Where to start for Jazz

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What the hell man !! who is disliking the people posting in this thread !!! have some decency man !

jancivil wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:09 pm
msf sadib wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:45 pm So I should try adding chromatic passing chords as little as possible or there is any other solution to make it work?
There’s no formula, this is a contextual musical consideration. The ii and V function is not ‘passing’. For the inserted secondary function there probably isn’t time for more, it’s already getting pretty busy.

“Em7 to EbM7 - chromatic” - Yes.

Particularly w. the flat five principle it’s already just about maximally chromatic.
so Em7 here is the meadian substitute of C maj 7.But what relation has Em7 got with the A7?

msf sadib wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 pm Thanks for the information.Can you please explain the last example-Chromatic Cycling Secondary ii, V
It just fills in chromatically between E and D. Ab7 doesn’t function to Dm, so this Ebm7 to Ab7 is “passing”.

I missed this: “can it be that there is only secondary dominant relation only between B7 and Em7?” Yes, there’s a reason for the plain minor. :oops:

msf sadib wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:19 pm so Em7 here is the meadian substitute of C maj 7.But what relation has Em7 got with the A7?
In D, ii - V. The two keys C and [putative] D minor overlap, no problem; temporary and fluid, in motion. Jazzers may tend to b5 there regardless of Em7 as the target of B7, as Em is not a ‘solid’ tonic.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msf sadib wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:16 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm Look at the interval between the first column and the second - Em7 to EbM7 - that's a minor 2nd interval, so it's chromatic in this context.

I think passing chords are more of an ornamentation than anything else.
So Em7 here has no relation with the A7 here?
A7 is the V7, and Em7 is the ii7 (assuming D Major tonic)
Last edited by Forgotten on Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msf sadib wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:17 pm What the hell man !! who is disliking the people posting in this thread !!! have some decency man !
theres someone very sad here, im assuming obviously, that the same person is the one following me.
a picture of my grandchild just got a downvote :lol:

It’s some very feeble, pitiable fvck who lacks the stones or the capacity to argue any point.

mental age = 4

seriously, get a life. following me around 24/7 just to register a personal problem every single time I post is a sign something is just missing, emotionally, let alone mentally. It’s only of interest as an aberration (a sick joke), I really don’t care.

Forgotten wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm Look at the interval between the first column and the second - Em7 to EbM7 - that's a minor 2nd interval, so it's chromatic in this context.

How do I know if it's Em7-A7 is the substitution of C major 7 or if it's tonicizing the D major chord.

msf sadib wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:12 pm I'm not a good pianist or guitarist.Most of the stuff that I make are made in my DAW piano roll.And I mostly make electronic music.But I've great zeal for learning new stuff.I know basics of chords & stuffs.Now I want to learn about jazz music theory and how to utilise it.But I don't know where to start & what sort of materials to look out for further reading & watching
Let me help you with that. https://www.google.com
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

risome wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 pm
msf sadib wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:12 pm I'm not a good pianist or guitarist.Most of the stuff that I make are made in my DAW piano roll.And I mostly make electronic music.But I've great zeal for learning new stuff.I know basics of chords & stuffs.Now I want to learn about jazz music theory and how to utilise it.But I don't know where to start & what sort of materials to look out for further reading & watching
After 7 pages of people being willing to help, I don't think he needs Google...

msf sadib wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:09 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 pm

How do I know if it's Em7-A7 is the substitution of C major 7 or if it's tonicizing the D major chord.
It could be either. I think it's giving the ii and V as options.

Forgotten wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:23 pm
After 7 pages of people being willing to help, I don't think he needs Google...
what an asshole
Last edited by jancivil on Wed May 27, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mate if google had all the answers.I would have been to the stars

It def is tonicizing D. ‘mediant substitute for C’ notwithstanding.

Return to “Music Theory”