Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:48 am
The Vintage Factory presets are rubbish! If that is indication of how good it is this emulation, then IMO it fails...
well, if they have copied the factory sounds from the manual, they will be, most of those are very basic and don't really show off the synths potential.

best to look at those kinda sounds as starting points :wink:

AnX wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 am
The Vintage Factory presets are rubbish! If that is indication of how good it is this emulation, then IMO it fails...
well, if they have copied the factory sounds from the manual, they will be, most of those are very basic and don't really show off the synths potential.

^^^ THIS ^^^

And keep in mind those were the kind of sounds people would look for in the 80s. They differ substantially from the kind of sounds people are used to nowadays.
Fernando (FMR)

Wonder if it is because they aren't drenched in effects like the more "modern" presets. These days with VST's you barely hear raw oscillators and filters anymore because there's always some reverb, chorus, distortion, delays etc. going on. Analog synth sounds are actually pretty "boring" when played dry.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Fri May 29, 2020 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vortifex wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:00 am Played some chords with it, took up about 9% of my CPU. It has a long release time, that can be a killer. Switching from Stereo to Pan cut the CPU hit in half.
Thanks! shows my set up must be old! still it's working fine without that patch, i really like it along side the cs-80 they work together well for 80's sounds.

fmr wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am

^^^ THIS ^^^

And keep in mind those were the kind of sounds people would look for in the 80s. They differ substantially from the kind of sounds people are used to nowadays.
Really? We were that bad?! :hihi:

Well... the Arturia OB-Xa V doesn't really convince me yet. It can do nice pads but of course other synths can do that as well. CPU usage is ok, up to 20% (i7) for some patches and while playing some chords. I think I will wait for the one from Synapse Audio.

EnGee wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:16 pm

^^^ THIS ^^^

Yes, we were that "bad". Remember when Lucky Man came out and we thought that Moog Modular solo was so cool? We cringe when we hear it now. Even Keith Emerson commented on how much he hated it.

Vortifex wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:23 am Discovered something odd when I export audio from OB-Xa V in FL Studio. The first example was recorded manually in Edison, and sounds like it's supposed to sound:

https://soundcloud.com/widowcrypt/ob-xa-v-edison

Now listen to the exported version (this one's not embedding for some reason?):

https://soundcloud.com/widowcrypt/ob-xa-v-export

It alters the sound. I wonder if that's an FL issue or an OB-Xa V issue? I've never noticed it with anything else in FL Studio before.
I am sure you would have double checked your render settings?

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Fri May 29, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:52 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 pm
Vortifex wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:23 am Discovered something odd when I export audio from OB-Xa V in FL Studio. The first example was recorded manually in Edison, and sounds like it's supposed to sound:

https://soundcloud.com/widowcrypt/ob-xa-v-edison

Now listen to the exported version (this one's not embedding for some reason?):

https://soundcloud.com/widowcrypt/ob-xa-v-export

It alters the sound. I wonder if that's an FL issue or an OB-Xa V issue? I've never noticed it with anything else in FL Studio before.
I am sure you would have double checked your render settings?
Of course. There is no reason that I can see for the difference in sound.
That's strange. I am using the demo version, but if you can tell me the exact patch, I can try to check. Looks like modified "Stabbed In The Back" preset?

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks, nice patch. Quickly tested it here, but I don't hear any differences.

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:23 pm
EnGee wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:16 pm

^^^ THIS ^^^

Yes, we were that "bad". Remember when Lucky Man came out and we thought that Moog Modular solo was so cool? We cringe when we hear it now. Even Keith Emerson commented on how much he hated it.
You are talking 70's now! I was still in the kindergarten then!
Anyway, I don't think it was that bad at all. I still listen to Ultravox songs today and the OB sounds amazing in their songs.

Return to “Instruments”