Problem using silent way to control MS20 mini

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I've read all that posts about controlling an MS20 with silent way but still having problems. I have managed to calibrate it and makes sounds in key however the gate doesn't close. Voice controller outputs a constant signal as does my Ms20 mini.

I'm using a MOTU 828mk2 and audio insert Y cables. Everything is connected up properly I think and set up right in Ableton.

I've read and done everything in this topic https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... ion-2.html

1. From the pitch channel out on the ES-3, plug the cable in to "FREQ IN -5~+5".
2. From the gate/trig channel out on the ES-3, plug the cable in to "TRIG IN".
3. On the MS-20 set the pitch modulation EG1/EXT knob to 10 (this enables FREQ IN),
4. Use a single VCO channel with a triangle or square, set scale to 32".
4. In Silent Way, firstly set "Gate Open" to 0.
5. Secondly, set "Gate Closed" to "0.5".
6. On the right-hand side of Silent Way open the "Voice Controller's Output Matrix", and set "Pitch scale" (for the channel you're using pitch on) to 0.5, and "Offset" to 0.5.
7. Hit the Calibrate V/Oct button!
8. Cross fingers. The calibration meter should show a diagonally straight line starting from the middle working upwards.

I end up with the same situation as the last poster in that topic who says 'my freakin gate wont close, man. as soon as I plug any of the outputs from my ultralite into the TRIG IN of the MS-20 I get a constant noise from the MS-20, like I get when I patch the noise into the trigger to get a never ending note.'

Afraid not, I've already tried that

I've just checked voice controller with my Korg Arp Odyssey and everything works fine. Everything definitely connected and routed correctly. Must be due to some quirk or setting of the MS20 mini.

Got it working now with what I'd already used but changed gate to 0.0 open and 1.0 closed as you suggested. I was sure I'd tried that earlier but think my MS20 (or possibly just me) was freaking out after putting the wrong settings into it. I went for a bike ride and had lunch, came back started afresh and it worked this time. Thanks.

:tu:

Return to “Expert Sleepers”