Why you left Ableton?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I didn't take to Live for the same reason that I am probably going to dump Logic Pro. Once I became one with the Borg^H^H^H^HReaper workflow, whenever I try another DAW for a better UI, I inevitably run in to something that DAW simply cannot do or is much more of a hassle to do that is trivial in Reaper, and it irritates the crap out of me. The current offender is the weak sauce routing in Logic coupled with the inability for AU instruments to output routable MIDI in it. Conversely, getting one VSTi's sequencer to control other instruments took me approximately five seconds to do in Reaper and about 10 to do in Bitwig. Ableton would be fast there too.

Most won't believe me but I actually prefer Reaper's UI to Ableton's as well, mostly due to having no need for the Session view and just wanting to work in the Arrangement. And in the Arrangement view, Ableton puts the track headers on the right, which makes no sense; every other DAW puts them on the left. This all added up to contributing to me trying Live and shelving it more or less immediately. At least Bitwig puts the track headers on the correct side, even if everything is orange.

stoopicus wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:52 am I didn't take to Live for the same reason that I am probably going to dump Logic Pro. ......................... I actually prefer Reaper's UI to Ableton's as well, mostly due to having no need for the Session view and just wanting to work in the Arrangement.
Everyone is different, but I really don't like the way selection works in Reapers arrangement window, and of all the issues I have with Logic, the arrangement window is IMO near the top once you customize the shortcuts. In general my least favorite part of Live, Reaper and Bitwig is the way selection and the timeline works, I much prefer Logic, DP and my guess PT and Cubases methods. I don't want the timeline curser to 'stick' to whatever I last edited, I would rather choose that as an option not the default. :x

I left Ableton because it was necessary to abandon Windows, and because my workflow was headed towards gratis and libre open-source software, among other reasons.

stoopicus wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:52 am I didn't take to Live for the same reason that I am probably going to dump Logic Pro. Once I became one with the Borg^H^H^H^HReaper workflow, whenever I try another DAW for a better UI, I inevitably run in to something that DAW simply cannot do or is much more of a hassle to do that is trivial in Reaper, and it irritates the crap out of me. The current offender is the weak sauce routing in Logic coupled with the inability for AU instruments to output routable MIDI in it. Conversely, getting one VSTi's sequencer to control other instruments took me approximately five seconds to do in Reaper and about 10 to do in Bitwig. Ableton would be fast there too.

Most won't believe me but I actually prefer Reaper's UI to Ableton's as well, mostly due to having no need for the Session view and just wanting to work in the Arrangement. And in the Arrangement view, Ableton puts the track headers on the right, which makes no sense; every other DAW puts them on the left. This all added up to contributing to me trying Live and shelving it more or less immediately. At least Bitwig puts the track headers on the correct side, even if everything is orange.
With the Coramel23 palette(from PreSonus Exchange), the S1 looks acceptably good and can also route MIDI, but since I've only been using the demo for 3 days, it's not clear how stable it is, given that everyone complains about this.

It's also sad that it can only render its own MIDI effects non-realtime, but for the piano-roll, for example, it's quite usable... for more https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... N75RKXFGB7

(in Tracktion Waveform, the track header is also on the right..)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

machinesworking wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:37 am Everyone is different,
I agree. Not even that, but time periods make us different as well. For example, 10 years ago, I was very busy about routing. Midi routing especially, even if I didn't have a use for it! I also compared DAWs to smallest details.

Now, I just test the things that I use mostly. Recently, my Linux experience told me that I don't need about 90% of what I bought! I of course didn't install any Windows VST. I'm using just native Linux VST with Bitwig mainly.

I haven't left Windows or Mac yet, but I prefer Linux maybe because deep inside me I don't trust big companies in general. So, I'm trying to keep my dependence as minimum as I can.

The more I use Bitwig, the more I feel pleased with it. Ableton Live doesn't attract me anymore, although I liked the environment and the graphic style. The workflow, well, I can get used to it after using it a lot, but I don't need to do that :) Bitwig can be a perfect replacement. Of course it has its disadvantages and negative side, however for me, I haven't hit any wall with it. While with Ableton Live, the performance was a big wall I couldn't remove it. Using Live under Wine is no option as well for me, why bother?!

xbitz wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:09 am
stoopicus wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:52 am I didn't take to Live for the same reason that I am probably going to dump Logic Pro. Once I became one with the Borg^H^H^H^HReaper workflow, whenever I try another DAW for a better UI, I inevitably run in to something that DAW simply cannot do or is much more of a hassle to do that is trivial in Reaper, and it irritates the crap out of me. The current offender is the weak sauce routing in Logic coupled with the inability for AU instruments to output routable MIDI in it. Conversely, getting one VSTi's sequencer to control other instruments took me approximately five seconds to do in Reaper and about 10 to do in Bitwig. Ableton would be fast there too.

With the Coramel23 palette(from PreSonus Exchange), the S1 looks acceptably good and can also route MIDI, but since I've only been using the demo for 3 days, it's not clear how stable it is, given that everyone complains about this.

It's also sad that it can only render its own MIDI effects non-realtime, but for the piano-roll, for example, it's quite usable... for more https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... N75RKXFGB7

I have searched for that Coramel23 palette but where can i find that? It looks indeed great i have a studio one artist license just to try on linux.

questionaire wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:31 am
xbitz wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:09 am

I have searched for that Coramel23 palette but where can i find that? It looks indeed great i have a studio one artist license just to try on linux.
Found it

But where can i find the load colorpalette file?

^^^ it's in the S1 download manager, View/Additional Views/Transfer
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:18 pm ^^^ it's in the S1 download manager, View/Additional Views/Transfer
Thanks! Found it

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”