Kontakt 6 Upgrade, is it worth it?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:45 pm To your estimation, how frequently does Kontakt update? I'm thinking about buying the full version, as it's on sale right now, but I wouldn't want to pay for an update in a next 6-8 months.
How many years did it take from 5 to 6? I guess we have to wait like 5 years at least before we see any 7. So many use kontakt and so many libraries for it too. That's the reason NI is in no hurry to upgrade.

Kontakt 6 library still has the baffling omission of a steel string acoustic guitar.

I had version 5 of Kontakt and decided to upgrade to 6 by buying Komplete 12 and still no acoustic guitar to be found anywhere among that sea of stuff.

And nope, I do not want the strummy thing which is included. I just want a decent Gibson or Martin or Taylor or Seagull or something like that.

Baffling.

pinki wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 am Yes but that all works with the free Kontakt 6 Player. And 5 and 6 happily co-exist.
What “all”? Ethereal Earth I did mention, but that’s not “all” I used, devs were champing at the bit to use new features.

Of course the two coexist, they’re two separate programs. There are ways to make multiple versions of eg., K6 coexist peacefully in a system, for that matter.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:47 pm
pinki wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 am Yes but that all works with the free Kontakt 6 Player. And 5 and 6 happily co-exist.
What “all”? Ethereal Earth I did mention, but that’s not “all” I used, devs were champing at the bit to use new features.

Of course the two coexist, they’re two separate programs. There are ways to make multiple versions of eg., K6 coexist peacefully in a system, for that matter.
I don't understand- what libraries did you have to get the full version of K6 for? If you are a dev then it's totally different I understand that as I mentioned in my original post.

Either one has a real use for it or one doesn’t, in the latter case maybe one looks forward. I resisted K5 for a couple whole yrs, then bam, a perceived need arises.

My use of Kontakt is heavy.

pinki wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 pm
jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:47 pm

I don't understand- what libraries did you have to get the full version of K6 for? If you are a dev then it's totally different I understand that as I mentioned in my original post.
I’ve forgotten, this was Dec 2018. You don’t understand there were developers working on product before the release with a quick release once it was out? I’m not trying to sell you it.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:45 pm To your estimation, how frequently does Kontakt update? I'm thinking about buying the full version, as it's on sale right now, but I wouldn't want to pay for an update in a next 6-8 months.
There isn’t to be any Kontakt ‘7’, the product name is now just Kontakt.

Most of the libraries I've seen that require 6 make use of either the new wavetable feature, or the new(er) drag and drop sample import feature. A few of them also implement the built-in version of Replika Delay...

Full feature list: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... whats-new/

I’m wrong on two things: 1) according to E.D. at NI Forums, the not moving to further numbered versions is not confirmed. And, 2) I’m tripping, there was nothing like an insta-version requiring K6. My brain likes to remember a definite ideation as though a real occurrence, apparently. :roll:

One thing I can remember is true, though: in VE Pro, if you have Kontakt 5 in templates and one day replace K5 with K6, you’ve broken nothing, where replacing 4 w. 5 broke the link.

click the meh button

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”