FR: Acoustica Sample Looping

Official support for: acondigital.com
neverbeeninariot
KVRian
Topic Starter
525 posts since 3 Feb, 2015 from UK

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:17 am

Hi Stian,

First, a big thanks and thumbs up for Acoustica 7, it is my go-to sample editor, love the feature set, and the look of it is very easy on the eye :tu:

That said, I have a fairly large feature request for you to consider, one that I think would greatly improve the usability of the sample looping feature.

In Acoustica, it is tricky to make a natural sustaining loop without glitches, volume bumps etc. Cross-fading goes some way to helping with this, but I think it could be easier and more intuitive to do.

This is how it looks after making an approximate loop in the main window, then switching to the loop editor:

You can only view the Start or End of the loop but not both at the same time, which makes it difficult to line up cycles within the waveform, amplitude, etc. and you cannot zoom in or out of the looped region while in this window (at least, I can't figure it out...).

SoundForge has similar feature, but one that makes it very easy to match the start and end points of the looped region to make seamless loops. It allows you to see and adjust both the Start and End points of the loop side-by-side so that they can be matched.

The loop Start is on the right hand side, the loop End is on the left, so you can see exactly where the join is. You can zoom in or out of the waveform, adjust the Start or End points, snap to zero crossing, etc.

I realise this probably be a lot of work, and quite a big change from how it currently works, but I do think it would be a much better solution for creating seamless loops, and with the benefits of the Acoustica GUI, a much nicer user experience than with SoundForge.

Thanks for listening, hopefully you will think this is a good idea :D

All the best
nbiar.

stian
KVRian
1299 posts since 1 Jan, 2005 from Norway

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:03 am

Thanks for the feature request! Yes, I'm aware that the sample loop editing is a weak point at the time being and this has been requested several times. Actually, the plan is to add a waveform for the successive loop in another colour so that it's easier to match the curves.

Best,
Stian

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6712 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:21 am

stian wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:03 am Thanks for the feature request! Yes, I'm aware that the sample loop editing is a weak point at the time being and this has been requested several times. Actually, the plan is to add a waveform for the successive loop in another colour so that it's easier to match the curves.
:tu:

neverbeeninariot
KVRian
Topic Starter
525 posts since 3 Feb, 2015 from UK

Post Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:55 am

stian wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:03 am Thanks for the feature request! Yes, I'm aware that the sample loop editing is a weak point at the time being and this has been requested several times. Actually, the plan is to add a waveform for the successive loop in another colour so that it's easier to match the curves.
Great stuff, thank you :)

_TIP_
KVRist
132 posts since 21 Jan, 2008 from New York

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:44 am

Hi, I hope all is well! I'm trying to find the right tool (audio editor) to create seamless/x-fade loops correctly for loading them in Soft-Samplers, so far Acoustica does a good job overall comparing to other tools-programs but I think there is room for big improvements in that area. As of now, the best tool I have found for that job is VPS-Avenger VSTi but unfortunately you can't export the processed files... Here is a *.gif file showing the workflow of Avenger, I personally think that it would be a killer feature to have something like that in Acoustica.
Thanks!

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
7081 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:28 am

If it would also display the result, it would be easier to avoid phase problems in the crossfade area. Often enough you get a drop in level when the loop points are not phase aligned. (Which probably could be automated and even be better than those common zero crossing matches…)

Return to “Acon Digital”