KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:04 pm that's because you don't need to actually drive a saw or square wave to get a lot of harmonics.
Is your YouTube channel called No Shit Sherlock Sound Design by any chance?

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:10 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:04 pm that's because you don't need to actually drive a saw or square wave to get a lot of harmonics.
Is your YouTube channel called No Shit Sherlock Sound Design by any chance?
Did you mean to quote yourself there?
Because seriously, yeah, gainstaging is super important if you don't want to alias a f**king sinewave. Driving a square/pulse it will only make it a little worse, which is what i wrote.

a lot of butt-hurt buyers in here i see. :D

C395ACE1-9F5E-43B9-9572-B209C2D93217.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

downvote me all you want - this thing has a legitimate aliasing issue. probably won't be heard at bass ranges, but it can be heard well around C4...

so unless knif is an old digital device that sounds like it's been pushed through Decimort, something is wrong here.

... or you can ask PA why are they selling you poorly executed shit.

edit:
pls stay POSITIVE guys

Here's what the manual says.
Also that clip you posted doesn't really sound like aliasing to me, it sounds like the output is being driven,which happens when the vco level is set to like 5 or above. Maybe that's what aliasing is to you but it doesn't really sound the same to my ears, as some lower quality old free vsts. I wish brainworx would come in and participate in the convo, definitely out of my depth but honestly it's as simple if the design doesn't inspire you then don't use it :)
I came here to hear what people are making with it so please post yr trax
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Zoopy on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

look dude, i lowered everything and got aliasing from squares and sawtooths.
now you can try to convince me that this is a bass synth, or that i'ts unreal to play at C4, or that i should bypass the basic sound colour function of this synth (tubey-ness) to use it without aliasing, but fact is: if you use it normally out of the box, without EFX, it aliases more than VA competition. end of story.

if you know how a sawtooth and square wave looks like on a FFT you will know that you don't NEED to drive it to get a lot of harmonic content over nyquist, and if that isn't dealt with properly IT WILL alias.

the aliasing i recorded remains relatively the same if i lower VCO output, master volume, change to pentode or saturated. Doesn't matter.
as i said, ALIASING is not a design choice - it's a flaw and an oversight.
Last edited by Ploki on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:12 pm a lot of butt-hurt buyers in here i see. :D
Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:15 pm pls stay POSITIVE guys

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:26 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:12 pm a lot of butt-hurt buyers in here i see. :D
Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:15 pm pls stay POSITIVE guys
the positive thing is a joke

Ploki, I've put this through 4x OS in Metaplugin and still hear these "artifacts". And this is not low-level either.
So I assume this is
- an oversight / bug
- the original sounds like this (unlikely?!)
- intentionally lazy programmers (oh come on :) )

I'd think on 4x OS aliasing should be gone mostly...
Btw RePro seems to be 8x OS:
https://www.u-he.com/downloads/UrsBlog/ ... veiled.pdf

To the others: It has really nothing to do with gain staging, as I'm hearing it on all settings.

So anyone contacted PA about this yet?

dermage wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm Ploki, I've put this through 4x OS in Metaplugin and still hear these "artifacts". And this is not low-level either.
So I assume this is
- an oversight / bug
- the original sounds like this (unlikely?!)
- intentionally lazy programmers (oh come on :) )

I'd think on 4x OS aliasing should be gone mostly...

To the others: It has really nothing to do with gain staging, as I'm hearing it on all settings.

So anyone contacted PA about this yet?
phew a reasonable voice.

i raised my sampling rate to 192Khz when i was trying it and it disappeared when i played up to C5.
returned at 96khz and got worse at 48khz. (With sawtooth)
can you try switching project instead of going through metaplug?

I don't think its intentionally lazy... but PA has categorically dismissed aliasing as an issue since SPL IRON exploded in their face on gearslutz.

who brings a knifonium to a gun fight?

Why can't someone check this with Plugin Doctor?
Should not be too difficult to solve this question.
Screenshots prefered.

ya i hate when im listening to a track on the dancefloor and i hear aliasing. I immediately go home- night ruined.

Calenberger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm Why can't someone check this with Plugin Doctor?
Should not be too difficult to solve this question.
Screenshots prefered.
plugindoctor cant process instruments

Zoopy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:36 pm ya i hate when im listening to a track on the dancefloor and i hear aliasing. I immediately go home- night ruined.
its painful at high volume so i can totally understand why.

Return to “Instruments”