THERMAL - Interactive Distortion Plugin by Output

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's your fault for buying the wrong monitor, it's perfect on my screen. In fact, if anything, it's probably a little large.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I reaaallly wish this had the option to run the bands in parallel mode. It's weird how the original undistorted sound is always playing ontop of what you're doing. I like this plugin tho.

Played with it after black friday week purchase and really enjoyed the presets. I don't have any of the other effects mentioned it is similar to, so it was a nice addition to my plugin library.....until I reopened a saved project in Reaper(v4.78 x64).

Crashes every time.

The web page says Reaper on Win7 is supported. Does not specify which version of Reaper. No demo available to test for such a flaw on an expensive software product released over 4 months ago. And apparently this bug has existed since at least September 2020. Not a good first impression for a first purchase from Output. Big time fail. Hopefully I can get a refund or they fix this bug.

zwhita wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:51 am Played with it after black friday week purchase and really enjoyed the presets. I don't have any of the other effects mentioned it is similar to, so it was a nice addition to my plugin library.....until I reopened a saved project in Reaper(v4.78 x64).

Crashes every time.

The web page says Reaper on Win7 is supported. Does not specify which version of Reaper. No demo available to test for such a flaw on an expensive software product released over 4 months ago. And apparently this bug has existed since at least September 2020. Not a good first impression for a first purchase from Output. Big time fail. Hopefully I can get a refund or they fix this bug.
Same issue here but in studio one 5. Thermal crashes everytime, portal doesn't render properly and so both these black friday purchases are basically unusable... A friend of mine has issues with output plugins as well. I am talking to support right now so hoping they fix them soon.

Maybe it's just my ears.. but the out of the box presets sound amazing to me (sorry, I'm a preset whore :ud:). I'm using Thermal on almost every track. Are there similar plugins with great presets out the box?

JiggSaw wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm I'm using Thermal on almost every track. Are there similar plugins with great presets out the box?
Going in other directions, but with nifty presets: Portal, UVI Shade, Shaperbox, Trash 2, Guitar Rig, Blue Cat Axiom, Triad, Snapheap, Excalibur, Effectrix, KrushPro, Frostbite 2. I'm looking forward to Uhbik's upcoming new version.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:20 am
JiggSaw wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm I'm using Thermal on almost every track. Are there similar plugins with great presets out the box?
Going in other directions, but with nifty presets: Portal, UVI Shade, Shaperbox, Trash 2, Guitar Rig, Blue Cat Axiom, Triad, Snapheap, Excalibur, Effectrix, KrushPro, Frostbite 2. I'm looking forward to Uhbik's upcoming new version.
Thanks for that list. I own some of those but I will check out the ones that I don't.

https://youtu.be/7P1RPSEu0PE

going live with Thermal, just using a saw wave as input, and doing "synthesis" with Thermal

figured I'd share
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

@databroth - Great minds think alike... I used a saw wave as the input signal also to see what Thermal was capable of and the results were thrilling. I personally enjoy the user interface for both Thermal and Portal. I like being able to look "under the hood" to make specific settings that I can then manipulate via the XY control page. It's really good for recording a jam and then cutting up the audio for use as ear candy.

morphex wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:00 am @databroth - Great minds think alike... I used a saw wave as the input signal also to see what Thermal was capable of and the results were thrilling. I personally enjoy the user interface for both Thermal and Portal. I like being able to look "under the hood" to make specific settings that I can then manipulate via the XY control page. It's really good for recording a jam and then cutting up the audio for use as ear candy.
exactly, thermal is incredibly useful, the fact it can be used as almost a synth engine on it's own is insane. I can't wait to finish this pack
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

I just grabbed Thermal during Spring 2022 sale (upgraded bundle to get it).

Very impressed with Thermal and I already had plenty of distortion pluggins (Trash, PA Unfiltered Dent, Sound Toys, etc etc). Thermal is so warm, fat and natural sounding. Just tried it on my B3 organs and its the sound I've been chasing for years. Plenty other great things I'm gonna slap this on.

QUESTION: is there a way to map xy or other parameters to a cc controller?? Can't seem to figure that one out.

Looks interesting but who's got 65 minutes to watch a video about an effect? I wouldn't watch an hour long video about my DAW.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Kevin63101 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:21 pm QUESTION: is there a way to map xy or other parameters to a cc controller?? Can't seem to figure that one out.
Yes, you need to map Macro 1 and Macro 2 separately. All the parameters are MIDI assignable, at least here in FL Studio. What DAW are you using?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:30 pm
Kevin63101 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:21 pm QUESTION: is there a way to map xy or other parameters to a cc controller?? Can't seem to figure that one out.
Yes, you need to map Macro 1 and Macro 2 separately. All the parameters are MIDI assignable, at least here in FL Studio. What DAW are you using?
I use Cubase 9.5 - 10.0 (pro version for pc). I was trying Thermal out in Unify stand alone playing live.

I figured I'd see it on the macro 1 & 2 there (x & y) but couldn't find assignment with mouse right click, help, etc. I'll open/record in cubase and see where the cc message lands on the track.

If you have an easy suggest where to see the assignment that might help. Thanks much.

Protip;
Hook Thermal and Portal X/Ys to an Xbox controller. :party:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Effects”