Contest: July ”Gossip”

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

farlukar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm
Hellfog wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:04 amVoting ends on Aug 31
I assume that's july, I like to listen to entries a few times but a 36-day voting period is a bit overkill…

Oops my bad

July contest stray thoughts...
  • Quite strange, I had Ravel's Bolero and Grieg's In the hall of the mountain king in mind besides Sibelius, and hey, both Ravel and Grieg got into contest!
    The Vangelero by slartibartfast, beside Vangelis there was Morricone too
    Some month, there must happen a contest rule that even vurt can't realise in some nonordinary way!
    Farlukar, your chosen motif is completely unfamiliar to me. I don't listen current popular music and that might hint where the motif comes from, maybe.

harvon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 pm
Some month, there must happen a contest rule that even vurt can't realise in some nonordinary way!
is that a challemge? :lol:

just an expression of a possible but low probability event, and even lower now

In the voting thread skipscada wrote:
skipscada wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 pm 4. Slartibartfast - 4 years? I guess planet design takes time. This piece isn't quite as impressive as the Norwegian fjords, but still monumental.
Thanks for the kind comments. Fortunately this track didn't take me 4 years. But it did take a fair chunk of time out of the month. Mainly because I had to go back and remember how to use the tools.

I am hoping to participate a tad more regularly from now on. At one time I think I went for a couple of years without missing a month. Then life (more specifically, work) happened.

As you are clearly a Hitchhiker's fan, maybe a theme for a future contest could be "The Answer", and every entry has to figure out what the question is.... Or every entry has to have a theme/motif consisting of exactly 42 notes....
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

Before I vote I thought I would offer some thoughts/impressions regarding the entries (I hesitate to call them reviews). I know that I appreciate getting feedback of any kind regarding my music. Hopefully you do too.

In order of submission:
mountainmaster - Furious Moonlight
A deft transcription of a classic piece to a completely new genre. Sounds great. It would have been interesting to hear this transcribed for a full hard rock band, but I enjoyed it as is.

harvon - How not to do an instrumental
Thanks for introducing me to this Sibelius piece. Finlandia is obviously his most well-known composition (and one of my favourites). You certainly did create something new from this theme. I am not sure that the spoken words were necessary or added to the piece, and if the quality of the samples/instruments that you used was better, this would have risen higher up my rankings.

The Noodlist - Triple cheese
Nothing cheesy about this to my ear. Well produced and played. You didn't mention where the motif came from, but I presume that it was Brahms lullaby. There certainly wouldn't be any babies falling asleep to this! There were some sections where only the rhythm section were playing that tended to go on a little overlong, but overall this was an enjoyable listen.

Eauson - Satie G
This is a very skillful interpretation and re-imagination of Satie's most famous piece; certainly recognisable. I think it is one of the hardest things to do, to take such a famous work and convert it into something completely new while still clearly referencing the original piece. But not only that, it is a wonderfully absorbing and relaxing piece.

skipscada - Moody Morning
A nicely chilled/lounge version of this famous piece. Simply, but effectively done. (When I say simple, I mean the arrangement - there is clearly a high degree of skill in the guitar playing). Most enjoyable.

beanpole - I Don't Care
Barber's Adagio for Strings is one of my top 3 all-time favourite classical pieces. It never fails to bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye. Not in this version, though! You have very successfully taken this in a completely different direction and turned it into a catchy pop track. It is great to see how your mixing and production skills have improved over the years - though I miss the Scottish accent! Having said that, it seemed to me that the bass on this track was somewhat over-compressed (for my taste at least) in an otherwise great sounding mix.

vurt - vurthoven's vth symfunny
What would this contest be without some vurt weirdness. This had me smiling in places in response to the outrageousness of it. And the variety of interpretations of a theme, and the individuality of those who participate in these contests is one of the things that keeps bringing me back.

Laguna Rising - Quest for Water
This could have ended up being quite a schizophrenic track, given that it had two separate themes, yet ends up holding together well. Very alternative and prog-rocky in places, which gets a big thumbs up from me. The levels are incredibly hot though. Did it need to be so loud? A great listen overall.

farlukar - IDK
I don't know either. It doesn't sound like any motif that I recognise, but as I am getting on in years, I can identify with your problem. Anyhow - to your track.... It brings to mind slow motion images of an elephant dancing with a butterfly being observed by someone who has overindulged in illicit substances. Not sure if that was what you were going for, but if it was, you succeeded! Pleasantly weird.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

buggerit!
bit late on voting, thought it was tomorrow for some reason :oops:

slartibartfast wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:23 pm mountainmaster - Furious Moonlight
A deft transcription of a classic piece to a completely new genre. Sounds great. It would have been interesting to hear this transcribed for a full hard rock band, but I enjoyed it as is.
Thanks! Since I was curious as well I made that hard rock band version. The bass is doing the sostenuto part, which in the original version was hidden inside the guitar arpeggio.

Somehow the "band" sounds less powerful than the Obsession synth, but that is a beast which is hard to beat.

Furious Moonlight (rock version)

Edit: Ok, slight change... Since this has a kind of live feel to it I thought it would be fun to mix in a fake audience. :lol:

farlukar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pmBTW, can anyone here tell me what my entry is based on?
The melodies are in my memory, but the author and title are not :?
I found it :party:

yay!
ive heard some bizet, but not enough to be in my memory stores. not sure i know this piece in particular.

Return to “Music Cafe”