Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

Paul Eye wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pm If the plugin's functionality isn't dependent on it being in some hardcoded path, then at least give us an option. Most users probably will install in a default/standard location, and that's fine. Let the rest of us (control freaks) install the plugins wherever we please. Best of both worlds, and everyone's happy :D
I like the way that iZotope installers give you a choice of either a default easy install, or a custom install. Problem solved. Choose the easy install and things go where the developer thinks they belong, or choose custom and you put them wherever you wish!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

TheWaveWarden wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:09 pm Hey folks,

I just uploaded version 2.3.3 to my homepage

Highlights this time are
- support for the new CLAP plugin type
- native support for Apple M1
- much improved UI visuals when using OS display scaling
- some bug fixes which had been piling up
- switched build system to CMake

A big shout out goes to Baconpaul from team Surge / CLAP. All the name worthy features were implemented by him! :clap:

The switch to CMake is a rather big change and I didn't have a lot of time to extensively test things, but today was the deadline. So if you find any issues please let me know.

Full changelog:
- added CLAP plugin support
- added native M1 Mac support
- much improved UI appearance when using OS display scaling
- switched build system to CMake
- made WinInstaller suitable for systems not mounted on C:
- fixed symbol name clashes for "Knob" and "Filter"
- fixed issue where renaming a soundbank would select the bank above
Beautiful update!! Thank you so much!!

Also, I may be wrong, but I believe your app is the first official CLAP app that I’ve seen announced. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Surge XT was available as CLAP for over a month now, but more plugins are joining the fold!

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:50 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:27 pmNo it's a terrible practice and no one is "throwing a fit".
You are. Right in that very post. :D
Ironic that the very CLAP format came about when a few developers threw a fit because they didn't like the way Steinberg is doing things.

I'm just providing feedback from a potential customer, not "throwing a fit". I simply don't want the format to tell me where I have to install CLAP plugins. Sorry if that upsets you so much. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It is not the format telling you where to place it, it is the installer of the specific dev.
There are installers that let you define where to place VST3 and installers that don't.
Same with Clap.
That there is a DEFAULT STANDARD folder is good though.
Could be good to have a defined registry setting for the path for advanced users.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:46 pm
Paul Eye wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pmLet the rest of us (control freaks) install the plugins wherever we please.
But as mentioned, you already have a method to install things wherever you want with symlinks?
Of course that's a workaround that works. But still, it's an unnecessary workaround to work around (heh) the fact that we're not given options. And how many people even know what a symlink is?
Then of course, my preferred method of "installing" plugins is: download archive, extract plugin file into a dev subdir of my VST dir. Plain and simple.

And that only works for simple plugins that don't contain any extra assets (presets, samples, skins, etc.). It's not as clear cut a situation that works for every case. For vast majority of people, they just click Next on the installer and that's it - and that same group people often had path hell issues back in VST2 days, so a standardized default location is the best possible solution to avoid that same hell all over again.

Paul Eye wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:46 pm Of course that's a workaround that works. But still, it's an unnecessary workaround to work around (heh) the fact that we're not given options. And how many people even know what a symlink is?
Then of course, my preferred method of "installing" plugins is: download archive, extract plugin file into a dev subdir of my VST dir. Plain and simple.
So write a request to the developer to include that option in the installer.
It is NOT the format that withholds the option to chose your own location.
And Clap can also be delivered in a zip archive...
:?: :?: :?: :?:
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:20 pm Or better - use a symbolic link from your wanted location to the standard-defined location. If you so must.

Moving things out manually is never a good thing. People forget to do that again when updating a plugin, then they wonder why they just updated but plugin is still the old version. Symlink automatically sorts this out - the installer sees the standard-defined location, but the plugin(s) actually get installed to wherever else you want. If you're so inclined.
Look at you talking about symbolic links like a Linux user, and not mentioning shortcuts like a Windows user! :) Are you sure you don’t use Linux? ;)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Pretty sure, haha. Symbolic links/junctions do exist in Windows as well. And they're super cool!

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:27 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:17 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:05 pmOdd that a new plugin format designed to free both developers and users from forced Standards would dictate an install location.
It's not odd at all - it's a good practice to have an enforced install location, as it was proven time and time again that VST2 was super messy about this, and nobody wanted to repeat that mistake. Besides, you don't get a custom path for AAX or AU either, and you don't see anyone throwing a fit because of that. There's very good reasons to do this.
No it's a terrible practice and no one is "throwing a fit". Have you ever heard anyone complain that VST2 gives us options?

I want to decide where my plugins are installed just like I have for many years. I don't want developers telling me where they think my plugins should go. It's really that simple.

Then CLAP is no better than VST3 and no I don't want to hear about symbolic links. If CLAP forces install to the C: Drive then that's a mistake. Period.

So that wizz bang new format that's supposed to free us from Steinberg's draconian control thinks it should have control over our systems.

Ok whatever..... :roll:
Lighten up, Francis ;)

https://youtu.be/2H-Cs-fi5tA

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:32 pm Surge XT was available as CLAP for over a month now, but more plugins are joining the fold!
I wasn’t aware. My mistake. :)

outta here
Last edited by JockMcRonan on Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:41 pm It is not the format telling you where to place it, it is the installer of the specific dev.
There are installers that let you define where to place VST3 and installers that don't.
Same with Clap.
Sorry that's not the case at least with U-he installers:

Hive CLAP.png
Hive CLAP 2.png

No option where to install the CLAP plugin and it forces install to the C: Drive. Mistake #1. Installs to the Program Folder. Mistake # 2.

So we've gone from Steinberg telling us what to do to CLAP telling us what to do. That's not progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Why not send a feature request to u-he then?
And get into a conversation with the CLAP team?

The proposal and initial draft is presented today, so if you find things to improve, get involved instead of just OMGing.

And again, this is an installer from a company, not GODs final word ;-)

Breathe.

Return to “Instruments”