AudioThing NEW Speakers Plugin - Microphone and Speaker Simulations - Update v1.2.5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Speakers

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:39 am Economists are predicting a downturn the likes of which we have never seen and here's a $54 upgrade hmm for what is your most expensive plugin yet, by quite some margin. I'm going to be "That Guy" and say phew, no can do.
I should have explained better, but this is not really an upgrade price, more like an additional discount for previous owners of other plugins. The price you see in the user area will also be there for probably all year, while the intro price ends next month.
Yes, this is our most expensive plugin so far. And it was also the hardest to work on. We also had to hire several collaborators for the impulses, and we are going to add more in the future. I'm already in contact with other recording studios to prepare new microphone and speaker impulse responses. As with Springs, this plugin will receive constant updates with new models at no extra cost.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

I, of course have several feature requests, but the most important one for me is why unlike say Speakerphone 2 and XLN RC-20 did you opt for a wet and dry knob separately as opposed to a slider, which would have worked much better to me, or at least for me.

And definitely my second feature request is some kind of IR Reverb/space.(Yes I know some of that is in background noise, but it needs to allow more sculpting with parameters imho)

rsp
sound sculptist

jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:49 amWatched the video. This plugin sounds seriously legit. Way better than Audio Ease Speakerphone.

Also, I love the name of f⊗g Convolver. You guys are serious math nerds!
Thank you! Ahah, yes I'm quite proud of the name f⊗g :) I've struggled for a while to find the right name...then it just clicked :D

mixtur.se wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:16 amIs there a further discount for customers (like myself) who owns all qualifying products?
The discount you see in your user area is the final one. There are two tiers, 45%, and 50%. As said before, these discounts will remain active probably all year long, while the intro price ends next month.
Calenberger wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 am The link to download the manual is broken.
Thanks for the heads up! I've fixed it.

I did some quick comparisons with Trash 2, because the two plugins share a lot of functionality. Speakers sounds a lot more convincing in the convolution department - it feels like an afterthought in Trash 2. Of course, Trash 2 wins out in the filter/distortion section, but then Speakers is not an in-yer-face distortion unit. It employs distortion as an understated enhancement of the overall sound, which really gets some nice (and convincing) results. Overall, I'm pretty impressed, a lot of thought went into the design, and the sound is very good, as in: nicely degraded. Tempted!

One feature request (or maybe I missed it): would it be possible to tempo sync the echo?

zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:20 pm I, of course have several feature requests, but the most important one for me is why unlike say Speakerphone 2 and XLN RC-20 did you opt for a wet and dry knob separately as opposed to a slider, which would have worked much better to me, or at least for me.

And definitely my second feature request is some kind of IR Reverb/space.(Yes I know some of that is in background noise, but it needs to allow more sculpting with parameters imho)

rsp
I know that Mix vs separate Dry/Wet controls is a polarizing thing. We decided to have a bit of both. You can control the Mix internally on the Mic and Speaker section, but we thought it would have been a better option to have separate Dry and Wet controls on the master.

We won't be adding reverb/spaces to Speakers. The plan is to dedicate Fog Convolver to exactly that purpose.

audiothing wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:18 pm I know that Mix vs separate Dry/Wet controls is a polarizing thing.
I really don't understand seperate dry/wet. It's as stupid as the seperate hot/cold taps in Britain.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:48 am About ten years ago I had bought Speakerphone 1 on discount for $307.... Always had graphic issues with it, which they fixed in Speakerphone 2, and i could update for $149... I declined... i forgot i even have a license for speakerphone 1 till this.
i had bought futzbox a few years ago and used it very sparingly at the most.

I tried this for about 30 minutes yesterday then bought it.
Thank you for making this. I hope over the years it is developed and expanded.
rsp
Thank you! Yes, that's the plan! Like with our Springs plugin, we already have plans to add more models and features. :party:

ariston wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:12 pm I did some quick comparisons with Trash 2, because the two plugins share a lot of functionality. Speakers sounds a lot more convincing in the convolution department - it feels like an afterthought in Trash 2. Of course, Trash 2 wins out in the filter/distortion section, but then Speakers is not an in-yer-face distortion unit. It employs distortion as an understated enhancement of the overall sound, which really gets some nice (and convincing) results. Overall, I'm pretty impressed, a lot of thought went into the design, and the sound is very good, as in: nicely degraded. Tempted!

One feature request (or maybe I missed it): would it be possible to tempo sync the echo?
Thank you! Hmm, there's not really much space to have a sync button, and I really didn't want to have a full-featured echo section there. It was meant more like feedback/distance control.

Thanks for the response...... Not the response I was hoping for :) but a response.
But yes, when you are doing post production, say for a telephone conversaion and the scene switches from the listener's perspective to the speaker perspective, the dry/wet slide as one slide makes it so much easier to work with.. How about a compromise,..... an optional modifier key that when you hold it down and trouble dry or wet, it increases one whilst decreasing the other? Possible? Something you could look in perhaps? Please :)
rsp
sound sculptist

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:20 pm
audiothing wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:18 pm I know that Mix vs separate Dry/Wet controls is a polarizing thing.
I really don't understand seperate dry/wet. It's as stupid as the seperate hot/cold taps in Britain.
I am fully with you on this one.
rsp
sound sculptist

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:20 pm
Lol, I'm an Italian living in Ireland, so I know the feeling...I also know that you can't really please everyone.

zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:35 pm Thanks for the response...... Not the response I was hoping for :) but a response.
But yes, when you are doing post production, say for a telephone conversaion and the scene switches from the listener's perspective to the speaker perspective, the dry/wet slide as one slide makes it so much easier to work with.. How about a compromise,..... an optional modifier key that when you hold it down and trouble dry or wet, it increases one whilst decreasing the other? Possible? Something you could look in perhaps? Please :)
rsp
That sounds like a nice idea indeed. I'll think about it and how to add it.

audiothing wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:41 pm
zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:35 pm Thanks for the response...... Not the response I was hoping for :) but a response.
rsp
That sounds like a nice idea indeed. I'll think about it and how to add it.
Would appreciate it.
Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Well this is dependant on the country you live in, because here in America despite some politicians doing they're best to keep everything locked down and further plunge the economy the stock market is still higher than it was 4 years ago and US future stocks are soaring, all indications are once the chains come off from the pandemic the economy will be roaring higher than before. Hopefully you're in the same boat because a rising tide raises all ships.
MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:39 am Economists are predicting a downturn the likes of which we have never seen and here's a $54 upgrade hmm for what is your most expensive plugin yet, by quite some margin. I'm going to be "That Guy" and say phew, no can do.

Return to “Effects”