"natural" sounding algorithmic reverbs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TC Electronics VSS3 sounds good to me.

Nobody mentioned 2CA PBJ yet? :shock:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:30 am Nobody mentioned 2CA PBJ yet? :shock:
Yes of course! it should be mentioned as one of the most convincing.
Yorgos Simeonidis

simmo75 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:44 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:27 am
simmo75 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:47 pm LiquidSonics Cinematic Rooms Pro, it's got some amazing spaces.
My ears/brain have a dislike of all Liquidsonics reverbs to date. To me, they change the original sound too much, such that it’s a different sound rather than the one I wanted. Everyone should try them, though. Choices are good.
I take it you must be using them as inserts and very wet to come to that conclusion?
I think they’re beautiful, natural as fook. Seventh Heaven Pro is amazing too.

Out of interest, what are your favorite reverbs?
No. To me, just a little bit colors the sound and makes it thicker and darker, and more artificial-sounding. I'd rather do that with EQ, compression, and/or saturation than a reverb. It's 110% a subjective thing. There's no doubt about the quality of Liquidsonics - but not everyone is going to like the sound of any given reverb, no matter how much money they charge for it! :D I will say the Rooms one is "ok", which makes the pricing merely crazy instead of insane for me. I can't stand Seventh Heaven at all - I've done a couple demos over the years because so many people love it and I just... don't. Honestly, it's entirely possible that Liquidsonics IS incredibly realistic-sounding and I just like the artificial ones. I can't rule that out. Again, it's all subjective.

My go to reverbs are currently, but not limited to: EA R4, EA Nimbus, and Relab Sonsig-A. I've considered buying other Relab verbs but just haven't felt they're so much better/different for the price than what I have.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:42 pmHonestly, it's entirely possible that Liquidsonics IS incredibly realistic-sounding and I just like the artificial ones. I can't rule that out. Again, it's all subjective.
I will have to disagree. If we talked about "euphonic", "pleasing", "musical" or whatnot it would be subjective. "Realistic" means that it sounds like a physical space. No personal taste is involved here. Liking a reverb and finding it realistic are two different things.
Yorgos Simeonidis

Valhalla room is my goto for a realistic reverb. The default preset can be made into a million different useful sounds in very little time.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Signaldust Tila 2 will give you realistic acoustic room ambiences for free.

+1 There's no objectively great reverb as it depends on so many variables, not least of which is the personal taste of the user or listener.

I actually understand what you mean about Liquidsonics... take Lustrous Plates for example - it's heavy, dense and alive - it has lots of coloration. That's the reason why you don't like it, but also that's the reason why I do like it! And that's perfectly fine.

Woooosh I've discovered something cool actually... you can spin Cinematic Rooms to the early reflections only, and then use another reverb in series for the late reflections and decay. My CPU hates me but my ears are quite agreeable :D

Return to “Effects”