Best Advice Given?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey! What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given in regards mixing or production? Mine was 'Turn your faders down and your speakers up'.
Simple but such a great piece of advice. That and learn proper gain staging. Both tips helped me immensely. :tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Stay with your DAW stock plugins and don't buy because of fancy fanboi comments other stuff...

"Go to KVR Audio for info and chat."

:roll:

Spend most of the mix at as low a volume as possible and take frequent breaks.

"never listen to production advices from random guys in the internet"

On a serious note: "treat your room and get good monitors". That was it (at least I hope so, cause I followed the second part of that advice myslef only few days ago :) ).
Last edited by recursive one on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Another vote for gain staging.

Use visualizers along with Your ears.

Watch your levels.

Louder isn’t better so learn about dynamic range.

If you like a creative result, then stick with it, don’t let other ppl convince you your sound isn’t right, especially on forums. It is your sound after all :phones:

Have fun, but also remember to keep working on making it better when it starts not being fun. Basically ..don’t give up :tu:

Keep learning lots
:borg:

have fun, no one dies if you f**k up.

Mine was “I wouldn’t go in there again as he’s really drunk and says he wants to kill you”

Forgotten wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:50 pm Mine was “I wouldn’t go in there again as he’s really drunk and says he wants to kill you”
hopefully not from the missus after youd just told her dad you were engaged :o

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:52 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:50 pm Mine was “I wouldn’t go in there again as he’s really drunk and says he wants to kill you”
No, after we left he was doing some kind of happy dance and clearing out her bedroom... :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:45 pm have fun, no one dies if you f**k up.
i suppose a little explanation is in order...

it was early on in my explorations as a professional engineer, i was still tweaking knobs like a safe cracker.
his point was, tweak that shit, if you go too far, then dial it back, going too far doesnt break anything, avoiding it by being over cautious can kill the energy in the room though.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:55 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:52 pm
No, after we left he was doing some kind of happy dance and clearing out her bedroom... :hihi:
:lol:

When adjusting EQ, cut first, then add only if necessary.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

In the words of Charlie Parker: “Learn the theory, learn your instrument, then forget all that shit and just play.”

Return to “Production Techniques”