New Song from me (electro pop) New Version. Opinions appreciated.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New version. I still need to do a bit more to the breakdown, but it's very close now.

https://soundcloud.com/anelectricheartmusic/gravity

And the previous version. The biggest difference in the mix isn't really apparent until the chorus.

https://soundcloud.com/anelectricheartm ... ty-new-mix

Cheers! :tu:
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bump for updated version. :phones:

I don't know man. Sounds great to me. But, I guess when you're a perfectionist. Anyway, nice 80s stuff here. Very well done.

Not my cup of pee..... I'm sure if it's pushed to the right demographic it would be a slammer.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 pm I don't know man. Sounds great to me. But, I guess when you're a perfectionist. Anyway, nice 80s stuff here. Very well done.
Interesting you should say that. I truly believe the first hurdle when getting into music production is learning not to be a perfectionist (I was unproductive for years). I truly believe that it's better to practice "finishing things in a timely fashion", rather than shooting for perfection. It takes me about three months to make a song, that sounds like a long time, but I only work on it about 3 hours a week. I work full time, and I'm also a boxer/boxing coach, so I'm in the gym a lot too. :tu:

I like where you are going but it is muddy in the mix, esp with the vocals.
Happy to help - maybe as a Mix Walkthrough video?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... mXIauoJraq
:-)

Benedict wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:20 am I like where you are going but it is muddy in the mix, esp with the vocals.
Happy to help - maybe as a Mix Walkthrough video?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... mXIauoJraq
:-)
It's a bit hard with this one, the entire music/backing track is "baked", I had to render it out, and then do the vocals in another session (also, I use fL, so exporting stems is also kind of tricky compared to normal multitrack DAW), so it's not possible to remix... well, not "not possible", but a major operation. In the context of the album that this track will be on, this is not a high-light track... so it's close enough. Interesting you say "muddy", I normally equate "muddy" to "too bassy", but I guess you mean it's a bit cluttered... and yeah, it is... but it's close enough. I've made minor changes since the version above. Cheers! :tu:
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's way too loud in that transients are crushed and I have a feeling there is a lot of haze caused by ISPs and muffled tracks. I think it's clarity and polish. Don't be afraid to lower loudness to bring back transients.

Good song as usual. :tu:

There are major clarity issues with the mix. It sounds like a second generation cassette copy. Even if it is a hassle, I think it is worth unfreezing the tracks to eliminate clipping or other issues. Also that snare is huge and is consuming a lot of space in the mix.

Alright, cheers guys. I'll get back into "music" session and see what I can do to tidy it up a bit.

I love your stuff, I'm subscribed to you on Soundcloud as you know.
Your voice was getting lost in the mix.
@2:28 thats a long and slow HP filter sweep which endures until 3:06. I dont think I've heard one that long, where the low end went away for that amount of time.
@3:41 liked the unique ending.
Loved the echoed "don't blink, don't blink", "down down down". You use echoing really well.
imho I think the chorus should perhaps stand out more in terms of energy, or in terms of perhaps being a few semitones higher compared to the verse to lift it up a bit.
Having said all that,... I hope my retro stuff gets as good as yours soon!

Alright, try this new version... but now that I've started tampering with things it needs more work.

https://soundcloud.com/anelectricheartm ... ty-new-mix

I like your song and vocals. You've captured the energy, vibe and arrangement of the genre. And yeah, lol when you start tampering at this stage it's dangerous. During my fresh ears first listen, the only thing that stood out as "confusing" the focus is during the intro 00:19 when you introduce your vocal and tambourines. You want undivided attention at that point on your vocals (you know that already as it's crutial in the build up to the first chorus) but the tambourines are distracting, but also part of that buildup so if you take them out then.... what do you put there or do you add them towards the end of the bar only?
I've gone through some of your soundcloud tracks even from years back and if anything your mix production has consistency. The only thing I'd say about the current track is it sounds a little "boxy" maybe in the 350-500Hz range, if you take some of that out it'll brighten the tops and fatten the bass, so you may also need to roll off the bass a little more.
Other than that seems polished and you're ready for the next project :D

Cheers again guys. Last night I did take the time to export all the separate parts from the "music" session, I was then able to mix the music with the vocals, and it's already sounding much better that the version above. I gated the kick and snare, they've got quite long tails, I scooped the kick out a lot, I've removed a lot of reverb from the instruments, and I've sculpted the low end of the bass synth to fit better, basically I've lost a fair bit of the "sub bass" end and boosted around 200hz... you'll hear it soon. :tu:

Bump for new mix, it's in the O.P. Ta.

Return to “Music Cafe”