Et in Arcadia ego (ElectroProg/Dark Ambient - Seismic Shadows)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From the Seismic frying-pan, here is a piece of dark ambient speculation featuring Lounge Lizard, Miroslav Philharmonik and SampleTron.

After 21 months of almost complete inactivity (apart from the odd remix), it was great to finally complete something new.

Cloudborne sonics at:-

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/et-in-arcadia-ego

Abused devices roster:-

Recorded/Mixed in EnergyXT2.7
AAS Lounge Lizard EP-4
IK Miroslav Philharmonik
IK SampleTron
2C Audio Aether
NewFangled Audio Equivocate
IK Classic EQ
BC Gain 3
U-He Satin

Mastered in T-Racks 5
Linear Phase Equalizer
EQP-1A

DR - 9
Last edited by seismic1 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glad you finally finished something new. To be honest, given the length of the piece, I wasn't going to listen. With all the music I've done in my life, I can count on one hand the number of tracks I've done over 8 minutes long. The problem with long pieces like this is you never know what to expect or where they're going to go. After 3 minutes, it was obvious that this wasn't going to offer much in the way of change. By 4 minutes I was pretty bored.

I get that there are folks really into this ambient stuff (I'm assuming that's what this is called) but I need a little more variety in my music. Even if it's unmusical chaos, just to break up the monotony.

I have heard 8 minute tracks (mostly various trance genres) that I've found very interesting. And of course old prog rock with its constant changes, which is one of my favorite genres. But this stuff does absolutely nothing for me. Not because the soundscape itself isn't nice, because those instruments, on their own, sound pretty good. But musically, it's like listening to paint dry. For me anyway. I have no doubt that, because of the beauty of the sounds itself, you will get many comments along the lines of "Wow, that was amazing!"

I just need more than nice sounds.

Please feel free to completely disregard my comments as they are totally meaningless anyway.

But congrats on finishing something.

Nice and brooding slow-burn. Here's to finishing stuff :tu:

Sadness indeed! A cinematic approach, maybe sound without pictures. Stripped down to minimal happenings. Nice work.

Sad and a bit scary mood.
A soundtrack for the funeral procession with the ghosts.
Good job.

There is a feeling of sadness and emptiness but something much darker lies beneath... that is how I perceive it. Entertaining. :)
Music, just like tortilla, is no fun without a bit of "cheese". :clown:
soundcloud.com/vertlain

wagtunes wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:35 pm Glad you finally finished something new. To be honest, given the length of the piece, I wasn't going to listen. With all the music I've done in my life, I can count on one hand the number of tracks I've done over 8 minutes long. The problem with long pieces like this is you never know what to expect or where they're going to go. After 3 minutes, it was obvious that this wasn't going to offer much in the way of change. By 4 minutes I was pretty bored.

I get that there are folks really into this ambient stuff (I'm assuming that's what this is called) but I need a little more variety in my music. Even if it's unmusical chaos, just to break up the monotony.

I have heard 8 minute tracks (mostly various trance genres) that I've found very interesting. And of course old prog rock with its constant changes, which is one of my favorite genres. But this stuff does absolutely nothing for me. Not because the soundscape itself isn't nice, because those instruments, on their own, sound pretty good. But musically, it's like listening to paint dry. For me anyway. I have no doubt that, because of the beauty of the sounds itself, you will get many comments along the lines of "Wow, that was amazing!"

Please feel free to completely disregard my comments as they are totally meaningless anyway.

My problem over the last 21 months was principally related to being unable to make any new music (lack of time), as opposed to being unable to complete it, although I may not have been too clear on that point.

That is a scathing review. You didn't want to listen, got bored whilst listening, found it monotonous, and likened it to listening to paint drying.

If your comments were meaningless, better to put your brain in gear before posting.

Maybe I should call it a day :(

Love this! (as I have already said :wink: ) . Beautifully dark atmosphere and very well produced. Great work Tim :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

seismic1 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:54 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:35 pm Glad you finally finished something new. To be honest, given the length of the piece, I wasn't going to listen. With all the music I've done in my life, I can count on one hand the number of tracks I've done over 8 minutes long. The problem with long pieces like this is you never know what to expect or where they're going to go. After 3 minutes, it was obvious that this wasn't going to offer much in the way of change. By 4 minutes I was pretty bored.

My problem over the last 21 months was principally related to being unable to make any new music (lack of time), as opposed to being unable to complete it, although I may not have been too clear on that point.

That is a scathing review. You didn't want to listen, got bored whilst listening, found it monotonous, and likened it to listening to paint drying.

If your comments were meaningless, better to put your brain in gear before posting.

My friend, if you're looking for people to just say "Great Job!" and give you a :tu: maybe you should post that requirement along with your composition. I gave you an honest review. I don't think it was all that scathing. In fact, musically, it was quite accurate. Your piece had very little development. And for an 8 minute piece to have very little development, that can feel like an eternity to those not into this stuff.

If you prefer me not to comment on anymore of your music, just say so and I will stay out of your threads. I have no problem doing that.

Brooding, heavy atmospheric piece. The thematic repetition gets a bit long in the tooth, but it's offset nicely by the evolving orchestration. Good work, and good to hear that you're productive again.

Best,

dp

Very well ! It is broad and dark as unconsciousness itself. Very slowly opening and consuming you. I liked it a lot !

seismic1 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:54 pm.

dont you f**king dare.
ignore wags, only one comment was everything you needed "not for me"
anything after that was irrelevant.

look at it this way

a man walks in to a room, a man is doing something...
several people seem interested.

"i have no idea what it is you are doing"

shouts the newcomer.

"as i dont understand it im going to tear it down" he continues

"i shall judge it against things i do understand, even though this is nothing like them"

"hey, its your fault i dont know what im talking about" he adds defensively, "if you only want comments based on some knowledge of the subject, you should say so" he finishes and leaves. safe in the knowledge, yet again he is the victim.

the man in the room, and those who are still listening, look up and ask as one "did anyone hear something?"

edit: just not worth it.
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:47 pm

dont you f**king dare.
Maybe you should listen to vurt :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

vurt wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:47 pm

dont you f**king dare.
ignore wags, only one comment was everything you needed "not for me"
anything after that was irrelevant.

look at it this way

a man walks in to a room, a man is doing something...
several people seem interested.

"i have no idea what it is you are doing"

shouts the newcomer.

"as i dont understand it im going to tear it down" he continues

"i shall judge it against things i do understand, even though this is nothing like them"

"hey, its your fault i dont know what im talking about" he adds defensively, "if you only want comments based on some knowledge of the subject, you should say so" he finishes and leaves. safe in the knowledge, yet again he is the victim.

the man in the room, and those who are still listening, look up and ask as one "did anyone hear something?"
I don't think you're being very fair to me but whatever. I listened to the song and I responded in a way as to how the song sounded to me. I could have lied and said "Hey man, great stuff" but then what's the point?

Have we all become so sensitive that we can't even take criticism of our work? I didn't insult him personally. I commented on his music. Even another person in this thread commented that it was terribly repetitious and yet nobody gets on his case.

Oh that's right, it's me. I forgot.

Anyway, my apologies for criticizing the music. I will make a note never to comment on this person's music ever again, adding it to the list of several people here I need to keep away from.

But what bothers me the most is that of all people, I didn't expect you to get on my case simply for giving an honest opinion.

And with that, I'm done.

Return to “Music Cafe”