One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree with the above … for me, it would be nice to have a delay on the start of LFO especially! Delayed vibrato is used so often for decent expressive play - eg violins, flutes, saxes etc ... and of course, all manner of "electronic" instruments :)

But, attack and release are important too … so worth considering this, please.

dB

PS Looking to do a 60's styled track re-visiting "Mungo Jerry" … going to be fun with this lovely synth. :party:

Hi guys! Long time no see. The quarantine has granted me some time to return to the musical side of my life :hihi: I think I'll probably give it a shot to this month's OSC, this synth is fantastic really. I'm already liking the tracks some of you have posted, great work!

H-man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 am Don't mind the buzzkill Osc'ers, but if I could just jump in here and ask the WaveWarden if these are linear EGs? I'm thinking yes as per the original ...and the sound.
I forgot to mention, there's another trick apart from the "Modulate ADSR" that was already mentioned:

Use the envelope as a modsource and scale at the same time. If scale is at 100 the curve gets squared, so the linear attack becomes quadratic, the exponential sections become differently curved exponentials.

Plus, you can control the amount of scale, so there's also everything in between. :wink:

So I’ve updated my details on my entry
Also had a bit of fun with the Odin2 here

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/eauson-th ... den-odin-2

This is not an entry, just used the same template & made a slower track using all the same sounds:D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Hello all - this is my first submission to an OSC, and prior to this I've only ever programmed a handful of synth patches. I don't think it comes close to showing off all of the cool stuff that this synth can do, but I'm happy with it as my first attempt at this!

https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflight/sleipnirs-stride

I used:
11 instances of Odin2
FL Studio as my DAW

That's it - no effects (partially a personal challenge, partially worried about breaking rules).

shadowsoflight wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:15 pm That's it - no effects (partially a personal challenge, partially worried about breaking rules).
This happens to probably half of the newbies, including me recently :lol:

Welcome! Very interesting entry from a musical point of view; pleasant, but keeps you in suspense! I'll add it to my player, in my " favorite from OSC" playlist! :phones: :clap: :tu:

shadowsoflight wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:15 pm Hello all - this is my first submission to an OSC, and prior to this I've only ever programmed a handful of synth patches. I don't think it comes close to showing off all of the cool stuff that this synth can do, but I'm happy with it as my first attempt at this!
Nice work!
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

IV! wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 pm Welcome! Very interesting entry from a musical point of view; pleasant, but keeps you in suspense! I'll add it to my player, in my " favorite from OSC" playlist! :phones: :clap: :tu:
MalToné wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:37 am Nice work!
Thank you both!

+++++ SUBMISSION +++++
https://soundcloud.com/johnny-pumphandl ... s-the-time
My first shot at at the OSC. After checking out the Odin 2 synth, it is fascinating. I had fun creating the presets for my tune (attached zip of presets). The track was developed in FL Studio with a touch of Fruity Reverb and Fruity Limiter on the Master channel. All the channels are strictly Odin 2 presets. I had started on this before I ran across the Odin 2, so even had a few lyrics in mind ...

Now's The Time - Johnny Pumphandle

Now's the time to be alive
Listening to the news at five
Evry where we must prepare
for ma-ad-ness

I remember better times
For great things there were headlines
We heard the news we like to share

With evry day that passes by
We hear of more we must decry
Evry place is a disgrace
Soon it will become so bad
To be able to be sad
Can we find one that will shed a tear?

Now's the time for introspection
Now's the time for new direction

Now's the time for everyone to care

One of the Odin 2 features I found missing was the ability to delay the start of the LFO, which would enhance the articulation for synthesizing instruments. This would be a welcome addition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neither of these are my submission but they're entirely made with Odin2 and I just enjoyed listening to them after sitting on them a couple days. The Belmont reminds me of Supercastlevania 4. So FWIW if you like. For my submission working on something completely different.
https://soundcloud.com/infinitetelemach ... 362-odin23
https://soundcloud.com/infinitetelemach ... 364-odin24

My submission for this comp:

https://soundcloud.com/wireframewolves/seidr

Mostly wanted to see what kind of sound design I could achieve with this (possibly at the expense of melody and harmony and general pleasantness). Apologies for the abrasive track.

Ableton Suite (all effects stock Ableton)
Instances: Odin2 (23), EQ8 (20, in many cases just low or high cut for mixing), Compressor (6), Saturator (4), Reverb (4)
Kick: Odin2 (Sine wave with enveloped lowpass + Noise with bandpass in Odin2), EQ8, Compressor, Saturator, Channel EQ
Snare: [Instrument rack slot 1: Odin2 (Sine wave with enveloped lowpass), Instrument rack slot 2: Odin2 (ChiptuneOsc Noise and NoiseOsc, distortion), Reverb], EQ8, Compressor, Saturator
Hihat 1: Chord MIDI effect to duplicate notes, Odin2 (NoiseOsc and ChipTuneOsc Noise, lowpass, comb, distortion), Compressor
Hihat 2: Same as above with different parameters
Crash cymbal: Same as above with different parameters
Drum buss: Compressor, EQ8
Sub: Odin2 (Triangle wave, lowpass), EQ8 (lowcut), Compressor sidechained to kick
Bass 1: Odin2 (FMOsc, Comb, lots of automation), EQ8
Bass 2: Same as above with different parameters
Bass 3: Odin2 (MultiOsc, lowpass, comb), EQ8, Reverb
Bass 4: Odin2 (PMOsc, lowpass, distortion, OH-12, automation of params), EQ8
Bass 5: Odin2 (WavetableOsc, NoiseOsc, OH-12, Comb, distortion, automation), EQ8
Bass 6: Odin2 (MultiOsc, NoiseOsc, OH-12, OH-12, distortion, OH-12, automation), EQ8
Bass 7: Odin2 (MultiOsc, NoiseOsc, lowpass, OH-12, distortion, OH-12, automation, delay), EQ8, Saturator
Bass 8: Odin2 (MultiOsc, NoiseOsc, lowpass, OH-12, distortion, OH-12, automation), EQ8
Bass 9: Odin2 (FMOsc, AnalogOsc, NoiseOsc, lowpass, comb, distortion, OH-12, automation), EQ8
Bass buss: Bass mono utility, Compressor, EQ8, Compressor sidechained to kick
Lead 1: Odin2 (ChipTuneOsc, lowpass, comb, distortion, automation of distortion boost), EQ8
Lead 2: same as above with different params
Lead 3: Odin2 (WavetableOsc, NoiseOsc, comb, bandpass, distortion, lowpass, delay, arpeggiator
Lead 4: Odin2 (FMOsc, lowpass, delay), EQ8
Scream effect: Odin2 (NoiseOsc, Formant, distortion, delay, chorus), EQ8, reverb (automated dry/wet)
Long riser: Odin2 (WavetableOsc, WavetableOsc, NoiseOsc, highpass, distortion, delay, automation), EQ8
Short riser: Odin2 (ChiptuneOsc, lowpass, formant, distortion, flanger)
Reverb send: Reverb
Master: Autofilter (automated highpass), Autofilter (automated lowpass), EQ8, Saturator, Hofa 4 U project timer (17 hours), Voxengo SPAN

I also did a lot of MIDI pitchbend automation, which I found kind of fights with Ableton. Whenever the MIDI pitchbend changes, Ableton wants to automate the Odin2 pitchbend parameter (distinct from midi pitchbend) which would also break Ableton's undo function. Aside from that, a really versatile synthesizer and fun to use!

wireframewolves wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:17 pm Apologies for the abrasive track.
I think this sounds great. Yours last month was one of my favorites BTW. (My 8th 5 where the other 7 placed 1 to 7). Thanks for giving so much detail about this track.

empphryio wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:05 am Neither of these are my submission but they're entirely made with Odin2 and I just enjoyed listening to them after sitting on them a couple days. The Belmont reminds me of Supercastlevania 4. So FWIW if you like. For my submission working on something completely different.
These are both pretty nice! But you've got my curiosity now on the "something completely different..."
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

[deleted]

*NOTE TO ADMINS: NOT AN ENTRY!*

I might not be able to participate this month - but here's an OSC-rule tune made with my Odin 2 presets.

It's a bit of a mess - partly by design. Def. lo-fi. I don't use a click + tuning is weird. It started out as a free form improvisation, but ended up as (wonkily) pulse-based after all - not the kind of workflow I would recommend! I think it's kinda neat, though, it sometimes reminds me of early electronic B-film soundtracks made without a sequencer.

[Evening update: Tightened the wonkiness a little bit, added a few db to the mix]

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/disbelief
Last edited by schiing on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

MalToné wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:38 am These are both pretty nice! But you've got my curiosity now on the "something completely different..."
Thanks. Just different for me. I'm just wanting to make some industrial/trance/techno stuff. Never had any success doing so. Trying again.

Return to “Instruments”