KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a great sounding plugin, but I think the lag on some of the controls is a real problem that needs to be addressed. The pitch bend response is so slow it’s unusable. Mapping physical knobs to other controls (such as filter cutoff) shows they also have a delayed response, which means they don’t respond to automation as expected either.

There’s also an issue with the way envelopes are triggered. Try setting voices to 1, then play a legato phrase (overlapping notes). It’s retriggering the envelope not just when you play a key, but also when you release a key that was already held down. Surely this can’t be the intended behavior, because it sounds bad and broken (no other synth I’ve ever used does this).

I still like this plugin; I just find it frustrating and not very fun to noodle around with it because of these rough edges.
Stormchild

The lag decreases (obviously and audibly) if you increase sampling rate.

As i said a few times, they f**ked up timing constants (they’re tied to samples not milliseconds) and never fixed it. I reported it last year.

Given their track record i don’t expect it fixed, ever

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:28 am That's very common behaviour. Off the top of my head, both my Uno synths do it. It allows for a technique I've been using for many years where you hold one note down and when you play alternating notes, it retriggers the envelope on release, so it plays the held note again. So if I hold down a C and then play a series of Gs, say 16th notes, with a 16th note gap between, what you hear is C, G, C, G, C, G, etc., with the envelope being retriggered for the C every time you release the G key.
I know what you mean…I have synths that behave that way (and it is indeed useful), but there is something different about the behavior in Knifonium that I find annoying and unpleasant. I'll see if I can pin it down and explain it better.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:58 amI know what you mean…I have synths that behave that way (and it is indeed useful), but there is something different about the behavior in Knifonium that I find annoying and unpleasant. I'll see if I can pin it down and explain it better.
Cool, I'll have a go at it from my side and see what I can make happen. I've only ever sequenced it so it hasn't come up.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I bought a Mac mini M1 because the cost was low, and the performance is really good. I was sick of my crappy Acer Nitro 5 pc laptop underperforming. In hindsight, I should have built my own PC desktop, but I needed something quick for my job since I work remote. I understand your perspective on Apple, and I do agree. I will say overall the M1 chip has improved my projects performance overall, and I never have to freeze any of my tracks. That is a huge plus

Are you kidding? You can get an 11th Gen i7 Nitro 5 with GTX graphics for $80 more than a Mac Mini. That's a complete computer - with a keyboard and display - as opposed to a little box that requires hundreds of dollars worth of peripherals. I see zero value in a Mac Mini over a Nitro 5. In fact, at that price, a Nitro 5 looks like a really good buy to me. Thanks for pointing it out.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:32 am Are you kidding? You can get an 11th Gen i7 Nitro 5 with GTX graphics for $80 more than a Mac Mini. That's a complete computer - with a keyboard and display - as opposed to a little box that requires hundreds of dollars worth of peripherals. I see zero value in a Mac Mini over a Nitro 5. In fact, at that price, a Nitro 5 looks like a really good buy to me. Thanks for pointing it out.

lol, rekt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I know that keyboards and monitors are SUPER expensive these days but would also add I'd love to hear the fan noise on the M1 Mini vs the laptop...

vertibration wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:26 pm I bought a Mac mini M1 because the cost was low, and the performance is really good. I was sick of my crappy Acer Nitro 5 pc laptop underperforming. In hindsight, I should have built my own PC desktop, but I needed something quick for my job since I work remote. I understand your perspective on Apple, and I do agree. I will say overall the M1 chip has improved my projects performance overall, and I never have to freeze any of my tracks. That is a huge plus
Not sure I get it. So the Mini is working well for you and wasn't expensive but in hindsight you should have built a desktop PC?

rezoneight wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:58 pm
vertibration wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:26 pm I bought a Mac mini M1 because the cost was low, and the performance is really good. I was sick of my crappy Acer Nitro 5 pc laptop underperforming. In hindsight, I should have built my own PC desktop, but I needed something quick for my job since I work remote. I understand your perspective on Apple, and I do agree. I will say overall the M1 chip has improved my projects performance overall, and I never have to freeze any of my tracks. That is a huge plus
Not sure I get it. So the Mini is working well for you and wasn't expensive but in hindsight you should have built a desktop PC?
He was just sucking up to Bones's bullying. Didn't help him, Bones tried to make him feel bad about his choice anyway. Again if any of us was as consistently ad hominem via rhetorical questions attacking people as Bones, we would be permanently banned. :borg:

machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 am
rezoneight wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:58 pm
He was just sucking up to Bones's bullying. Didn't help him, Bones tried to make him feel bad about his choice anyway. Again if any of us was as consistently ad hominem via rhetorical questions attacking people as Bones, we would be permanently banned. :borg:
100%

Return to “Instruments”