Half finished hiphop track with vocals, want to get feedback :)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-211959681/jucy-11-005

Happy for any feedback and constructive criticism :)

I'm just listening on my laptop, so I can't really critique the mix, it has the potential to be a really good song.
One thing I'll comment on is the vocals; They sound really restrained, I think it needs to be preformed much more aggressively, and maybe get some autotune on there. :tu:

Mix is muddy, try cutting some low/mid frequency...if you lose some bass doing that lookup pultec trick...vocals are not my favorite part, just sayin...

Vocals don't sound sincere ... and there's too much "motherfuckin'" in the lyric for my taste (presuming that's the chorus). Music has a very 1980s vibe to it but the drums aren't cutting through.

an-electric-heart wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:21 pm I'm just listening on my laptop, so I can't really critique the mix, it has the potential to be a really good song.
One thing I'll comment on is the vocals; They sound really restrained, I think it needs to be preformed much more aggressively, and maybe get some autotune on there. :tu:
Aw thanx =))

Yes the vocals could be more agressive, but I tried that and it got too much instead =/ Bits and pieces will get re recorded a bit more agressive though. As far as auto tune is concerned i am prolly not going to be using it.

mindstuff wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:45 pm Mix is muddy, try cutting some low/mid frequency...if you lose some bass doing that lookup pultec trick...vocals are not my favorite part, just sayin...
Aw, but i kinda like "mud" :) It's not too bad? I have snuck up a new copy now (top of the page) where I removed all under 70 hz now cuz of your comment, but i dont think it's enought for you.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:05 pm Vocals don't sound sincere ... and there's too much "motherfuckin'" in the lyric for my taste (presuming that's the chorus). Music has a very 1980s vibe to it but the drums aren't cutting through.
I don't understand what you mean about sincere? Could you elaborate? The vocals aren't really about anything context wise at this time. The mf word is used a lot to "fill up" the lyrics, when I was freestyling the lyrics hehehe. Might remove it, might not. Yes it's the 80's all over again, but I now snuck up a new version (top of page) where the kick drum is more prominent. Hope it pleases you =)

Its quite retro. I dont know why a picture of Russ Abbot came into my mind, but probably he did something like that at one stage. I dont think swearing in the lyrics is adding to the street cred.
Try doing some creative EQing on the vocals. I remember Trevor Horn saying his vocal wasn't good (Video Killed the Radio Star) so they cut the hi's and lows out and EQ'd his voice so it sounded more processed.

Bansaw wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:18 am Its quite retro. I dont know why a picture of Russ Abbot came into my mind, but probably he did something like that at one stage. I dont think swearing in the lyrics is adding to the street cred.
Try doing some creative EQing on the vocals. I remember Trevor Horn saying his vocal wasn't good (Video Killed the Radio Star) so they cut the hi's and lows out and EQ'd his voice so it sounded more processed.
I did as you said, and cut out some lows on the vocals, and added a little 3-4 khz to add clarity :) I think it sounds much better now. Hope you approve! The new version is uploaded over the old (top of page).

Uploaded a "clean" version of the chorus, no more MF words =)) Decided to ditch it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-211959681/jucy-11-007

Mesmerized Angel wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:28 am I did as you said, and cut out some lows on the vocals, and added a little 3-4 khz to add clarity :) I think it sounds much better now. Hope you approve! The new version is uploaded over the old (top of page).
I think you could even go a bit more extreme with the EQ (and saturation).
Have a listen to Buggles "Video killed the Radio star" on youtube.

Return to “Music Cafe”