One Synth Challenge #132: ToneZ by t0nit0rmx (MrKarollus Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... -132-tonez

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #132! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Would you like to support this month's developer? Donate Here or See source code here

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

ToneZ is a beast with: 4 morphing 8x voice oscillators, 4 envelopes, 2 filters, 2 LFO's, and built in Distortion, along with 5 other effects. :party: :party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6d5HGMuKwI

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

NEW Additional Bonus Prize!
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a small cash bonus of $30. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

SoundGym : 6 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

Sonimus : Any one Plugin (1 license given away per month, max 3 in persons lifetime)

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

Synthmorph: Any 1 soundset

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune. Unfortunately his main site is down, but if you still want these, let us know!

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • Mix Challenge - Who can mix a song the best (Without adding extra recordings /musical additions)? Each person starts out with the same stems. Also includes other competitions, like the Song Writing Competition.
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Well, pretty standard subtractive synth, very well organized. you'll learn this synth in about 5 minutes. I can see why people are for this synth and against it. It's sort of like a synth1 revamp with more options, but nothing screams super interesting character to me. It's capable though, I'm sure this will produce a wide range of entries.

Just thought I'd post initial thoughts,
ToneZ, doesn't save presets when you close the daw or install upon reopening and crashed a few times on higher notes.
This could be just me though, it seems interesting especially the adsr setup.

Let the fun and hair pulling begin :D

Oh yeah and watch out for full distortion :hyper:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Seems fun so far!

Some notes:
- VST3 version is broken in Bitwig 3.1.2. GUI is simply non-functional
- Voice control is difficult. Amp envelopes don't control the master voice, so if you have a pitch envelope that lasts longer than the amp envelope, you'll get weird oscillator detuning
- Filters sound good, though resonance is a bit wobbly in my experience so far
- Compressor has a backwards threshold. This caught me off guard at first. Not an issue, just a note

Question: Bitwig has it's modulators which can be used to control parameters of the synth (Kinda like automatic automation). Would I be allowed to use those on the synth itself? Or does that count as modulation plug-ins?

I'm hoping I can actually finish a track for this one. It's a neat little synth!

Edit: It also seems as though the mono mode (Portamento) is struggling to retrigger when played rapidly. The voicing is quite strange to me. Maybe someone has a good explanation?
Last edited by dakkra on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Midi modulations are fine, ie anything which modulates synth parameters. Modulation of audio from the synth is not.

RichardSemper wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:53 pm Midi modulations are fine, ie anything which modulates synth parameters. Modulation of audio from the synth is not.
Fantastic! Thank you for the fast response :tu:
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Sheeesh. That's one hungry little beast. I'm surprised, because all things around this one, website, installer, all that stuff makes it feel like here's a totally pro level piece of vst. But it really behaves more like it's still in "debug" mode with some earlier, still somewhat raw DSP experiments. Sounds a bit like it's creating waveforms that are then being read with some interpolation for anti aliasing, creating the usual, scratchy artifacts and all that familiar misbehaving, hehe. But it does so pretty "heavily", making a simple sound with two OSCs and single voices, a LP2 filter, two envs, two lfos and it's practically on its knees at this point.
With appreciation and honest gratitude for the effort, I'm almost certain I'll have to bow out on this one...
It's just a certain feeling I get, like it seems that it doesn't quite have the edge that makes it interesting enough to deal with the troubles. But, who knows, maybe I'll change my mind along the way... :shrug:

Sad to hear that! But the sound from two ToneZ oscillators loads my CPU just like 2 Syncla-X four oscillators each! It looks like we'll have to use fewer sounds at the same time...

Someone should build a synth that uses so much CPU you just have to program it and render, no real time playing allowed! #onesynthchallenge accepted!

Synth looks interesting but unfortunately it's not working for me (Ableton Live 10.1.7, Windows 10):

VST2: Ableton excludes the plugin while starting
VST3: Ableton recognizes the plugin but crashes when trying to load it

EDIT: Found a way to make it work: I downloaded the library from https://cabbageaudio.com/download/, installed it in a new folder in my VST folder and installed Tonez VST2 in there too.
Last edited by Darksynth FX on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Same here.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\ToneZ.vst3

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Not a plug-in file

I think it may need a library that I don't have installed.

Well, Mac VST2 in Bitwig is working quite well; too bad to hear about issues :(

An aside, it looks like the plugin was built with Cabbage: cabbageaudio.com, which might be great for some non-programmers who are interested in making synths or effects! also, it might have some information about how to fix stuff for windows... just a thought

When I turn on LP3 filter notes become sustained, even though AMP envelope has no sustain on it. Is this intentional or a bug?

Plug-in Discovery: Win 10, Bitwig 3.1.2, ToneZ VST2 64Bits, discovery works, plug-in shows up. VST3 does not show up.
If it does not show up I recommand a.) to use VST2 version and b.) check how the plug-in discovery of your DAW is configured. I use the "Prefere VST3 over VST2" mode rather than "Use VST3 only" mode. That might help ...

Performance: In my experiment I use a single OSC, 8 detuned voices, 1 Filter. Played some chords in a loop. My projects audio quality is set to 24 bits, 96Khz.
* With Amp Release Time at around 400msec - CPU spikes and I get crackles.
* Wihtout Amp Release Time - CPU meter shows lower level as expected, no crackles.
Same with project quality setting reduced to 16 bits, 48Khz shows even better results.

BR
] Peter:H [

z.prime wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:37 am Well, Mac VST2 in Bitwig is working quite well; too bad to hear about issues :(

An aside, it looks like the plugin was built with Cabbage: cabbageaudio.com, which might be great for some non-programmers who are interested in making synths or effects! also, it might have some information about how to fix stuff for windows... just a thought
Thanks a lot for the tip! :tu: I downloaded the library from https://cabbageaudio.com/download/, installed it in a new folder in my VST folder and installed Tonez VST2 in there too. Works now!

Return to “Instruments”