KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

f**k me swingin'!!! Two minutes with the demo and I'm sold. This thing is an absolute monster. Up until just now I had only listened to a few demos, none of which clued me in as to just how filthy this thing is. It's like everything I love about the sound of Vacuum Pro, amped up to 11, with your choice of vacuum tubes (you can choose Triode, Pentode or Saturated in the Amp section, in case you are unfamiliar). $99 seems like an absolute bargain to me (and who knows, it might finally qualify me for the vouchers everyone else seems to get?).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:18 am f**k me swingin'!!! Two minutes with the demo and I'm sold. This thing is an absolute monster. Up until just now I had only listened to a few demos, none of which clued me in as to just how filthy this thing is. It's like everything I love about the sound of Vacuum Pro, amped up to 11, with your choice of vacuum tubes (you can choose Triode, Pentode or Saturated in the Amp section, in case you are unfamiliar). $99 seems like an absolute bargain to me (and who knows, it might finally qualify me for the vouchers everyone else seems to get?).
Unless you have already bought it for $99, you can grab a $25, $50 or $75 code from someone for free or cheap (in the next few days), so that it is an even better bargain.

I think PA system needs at least a couple of orders for one to become eligible for the vouchers. But these days voucher codes have been given away for free towards the end of the month in the bargain thread and sell & buy forum, especially the $25 one. Why spend more when you can get it for less that too easily?

KNIFONIUM does sound awesome. I only wish it was NKS compatible.
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 am
It is

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:45 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 am
It is
Damn, don't know how I overlooked this. Thank you. :oops:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 amUnless you have already bought it for $99, you can grab a $25, $50 or $75 code from someone for free or cheap (in the next few days), so that it is an even better bargain.
Strangely enough, Id rather give $99 to the developer than give money to someone who didn't earn it, just to get it cheaper. $299 is a ridiculous price but $99 is more than enough of a bargain for me, thanks.
I think PA system needs at least a couple of orders for one to become eligible for the vouchers.
It says you have to spend $50 and I've only spent $49 on bx_oberhausen, until today.
But these days voucher codes have been given away for free towards the end of the month in the bargain thread and sell & buy forum, especially the $25 one. Why spend more when you can get it for less that too easily?
Because I have to wonder why someone would be happy to undermine a business by giving away a voucher they earned. That's the sort of thing I would do if I wanted to see a company fail but Brainworx is a company I want to see do well, so I'm happy to pay a reasonable sum, within the absurd framework that PA have created.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Brainworx = PA, AFAIK. :)

BONES wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:06 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 amUnless you have already bought it for $99, you can grab a $25, $50 or $75 code from someone for free or cheap (in the next few days), so that it is an even better bargain.
Strangely enough, Id rather give $99 to the developer than give money to someone who didn't earn it, just to get it cheaper. $299 is a ridiculous price but $99 is more than enough of a bargain for me, thanks.
I think PA system needs at least a couple of orders for one to become eligible for the vouchers.
It says you have to spend $50 and I've only spent $49 on bx_oberhausen, until today.
But these days voucher codes have been given away for free towards the end of the month in the bargain thread and sell & buy forum, especially the $25 one. Why spend more when you can get it for less that too easily?
Because I have to wonder why someone would be happy to undermine a business by giving away a voucher they earned. That's the sort of thing I would do if I wanted to see a company fail but Brainworx is a company I want to see do well, so I'm happy to pay a reasonable sum, within the absurd framework that PA have created.
No worries, appreciate your frank thoughts. $99 is indeed a great price for a special synth like Knifonium. And sometimes it feels a bit guilty to get such amazing synths for very low prices. But it's the framework they have knowingly created for us to take advantage of. If I could afford to pay $99, I would certainly have. Because I can't and there's a system to get it for lower price, there's nothing criminal to get it for that lower price.

Again, I totally understand and appreciate your good intention to support the company. :tu:

BONES wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:06 am Because I have to wonder why someone would be happy to undermine a business by giving away a voucher they earned. That's the sort of thing I would do if I wanted to see a company fail but Brainworx is a company I want to see do well, so I'm happy to pay a reasonable sum, within the absurd framework that PA have created.
PA didn't do that because they're dumb.
25$ voucher = 32$ minimal spend. PA gets 7$.
License transfer = 20$. To use a voucher you need to transfer two licenses which is 32$, PA gets 7$.

Most of people wouldn't buy a plugin without the voucher. The means PA wouldn't get the 7$ they get.

Every voucher that someone gives away earns PA money.
Every voucher that is not used loses PA money.
If you want to see PA fail, don't give away vouchers, that's the only way vouchers hurt PA. :wink:

Further more, the prices are dumped so heavily to to invite you into their subscription system.
Seeing 250$/year subscription gives you a 199$ voucher, you'd think you only spent 50$ right?
you didn't, PA got 250$, they gave you some plugins you wouldn't have bought anyway since you're subscribed anyway.

Dirk doesn't drive a lambo because he's stupid.
I might not like PA's marketing and business practices but they're objectively f**king incredible, and it made PA grow like crazy... and most people don't complain at all!
It makes Waves looks like a bunch of clueless idiots in comparison - in contrast with PA, most of what waves does with sales is illegal, people complain all the f**king time, and i bet that they don't earn as much as PA does.
chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:12 am Brainworx = PA, AFAIK. :)
absolutely is.
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:17 am No worries, appreciate your frank thoughts. $99 is indeed a great price for a special synth like Knifonium. And sometimes it feels a bit guilty to get such amazing synths for very low prices. But it's the framework they have knowingly created for us to take advantage of. If I could afford to pay $99, I would certainly have. Because I can't and there's a system to get it for lower price, there's nothing criminal to get it for that lower price.

Again, I totally understand and appreciate your good intention to support the company. :tu:
You really shouldn't feel guilty. PA is doing better than many other devs :D
They're not the ones being taken advantage of, they're doing great.
Last edited by Ploki on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, that's the irony here.

Ploki wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:17 am You really shouldn't feel guilty. PA is doing better than many other devs :D
Yeah, I do understand they would be doing great. The feeling is mainly because developing (such) synths is a huge task. :)

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:26 am Yeah, I do understand they would be doing great. The feeling is mainly because developing (such) synths is a huge task. :)
Subjective and i won't go into it too much, people hate me already :D

Knif still has some glaring oversights that i'm not sure why haven't been fixed yet - the "parameter lag", I.e. if you automate filter for example, it will change it's timing if you change sampling rate you work at. (as you increase sample rate, parameters response gets faster.).
so same automation moves will sound much different at different sampling rates.

I do some prototyping in max and its a common mistake not to make timing and frequency sampling rate dependent. Shit happens (like the aliasing upon release did) - but they really should fix things like that.

I guess that's where the cost of plugin is reflected in the end - maintenance and CS.
It's a calculated cost. Most people wont notice and wont care, and there'll be another plugin released in a month that will take most of the spotlight so a lot of things can slide, that can't if you have a smaller catalogue. If only 20 out of 500000 subscribers complain, you can refund them, give them a voucher, or simply ban them from facebook - you're making good money in the end.
Same goes for the ticket response.

It's economical and it makes great business frankly, and I really have to give it to dirk for being a visionary here, i.e. plugins shifting towards prosumer/amateur market is where the real money is today, not the professional market. (Apple did the same thing)

Before chk accuses me of being personal again, this isn't personal, it's observational. It's something Softube is also guilty of (probably not to the same degree), and i still use their plugins.

Ploki wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:17 amand most people don't complain at all!
Really? You are about the only person I've ever seen defend them. Most people seem to think it's absurd and are annoyed by it. I know that was the overwhelming sentiment when Thorn moved over to PA. Everyone was pissed off about it. I looked at several plugins and lost interest the moment I realised it was through PA and their stupid business model, long before I ever saw anything about them on KVR (or elsewhere). just the experience of visiting their website put me off. I'd probably own a lot more of the things they sell if I had direct access to the developers to get them, or could get them from my preferred vendors, like Plugin Boutique.

If the guy who runs PA is really driving a Lambo, it's because he's exploiting the developers and it's those guys I am keen to support, not PA itself.
absolutely is.
In the case of Knifonium, though, Knif seems to have retained control of the product's destiny. It shows up in my VST list as Knif Knifonium, not Brainworx Knifonium. It's probably him that won't let them sell it too cheap.
You really shouldn't feel guilty. PA is doing better than many other devs :D
Well, you know what they say - nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the market.

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 am You are about the only person I've ever seen defend them.
:lol: he's not defending them

Ploki wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:36 amKnif still has some glaring oversights that i'm not sure why haven't been fixed yet - the "parameter lag", I.e. if you automate filter for example, it will change it's timing if you change sampling rate you work at. (as you increase sample rate, parameters response gets faster.).
so same automation moves will sound much different at different sampling rates.
Just out of curiosity, why would you change your sample rate?
It's economical and it makes great business frankly, and I really have to give it to dirk for being a visionary here, i.e. plugins shifting towards prosumer/amateur market is where the real money is today, not the professional market.
Is that what he's doing? I always saw PA as a place where professionals, used to paying a fortune for their stuff, get fleeced. That's why I steered clear of it for years - it seemed like a con. You really need to buy into their ecosystem, or hang out at a place like KVR, to find out what it's really all about.

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:37 am Just out of curiosity, why would you change your sample rate?
Plenty of reasons why would you. Different target medium, i got a bunch of files i need to work with in different sample rate, client asks for a high sampling rate, etc. (not within the same project)
It doesn't make sense for tools to behave so differently as you switch sampling rates.
I noticed this bug because i write automation with "nob control" and knif's response at 48 was piss-poor for directly interfacing. (try doing some fast filters moves). Then i tried writing automation and i discovered that lag also affects automation.
Then i switched sampling rates to higher, to show my friend that v1 aliasing isn't tube saturation. and spotted that everything i did with automation just fell apart.
I'm not sure about midi.
in any case - timing is shit. These two things upon release kind of ticked me that something isn't right there.
Also, it's pretty inconsistent, timbre changes with sampling rates. It's kind of a nuisance. Most modern VST synths retain majority of the character from 44.1 to 192.
BONES wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:37 am Is that what he's doing? I always saw PA as a place where professionals, used to paying a fortune for their stuff, get fleeced. That's why I steered clear of it for years - it seemed like a con. You really need to buy into their ecosystem, or hang out at a place like KVR, to find out what it's really all about.
well yeah if you ask me he's catering to amateurs and prosumers. Pro's are a shit market, honestly.
A bunch of dads in their "man-caves" are a MUCH better market.
BONES wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 am Really? You are about the only person I've ever seen defend them. Most people seem to think it's absurd and are annoyed by it. I know that was the overwhelming sentiment when Thorn moved over to PA. Everyone was pissed off about it. I looked at several plugins and lost interest the moment I realised it was through PA and their stupid business model, long before I ever saw anything about them on KVR (or elsewhere). just the experience of visiting their website put me off. I'd probably own a lot more of the things they sell if I had direct access to the developers to get them, or could get them from my preferred vendors, like Plugin Boutique.
Uh, I really don't defend PA. I'm just trying to keep it objective, so Hink doesn't yeet my ass.
BONES wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 am If the guy who runs PA is really driving a Lambo, it's because he's exploiting the developers and it's those guys I am keen to support, not PA itself.
Guy who runs PA == guy who runs bx. same guy, he's the founder of bx and later PA.

Devs come and go at bx (as is apparent by the credits on their plugins). one of my friends works there now, but we didn't talk about how exactly they do money there (nor i think would it be smart for me to discuss it on a public forum even if he were to told me)
BONES wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 am In the case of Knifonium, though, Knif seems to have retained control of the product's destiny. It shows up in my VST list as Knif Knifonium, not Brainworx Knifonium. It's probably him that won't let them sell it too cheap.
i think most of PA plugs retain hover around 30% of their list price for about half a year, then drop to 10%. What kind of contracts he's doing with separate brands is anyone's guess. Might be a fixed fee license for the name for all we know?
It has brainworx logo right under knif on the main interface.
Knif don't list the plug on their page.
Also, bx codes elysia, SPL, amek and a bunch of shit in their catalogue and they all kinda retain their "control"? Not sure what you mean by that. My guess it's just the terms of licensing the name.

Return to “Instruments”