untitled - new, space

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thomekk wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 am I love absynth. And now I got it. You used the fx-version (?). Great stuff - I enjoyed it!
It's the instrument version. No audio files were harmed by Absynth.
Thank you.

SCprogfan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:19 am The Day The Earth Stood Still (the movie) is playing on the TV right behind me, and this music was riding along perfectly with the images for quite a while! Nice work. I have a hot/cold relationship with music like this, sometimes I actually try to make it but usually fail. This piece was very effective at creating a mood. Again, nice work.
Thanks

The mood shift in the middle is a bit nuts. It's like a delusion or a dream. Not sure why it's there except I wanted to orchestrate with that low brass. Took a long time to execute, where this won't have the way the rest of it is.

(it's there to set up the last section, working backwards it winds up very consonant at the change. I had a very different thing the firxt time I went diatonic there. It gives a tonal kind of look to motivic/intervallic things later.)

I just played the latest (Jul 26) upload. I like the flute/trumpet/trombone/percussion contributions. It's nice when the band turns up.

Good work :)

Thx
dropbox reported times are off; 'just now' turns into 'yesterday at n o'clock' after a few minutes. latest upload at that time was prob. Aug 3.

Mixing it now. There is no way this is going to turn out very clean, at any rate.
Things I learned here include that variances in pitch, and the naturalistic instability of this against other like phenomena, can, instead of sounding dissonantly 'out-of-tune', sound more like harmonic distortion ie., saturated.
EG: the male choir of voices, not prominent in the mix is there to color and sort of comb its range; this is why a choir works as it does, but it also does its thing against others in its vicinity. So the crazy middle section has more than one track going a little wambly and it sounds sort of vintage even with all the highs which can't be in 'vintage'. I exerted what control I could without defeating the purpose of some of it.

kind of had to abandon myself to this sort of dirt

So, it's time to do something else, beyond tired of hearing this. This may be was the penultimate render.
Now it's:
https://youtu.be/JB_54CV7-hs

easily the wackiest thing I have made. hazards of winging it with no net, this section at 1:22 from just a different world than the rest of it. Musically it follows but the style is flown in from... nowhere in the vicinity.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

I think the section starting at 1:22 fits well- everything before that feels like an intro, and I'm waiting for something to happen.

I could see this as the backing to like some horrific transformation scene. This is really cool.
01014.org - the 01014 net label
:phones: 24/7 label-community radio :phones:
Submit tracks for radio here
twitch

Thanks. Heh. Yeah, it's kind of the inverse of the primrose path leading you to the brick wall. You pass thru the brick wall molecularly and come out at the primrose path. But then back. 0_O

The way the original track goes, it's clear that right there is a peak in the arc (the outcome is around 4 sec. shorter than the original Absynth performance). I found after days of struggling with this that the big yellow C^9 (#11) was the most effective sort of 'come' change I could finagle there. I had to think in terms of 'chord', and then 'cadential 6/4', which I don't tend to do.
I had something hipper but it was doomed to fail because I'd have a sort of demolition project on my hands (the ethos here is stick with the original event) with no guarantee. I did demolish some of the 'overdub' parts, but not the original except for tucking 4 seconds from the whole.

Return to “Music Cafe”