Syntronik, what do they tell me about?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zzz00m wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 pm I got it. For the price of the $29 upgrade, just couldn't say no! :lol:

The VCF3, Memory-V, and M-Poly were worth it for me! The sounds are great!

Not sure if I'll have a use for the last two, but installed them anyway. Might need that analog bass and drums someday!
Thanks for the reply. I've not yet pulled the trigger, but likely will.

The audio demos didn't appeal to me much, but you can't always go by those, so I figured I would ask for some testimonials. The sound quality of the demos are good, but the context in which the synths are used mostly sound more "retro" than classic/vintage to me.

I actually like some synth-pop/synthwave/vaporwave, but don't intend on producing any.

KIMCHRISTOPHER wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:57 pm The guys who know more about synthesis and emulations ...
What do you tell me about Syntronik from IK Multimedia? I had the opportunity to get it with a package, but I see little discussion about it.
A review from a few years ago:
https://soundbytesmag.net/review-syntro ... ultimedia/

telecharge wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:25 pm
zzz00m wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 pm I got it. For the price of the $29 upgrade, just couldn't say no! :lol:

The VCF3, Memory-V, and M-Poly were worth it for me! The sounds are great!

Not sure if I'll have a use for the last two, but installed them anyway. Might need that analog bass and drums someday!
Thanks for the reply. I've not yet pulled the trigger, but likely will.

The audio demos didn't appeal to me much, but you can't always go by those, so I figured I would ask for some testimonials. The sound quality of the demos are good, but the context in which the synths are used mostly sound more "retro" than classic/vintage to me.

I actually like some synth-pop/synthwave/vaporwave, but don't intend on producing any.
The videos suck. But the samples are from the real synths. They do any type of music you wish!

The following examples are from: http://www.vintagesynth.com/

VCS3 used by Brian Eno, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Stereolab, Yes, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Jean-Michel Jarre, Astral Projection, Klaus Schulze, Depeche Mode, Vince Clarke, Add N to (X), The Who, Todd Rundgren, Recoil, Freddy Fresh, John Paul Jones.

Memorymoog used by 808 State, The Orb, The Crystal Method, Air, Jean-Michel Jarre, Freddy Fresh, Jan Hammer, Bon Jovi, INXS, Jellyfish, Imperial Drag, Moog Cookbook, Rick Wakeman, Labradford, Nick Rhodes (Duran Duran), George Duke and James "Jimmy Jam" Harris III.

Mono/Poly used by Hardfloor, Tangerine Dream, The Orb, 808 State, Juno Reactor, Megaton Matt Haines, Freddy Fresh, and the Chemical Brothers.

PolySix used by Eat Static, Geoff Downes, Astral Projection, Jimi Tenor, Global Communications, Kitaro, Robert Rich, Keith Emerson and Tears for Fears.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:00 pm The filters are modeled and not from SampleTank. Syntronik also adds DRIFT™ technology to accurately reproduce the behavior of oscillators from real hardware synths so they are not just static samples.
Hey Peter,

Is there DRIFT™ Technology in SampleTank 4.1.3? I'm wondering if I'm using SampleTank 4 as my main ROMpler to playback Syntronik patches, will I get the benefit of DRIFT, or will the patches sound different / more sterile.

art&sound wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:03 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:00 pm The filters are modeled and not from SampleTank. Syntronik also adds DRIFT™ technology to accurately reproduce the behavior of oscillators from real hardware synths so they are not just static samples.
Hey Peter,

Is there DRIFT™ Technology in SampleTank 4.1.3?
Good question. I searched the ST4 User Manual and "Drift" was not mentioned even once. Since the Syntronik instruments are using the ST3 engine in ST4, I think that the following would apply: "Each SampleTank 3 Element has a dedicated filter. Set the Filter Type in the drop-down menu where you can choose from several analog modeled filters based on classic hardware synthesizers or more modern digital filters like the Phaser and Formant filter types."

Although there is mention of "several analog modeled filters based on classic hardware synthesizers", I don't think it is the same as "Drift". Or if it is, and they just stopped marketing it as "Drift".

To me the Taurus model alone is worth the price.

Anyone learn anything about DRIFT™ Technology existing in SampleTank 4 or not?

art&sound wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:46 pm Anyone learn anything about DRIFT™ Technology existing in SampleTank 4 or not?
It is listed on the SampleTank 4 product page under Sounds - https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/#sounds

See the last sentence in the paragraph below SYNTHS.
"Our DRIFT algorithm that simulates the organic movement of both analog oscillators and acoustic instruments has been expanded in SampleTank 4."

ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:28 pm Well, Syntronik isn’t a true synthesizer in the strict sense of the word, or an emulation. It’s an extensive sample library of classic synths combined with a generic synth engine which has multiple guis that look like the synths that have been sampled. A classic synth rompler, as it were, with some added control. I like Syntronik, But it is not the same sort of product as Arturia is making. The filter for instance is one of sampletank’s filters, not one that is modeled after specific hardware. Compare Syntronik more with the UVI synth vault or products like that.
I think the included filters are actually emulated.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KIMCHRISTOPHER wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:31 pm But in terms of sound? Do you think it comes close to what is being emulated, or is it just a slight idea ...? I didn't really like the usability ... The first thing I change about a preset is exactly something on the oscillator ...
Then you don’t want Syntronik. If you ask me, it sounds fantastic. They really did an excellent job all around, but it is not something that lets you dig into all aspects of the synthesis. You’re looking for Diva or something else for things like that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:35 pm
ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:28 pm The filter for instance is one of sampletank’s filters, not one that is modeled after specific hardware. Compare Syntronik more with the UVI synth vault or products like that.
I think the included filters are actually emulated.
Indeed. From their blurb :

"Syntronik’s synthesis engine goes well beyond traditional sampling thanks to a brand new analog modeled filter section"

and

"we evolved our synth engine to include circuit-level filter models of 4 of the best sounding machines of all time: Moog transistor ladder, (found in the Minimoog and Modular Moog), Roland's IR3109 chip (found in the Jupiter-8 and Juno-60), the famous Curtis CEM3320 chip (found in the Prophet-5 and Oberheim OB-Xa) and the Oberheim SEM state variable filter."
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

telecharge wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:26 pm
art&sound wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:46 pm Anyone learn anything about DRIFT™ Technology existing in SampleTank 4 or not?
It is listed on the SampleTank 4 product page under Sounds - https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/#sounds

See the last sentence in the paragraph below SYNTHS.
"Our DRIFT algorithm that simulates the organic movement of both analog oscillators and acoustic instruments has been expanded in SampleTank 4."
I'm just curious why IK didn't mention that in the ST 4 User Manual.

Since that term only appears on the product page, I'm going to guess that "DRIFT™ Technology" is just marketing-speak™ for a function of their analog filter modeling algorithm. An accurately modeled analog filter would by it's nature need to account for the drift in an analog circuit due to variances in voltage and temperature.

It isn't baked into the analog-modeled filters, it is applied to the oscillators in a different way. There's more detail on the Syntronik page:
DRIFT™ Technology

Syntronik also includes all new “DRIFT” technology that breathes more life into the sampled oscillators themselves. Typically sample-based synthesizers have the limitation of having always the same exact sample attack, something that does not happen in their true hardware counterparts. IK’s DRIFT technology varies the phase, color and pitch of the sampled oscillators to keep them moving just like the real analog oscillators do. Much more than simple detuning or even multiple-source modulation, DRIFT emulates the way real analog circuits behave over time. The result is the unmistakable sound of analog that is the origin of any classic synthesizer sound.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:36 pm It isn't baked into the analog-modeled filters, it is applied to the oscillators in a different way. There's more detail on the Syntronik page:
DRIFT™ Technology

Syntronik also includes all new “DRIFT” technology that breathes more life into the sampled oscillators themselves. Typically sample-based synthesizers have the limitation of having always the same exact sample attack, something that does not happen in their true hardware counterparts. IK’s DRIFT technology varies the phase, color and pitch of the sampled oscillators to keep them moving just like the real analog oscillators do. Much more than simple detuning or even multiple-source modulation, DRIFT emulates the way real analog circuits behave over time. The result is the unmistakable sound of analog that is the origin of any classic synthesizer sound.
Peter, thanks for that explanation, but it really doesn't answer the current question.

I'm assuming that you may have missed the recent part of the thread where the question was asked whether or not ST4 supported the "Drift" algorithm when you opened a Syntronik instrument within ST4 (actually using the built-in ST3 engine aboard ST4).

Or is "Drift" only built into the native Syntronik interface? In that case when the wave samples are played back in SampleTank it is lost? Or are these "Drift" oscillators "portable", and capable of this functionality when played in SampleTank?

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:37 pm
KIMCHRISTOPHER wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:31 pm But in terms of sound? Do you think it comes close to what is being emulated, or is it just a slight idea ...? I didn't really like the usability ... The first thing I change about a preset is exactly something on the oscillator ...
Then you don’t want Syntronik. If you ask me, it sounds fantastic. They really did an excellent job all around, but it is not something that lets you dig into all aspects of the synthesis. You’re looking for Diva or something else for things like that.
Yes, I have some more complete synthesizers in this aspect... But I really end up using the syntronik very little because of its usability... (delays in changing presets and impossibility to change oscillators...) But it's a very interesting software.

Return to “Instruments”