What synths are in equal or better footing than VPS Avenger?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Choose 3 synths that you would pick for me if they were free for you to give

Vengeance Sound - VPS Avenger (with CodeMeter service disabled when not using it)
5%
Parawave - RAPID
12%
Kilohearts - Phase Plant
11%
UVI - Falcon
15%
u-he - Zebra 2
13%
MeldaProduction - MSoundFactory
4%
Native Instruments - Reaktor
5%
Cherry Audio - Voltage Modular
1%
VCV - Rack VST
1%
KV331 Audio - SynthMaster
4%
Tone 2 - Icarus 2
5%
Xfer Records - Serum
10%
(recently added) Arturia - Pigments 2
9%
(recently added) Other (Tell me in the comments plz)
4%

Total votes: 916

Danilo Villanova wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am Reaktor gives you more possibilities than anything else and the sound quality is (IMO) superior to anything I’ve ever tried. When I was demoing synths Dune 3 and ANA 2 stood above the rest in terms of sound quality. Avenger was nice too and it’s a more complete package but the synth part is not as nice as the other two. I bought Dune in the end... until I tried Reaktor. Now I’m selling Dune.

PS: CPU use is bananas but freeze and bounce are your friends .
Biznarf in a biznag
Last edited by twal on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:39 pm I still can't figure out why Zebra 2 is getting so many votes. It's a great synth no doubt and I just traded my DIVA license to get it back but it doesn't resemble or replace in any way a synth like Avenger.

When Zebra 2 gets full sample import and 8 separate layers then you can mention it in the same breath as Avenger or Rapid.
Somewhere I've read Urs is not a sample guy at all, rather a synth guy, so you will not drag and drop samples into zebra.
And since we have Unify, we don't need synths with layers.
While I writing this, just inserted 4 synthmaster into unify and layered them real quickly.

dune_rave wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 pm Somewhere I've read Urs is not a sample guy at all, rather a synth guy, so you will not drag and drop samples into zebra.
And since we have Unify, we don't need synths with layers.
While I writing this, just inserted 4 synthmaster into unify and layered them real quickly.
What does any of that have to do with people voting for Zebra in a thread about Avenger ?

And who is "we". You don't need synths with layers but I like using them to create complex sounds without having to use multiple instances.

Load up a single plugin or load up a chainer then four instances of a plugin?

If the Unify workaround works for you that's fine but don't ever say "we" work the same way. You do not speak for me..... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

starflakeprj wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:16 pm
audiot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:13 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:24 pm Isn't it awesome that you get a thumbs down when you suggest to use your own head? :lol:
I always get a thumbs down when critizising Falcon.

Lets try this again ...

Falcon is as much fun as Microsoft Excel :D
I love Excel! :)
Lets say it's a necessary tool ... we obviously have different definitions of fun :)

But seriously ... if you want a synth that is complex, but also accessible to a beginner, there is no better option than phase plant. Workflow, ease of use and visual feedback is nearly on par with Serum. Only downside is the snapin-ecosystem. I bought it until a sale last year, bundled with some snapins, and didnt regret it. The filters could be better, but all in all its a fine modular synth.
Last edited by audiot on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I would suggest you add:

Seaweed Audio - Fathom Synth
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/fathom ... weed-audio
https://www.fathomsynth.com/home

Fathom Synth Official Development Thread
viewtopic.php?t=482501

Fathom Synth v3 is currently in beta, offering even more features and versatility.

Kwurqx wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm I would suggest you add:

viewtopic.php?t=482501

Fathom Synth v3 is currently in beta, offering even more features and versatility.
Seems to be 45€ (Pro version) at the moment

Tannaliini wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 am

viewtopic.php?t=482501

Seems to be 45€ (Pro version) at the moment
Actually, it has been "on sale" forever. Pretty "cheap" for what you get. Pricing might change from v3 forward, with a free, regular and top-of-the-range version.

The MONO version is free and has very few other limitations then being MONO only. So, if you wanna give it a try...

twal wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:26 am Reaktor gives you more possibilities than anything else and the sound quality is (IMO) superior to anything I’ve ever tried. When I was demoing synths Dune 3 and ANA 2 stood above the rest in terms of sound quality. Avenger was nice too and it’s a more complete package but the synth part is not as nice as the other two. I bought Dune in the end... until I tried Reaktor. Now I’m selling Dune.

PS: CPU use is bananas but freeze and bounce are your friends .
ANA 2 is one of the best deals for synth software. It comes with the sampler as well, which of course adds more flexibility.

My main thing with ANA 2, is that it is just so plain easy to incorporate into beats. It's nice and subtle with lesser harsh sounds than say Spire, or even Synthmaster which is not too harsh. You can tweak these to make beats but it is much harder to put into beats. Bells are too harsh in Spire imo, and Synthmaster has too much going on in it's sound to layer. Keep in mind that I make Trap/Hip-Hop beats and am a minority here. But still good to know. Most synths are just too gritty and harsh for Hip-Hop. I believe that ANA 2, Dune 3, and perhaps Diva/Zebra (they are too damn good) are the easiest to make these types of beats.

I've spent too much money buying synths that are just too gritty or have presets that are accommodating to more popular genres like Trance, EDM etc. Sound designers don't primarily focus on Trap/Hip-Hop so unless you are a sound designer you get stuck with these anchors unless you can sell the lease.

Another thing to mention though is that Tone2 Rayblaster, Nemesis, etc. are great sounding that if used gently, can make for good beats.

EDIT: Also want to add that this information might not mean much to the OP but as a reference for those who are wondering. I also DO use Spire and Synthmaster but they are harder to mix in with beats. I love Spire actually, it's sound and interface. I also like Diversion as well, but never have used it. Oddity, and Strobe 2 collect virtual dust even though are nice sounding just not enough sounds/genre for me.
I thanks every comment. Every comment helps me to make better decisions. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?t=482501

I tried Fathom Mono a little bit, I think it sounds great. I'm gonna try it more. Thanks for commenting.

fmr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:01 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:58 am There are demos for the most if not all of the mentioned synths available.
There isn't for Falcon... but he can't be wrong with Falcon.

There is another option not included, that I would mention: HALion. I can't understand why HALion is always absent in these kind of lists. It is the only one that can fight with Falcon shoulder to shoulder.
I'm gonna try it if it has a demo.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:24 pm Isn't it awesome that you get a thumbs down when you suggest to use your own head? :lol:

Lets try this again ...

https://youtu.be/To2JIXGoYzA
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Lets try this again ...

https://youtu.be/To2JIXGoYzA
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: Nice XD

twal wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 pm Most synths are just too gritty and harsh for Hip-Hop. I believe that ANA 2, Dune 3, and perhaps Diva/Zebra (they are too damn good) are the easiest to make these types of beats.
I thought Hip Hop was meant to be gritty and harsh. Early hip hop was made on 12 bit samplers with gritty filters that aliased.

Maybe you meant to say 'most synths are too hifi for hip-hop'?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

No one program really replaces Avenger. Avenger is that versatile for bread and butter while dipping its toes into the esoteric. That said, if you want to venture into more off the wall sonics then Falcon and HALion will take you there and then some. Supplement them with Zebra 2 and Rapid. With those four you have more than replaced Avenger.

dumb poll. the better question is what sound design skills are on par with those of people that know what they are doing and can actually achieve a certain sound they are trying to produce? :idea:
Last edited by layzer on Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”