What is wrong with Cubase?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am a Studio One/Live user but the more I dive in to Cubase (because of media composing needs)the more I am amazed by it's features. As far as I can tell for linear workflow it is more advanced than the most and constantly updated. So what went wrong and this DAW is not more popular than for example Logic which is way limited compared to Cubase and had a last feature update in Jan 2018? You almost never see any one using it on youtube tutorials or famous users etc. Apart from media composers using it, it looks like it does not exist.
Is it Steinberg's failure of brand management, not enough PR? Or having trouble to reach new generation of producers songwriters? Dongle? Price? Workflow?
I'll admit since I stopped using it in 90s and forgetting about it, I thought it was left behind by others but when I started to work with it again I couldn't believe how advanced it is than the most.

It's bigger brother Nuendo is currently the most advanced audio production system you can get. Beats Pro Tools Ultimate by a wide margin imho.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steinberg won the battle and lost the war...
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I see Cubase used everywhere on YouTube, rarely Logic, hardly ever Live, so may be it is just a perception effect of a filter bubble (my focus is on hybrid orchestral stuff). Cubase is functionally great, but still not up to date workflow/GUI-wise.

andypryce wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:22 pmAs far as I can tell for linear workflow it is more advanced than the most and constantly updated. So what went wrong and this DAW is not more popular...
I wouldn't say it's not popular. I see it a lot.

But what you said above might also be the reason why it's not as popular as Live, for example. Cubase probably has the most features and you can do the same thing usually in 2-3 ways. The problem is most people don't need half of what it offers (so it seems a bit crowded) and that many of those features were implemented 10-20 years ago with a different workflows, GUIs, etc. (so it seems klunky and inconsistent). The dongle is just a nail to the coffin.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

i think cubase is used quite a lot. there are tons of advanced vids on YT on the Steinberg YT channel. They have a pretty cool google hangout session they do regularly where you can get a lot of advanced tips. I wish more companies that instead of marketing fluff with sound engneer pro's.

i think the reason you don't see as much popularity on YT is, as was mentioned, the cracking issue, but also, a lot of music makers and "prodoozahs" aren't actual musicians in the traditional sense. Its a hobby and a tool to gain more social media popularity. So they will default to a easy to use DAW like FL or something [1].

from a levethal tracking session in his studio. though i am sure that guy thas probably $100k of vintage outboard gear.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsdi-qRhldB/

[1] don't get me wrong. i tried FL DAW a while ago and was so blown away by what it has become compared to when i knew it as fruity loops.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

In my area and as I can see EU in general, Cubase is like industry standard for recording studios, arrangers, producers and everything in between.

I think it is actively used by composer who are doing for movie, game, TV, etc. They are utilizing its hardcore features for their work and no DAW can replace it. But I'm sure it's not the kind of daw instagram celebrity showing of as their gadget to look cool.
Last edited by tooneba on Sat May 09, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andypryce wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:22 pm I am a Studio One/Live user but the more I dive in to Cubase (because of media composing needs)the more I am amazed by it's features. As far as I can tell for linear workflow it is more advanced than the most and constantly updated. So what went wrong and this DAW is not more popular than for example Logic which is way limited compared to Cubase and had a last feature update in Jan 2018? You almost never see any one using it on youtube tutorials or famous users etc. Apart from media composers using it, it looks like it does not exist.
As has been mentioned, Cubase is very popular.

Cubendo is my Daw of choice and has been since about 2001.......

Logic afaik is much cheaper. Some Genres are best suited for other DAWS (like Trap in FL, and I am sure Ableton Live has some genres that it really excels in).

And then there is the D word... I think ProTools is the only other DAW I can think of that uses a dongle.

Also, I would be surprised if other than Pro Tools, all other DAWS haven't been written or rewritten from the ground up more recently than Cubendo, which for instance prevents it from adding plugins to the audio track whilst it playing and it continues to play glitch free, which apparently many other DAWS can do?
rsp
sound sculptist

andypryce wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:22 pm I am a Studio One/Live user but the more I dive in to Cubase (because of media composing needs)the more I am amazed by it's features. As far as I can tell for linear workflow it is more advanced than the most and constantly updated. So what went wrong and this DAW is not more popular than for example Logic which is way limited compared to Cubase and had a last feature update in Jan 2018? You almost never see any one using it on youtube tutorials or famous users etc. Apart from media composers using it, it looks like it does not exist.
Is it Steinberg's failure of brand management, not enough PR? Or having trouble to reach new generation of producers songwriters? Dongle? Price? Workflow?
I'll admit since I stopped using it in 90s and forgetting about it, I thought it was left behind by others but when I started to work with it again I couldn't believe how advanced it is than the most.
I think you are somewhat right, if you look for many tutorials, there arent many. One of the channel in youtube i like most is "Doctor Mix", where Cubase is often presented. The channel is very entertaining, you can have take a look at one of the last video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTaCdYi3b8o

Sometimes you think , Cubase was for film composers ("little brother of Nuendo") and if you look at features you think sometimes, ah because of some features Hans Zimmer is jumping to the roof, but Cubase is missing that "live performance" side like ableton or bitwig, for presenting super cool performances (with push f.e.) and there is nothing modular flowing and glowing.

I am using Cubase user since 1995 (yeah with windows 3.1 i think it was...) , maybe we will see a clip launcher and modular thingy but it looks like Steinberg ask Hollywood first what it is important, but not the hobby producer.

Another last thing i want to mention is that support from Cubase , this is getting the worst support i ever experienced in any software. They let you wait 3-4 month until you finally give up and then you will get an email says "We looked at your problem , try to reinstall Halion 6... " or something. That is discouraging . If you want basically show the world how cool Cubase is, that doesnt work with such a worse support.

zvenx wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:11 pm
And then there is the D word... I think ProTools is the only other DAW I can think of that uses a dongle.
Pro Tools can now however be used wherever there is an internet connection because of ILOK cloud. Cubase still has yet to have that.
It’s now standing all alone in being the only DAW that REQUIRES a dongle.

It is a 2 sided coin.
On one hand steinbergs intellectual property is protected as it renders Cubase virtually uncrackable.
On the other I feel like it deters producers away because you need to spend 30-40$ on a USB drive and unlike ILOK you dont even have much use for it other then Cubase...
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Ftr I have no issue with dongles (and in many cases prefer them), but I do know that for some it is an issue and may be part of why Cubendo isn't as popular as it could be? Just guessing here.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”