Where to start for Jazz

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not a good pianist or guitarist.Most of the stuff that I make are made in my DAW piano roll.And I mostly make electronic music.But I've great zeal for learning new stuff.I know basics of chords & stuffs.Now I want to learn about jazz music theory and how to utilise it.But I don't know where to start & what sort of materials to look out for further reading & watching

I would start with learning some typical chord progressions for jazz using 7ths.

For example, ii-V-I is very common, so you could play in C:

Dm-G-C-C

The 7ths in this case are:

Dm7 - G7 - C Maj7 - C Maj7

However, playing them straight will not sound like jazz - almost everything in jazz is played with swing. Listen to some various jazz pieces, and play this progression with the same rhythm.

Once you’ve got the accompaniment down, then you can learn to improvise. Playing these chords with the left hand can be difficult, so you can play them as rootless, or without the 5th. Be careful of your voice leading so that the inversions you choose keep the left hand movement to a minimum.

To learn improvisation, start with something like a pentatonic blues scale (minor pentatonic with an added flat 5th).

That should get you started.

To add to Forgotten's advice, I would suggest a starting point might be, to take some time out to listen to some Jazz. The term Jazz, covers a wide scope. For example, I like Bebop, Hard Bop, and free Jazz, but dislike Fusion, and while I don't dislike it, I seldom listen to big band swing, preferring in my case, the likes of Charles Mingus and Kenny Burrell.

Some artist's figured in more than one Jazz movement throughout their career; Coltrane for example, moved through Bebop, Hard Bop, and then in the sixties, free Jazz.

Yes, listening is really important, as jazz is much more than just the notes on the page.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:49 am Yes, listening is really important, as jazz is much more than just the notes on the page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebUMhJAKSM

Nice.

G-reat!

:hihi:

That was hilarious. I liked this one:

Louis Balfour: "What are you going to play for us today, Jackson?"
Jackson Jeffery Jackson: "Trumpet."
Louis Balfour: "No . . . er . . . what tune?"
Jackson Jeffery Jackson: "Tune . . . ? This is jazz!"

Forgotten wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:49 pm I would start with learning some typical chord progressions for jazz using 7ths.

For example, ii-V-I is very common, so you could play in C:

Dm-G-C-C

The 7ths in this case are:

Dm7 - G7 - C Maj7 - C Maj7

However, playing them straight will not sound like jazz - almost everything in jazz is played with swing. Listen to some various jazz pieces, and play this progression with the same rhythm.

Once you’ve got the accompaniment down, then you can learn to improvise. Playing these chords with the left hand can be difficult, so you can play them as rootless, or without the 5th. Be careful of your voice leading so that the inversions you choose keep the left hand movement to a minimum.

To learn improvisation, start with something like a pentatonic blues scale (minor pentatonic with an added flat 5th).

That should get you started.
Can you give a chronological order of things to be learned in jazz please

I can‘t recommend this Book enough:

https://www.halleonard.com/product/3120 ... -real-book

Jazz theory in a nutshell with a lot of Good advice how to play
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

msf sadib wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 amCan you give a chronological order of things to be learned in jazz please
Start by understanding what makes you enjoy jazz.

pljones wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:50 am
msf sadib wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 amCan you give a chronological order of things to be learned in jazz please
Start by understanding what makes you enjoy jazz.
+1
Deeply study (listen, sing, copy, transcribe) the attributes (sound, rhythm, melody, harmony, form) of specific jazz pieces you love.
That will help you clarify what you need to learn for your own music.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

first thing i would suggest is understanding the concept of modes.
my music:
blend.io/septimon

Septimon wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:10 am first thing i would suggest is understanding the concept of modes.
I have the concept of modes though.but it gets to implement between those

msf sadib wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 am Can you give a chronological order of things to be learned in jazz please
Listen to jazz
Decide what kind you want to play
Learn the theory
Learn the rhythms
Learn your instrument
Play jazz

msf sadib wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:45 pm
Septimon wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:10 am first thing i would suggest is understanding the concept of modes.
I have the concept of modes though.but it gets to implement between those
Get the book i mentioned above. (How to play from a realbook“ It has a very good structure.
my music:
blend.io/septimon

Return to “Music Theory”