with bass. Which is what I thought he did.

It must be amazing to play at this top tier of musicians.

And not even play the instruments you are famous for.

Kudos.
"Once a junkie, always a junkie, I guess" - Bruce Swedien.

swartzfeger
KVRist
169 posts since 18 Feb, 2011 from Hawaii

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:41 pm

experimental.crow wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:52 pm
black tea and codeine ...
feverish , a lucid dream ...
codec_spurt wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:23 pm
I'm hearing Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew all over them but neither were on the first album and only Fripp was on Gone to Earth (which I already knew).
It's funny... as a teen, I was 99.99% prog, almost exclusively listened to Rush with a lot of Yes thrown in. I knew of Fripp and Belew, respected them a ton but listened to them very little. Interestingly, though, seeds for ambient were planted back then because my guilty pleasure was U2 and f*cking adored The Unforgettable Fire (Eno and Lanois, of course...)

Fast forward to 2002, my band had already broken up, and I hear this song that's blowing my **MIND** in the other room on the TV (one of those satellite/cable music channels). It's a band called Porcupine Tree and became obsessed.

Which of course helped me to (re)connect with ambient and re-discover Fripp and Belew and just a boatload of post rock and drone and IDM and a bunch of other stuff too. And of course, posts like this remind me there are cats from my teens that I had totally forgotten about like Sylvian and Henry Kaiser that I need to reconnect with.

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9359 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: "Laramie '68" by Blindcrake [ambient guitar, a little IDM]

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:03 pm
seismic1 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:11 pm
I think this has a similar vibe to some of the guitar tracks on David Sylvian's Gone to Earth album. That's one of my favourite '80s albums, so this is a good thing, imho. Great sounds and atmosphere.

Good work :)

Gone to Earth is right up there in my little collection of David Sylvian CD's.

Brilliant Trees would probably be my top.
I think most of Sylvian's back catalogue from Brilliant Trees to Snow Borne Sorrow (Nine Horses) is worth repeated, frequent listening.
codec_spurt wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:23 pm
Just had a look who was doing guitar duties on Sylvian's first album (Brilliant Trees) and his third album (Gone to Earth).

I'm hearing Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew all over them but neither were on the first album and only Fripp was on Gone to Earth (which I already knew).
Phil Palmer, Fripp, Bill Nelson, B.J. Cole, David Torn, Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, Derek Bailey are some of the guitarists that have featured on Sylvian's albums. Quite an impressive roll-call.

Return to “Music Cafe”