Somewhere between Dubstep and Drumandbass.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A tune that was long in the working and places itself somwhere between the two mentioned styles. I didn't really persue each one of them really. Thats just how it turned out in the end.

https://soundcloud.com/halcion-1/apoplexis

It sounds like the genre EDM to me.

Well, EDM is a large genre with a lot of subgenres. So I guess thats accurate.

It's my understanding that EDM is a separate genre in its own right, different than dubstep or drumnbass, although I also understand that there are people who use the term "EDM" as a catch all for all genres/types of dance music.

I have an "EDM" cd, and apparently it's a separate genre in its own right. I've read about the "EDM" genre too, and it does seem to be a separate genre in its own right, characterised by "the drop" which you find in EDM songs but not necessarily in all forms of dance music. I was watching some EDM dubstep on Twitch TV at a festival called Lostlands. I quite enjoyed it, but the EDM variety of dubstep is definitely different than other (regular) dubstep that i've enjoyed.

It's my understanding that all dance music are now available in 2 varietys: the regular and the EDM variety.
for example: there's the regular progressive house which i used to enjoy between 1999 to about 2005, and now/recently there's a new "EDM" variety of progressive house which is quite different than the old progressive house.

It definitely has some dubstep wobble stuff in it.

My favorite part is the blending of sounds in the opening. Nice work.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I thought it was going to be Trance, then Dubstep....
It was well crafted, a lot to like about it.
For my taste, it was Maximized/Compressed to the max, perhaps a bit too much. I like a little more dynamics in tracks.

"Although EDM (electronic dance music) is used as a catch-all term by many in the music scene to describe dance music (particularly in America), it also refers to the kind of big room-sounding music produced and played by the likes of Skrillex, Steve Aoki, and Marshmello at huge festivals like Ultra, EDC and Creamfields.
While EDM shares similarities with styles like house, including a tempo ranging from 120-130bpm and the 4/4 drum patterns often used, there's also influence from styles as diverse as dubstep, RnB and pop, clearly heard in the arrangement, synthesis and vocal production techniques used. Although EDM music is heavily pitched towards club or festival situations, the catchy hooks and huge vocal lines make it well suited to commercial radio too, with the concise arrangements of many tracks being made for exactly this purpose.
All of these elements have combined into a well-established music style that's dominating radio playlists and racking up billions of hits on You Tube and Spotify, as well as selling millions of tickets for events every year."

from last months Computer Music (UK) magazine (May 2020).

nice work! this track has all kinds of good stuff going on in it.

Spring Goose wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:44 pm It's my understanding that EDM is a separate genre in its own right, different than dubstep or drumnbass, although I also understand that there are people who use the term "EDM" as a catch all for all genres/types of dance music.

I have an "EDM" cd, and apparently it's a separate genre in its own right. I've read about the "EDM" genre too, and it does seem to be a separate genre in its own right, characterised by "the drop" which you find in EDM songs but not necessarily in all forms of dance music. I was watching some EDM dubstep on Twitch TV at a festival called Lostlands. I quite enjoyed it, but the EDM variety of dubstep is definitely different than other (regular) dubstep that i've enjoyed.

It's my understanding that all dance music are now available in 2 varietys: the regular and the EDM variety.
for example: there's the regular progressive house which i used to enjoy between 1999 to about 2005, and now/recently there's a new "EDM" variety of progressive house which is quite different than the old progressive house.
Wow. You certainly know more about the different styles than me. I am not superknowledgable about all the different genres and I think the boundries are sometimes pretty fluid. There is certainly a big difference between the pre EDM sound and then that of now. Honestly I don't care about styles all that much. I just try to make music that I like.

Orboscope wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 pm Honestly I don't care about styles all that much. I just try to make music that I like.
As long as you enjoy it that's all that matters! :)

There are elements of Trance and other things in here. It is certainly not dubstep or DnB per say. This track is a mutt. Kind of a chaotic one at that. Mix is too over the top. The loudness wars are over. Musically, it's fine. But the whole thing is just so bombastic that I couldn't enjoy it even though I concede that for what it is, it's done well. Or at least I think it would be considered to have been done well. OH, I think I also hear some Dragonforce in this. All it needs is the double tracked harmonic guitars.

Spring Goose wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:48 pm
Orboscope wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 pm Honestly I don't care about styles all that much. I just try to make music that I like.
As long as you enjoy it that's all that matters! :)
Yep. That is it :)

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:34 pm There are elements of Trance and other things in here. It is certainly not dubstep or DnB per say. This track is a mutt. Kind of a chaotic one at that. Mix is too over the top. The loudness wars are over. Musically, it's fine. But the whole thing is just so bombastic that I couldn't enjoy it even though I concede that for what it is, it's done well. Or at least I think it would be considered to have been done well. OH, I think I also hear some Dragonforce in this. All it needs is the double tracked harmonic guitars.
Yes its totally overcompressed. The problem was that when I reduced the compression the track started to fall apart soundwise in another way that would have been probably worse than the overcompression. In that regard its somewhat of a fail.
Dragonforce? Now that's an angel I haven't considered as to classify this track.

Return to “Music Cafe”