Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

Erich.Pfister wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 pm Here's that first patch bank, 9 patches today. I will release patches on a daily basis, then consolidate them once I have 100 or so.
Preset / Patch Banks
Thanks for the patches.
I find them promising :-)

Unfortunately I encounter problems using the last version of Anacreon on my system (Windows 10 - 64 bit - Cubase 10)
Anacreon crashes quite often unexpectedly.
It may crash the daw when I try to change the voice polyphony of a preset (BTW with more than 4 voices I get crackles) or it may happen when I save a project.
Suddenly Cubase simply disappears.

I tried to find reproducible steps but could not, this behaviour seems to be quite erratic.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

@teacue downloading a trial copy of Cubase to see if I can replicate the bugs!

I've also been experiencing crashes with the latest version in FL Studio and Waveform. It seems to happen when I start the process to load a preset. It doesn't always happen - I can load some presets fine. But when it does happen, it's pretty immediately after I hit the open preset button.

Unfortunately, I don't have too much time to do a lots of tests these days. I hadn't been doing much testing, so I don't have enough data to say I know that the above is really the issue. I haven't done much more lately than load a few presets. One thing I have done, apart from that, is re-create my own presets from screen-grabs. That process didn't cause crashes.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

@resistent, Mousewheel sounds like a great idea as well as the clearer view of grabbed cable - I think I can achieve both. The rest of your suggestions are already in the works and will be a part of 2.5.3

@pough and teacue - I think I know what's going on, will patch with a 2.5.2.1 version to fix that.

Edit in bold above - this is a better version number
Last edited by Erich.Pfister on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm also experiencing a lot of crashes. It's almost 100% guaranteed to crash if I simply switch between presets many times in a row. I also almost always get a crash when I delete/remove an Anacreon plugin instance from a Reaper session. And finally I also get a Reaper crash when exiting Reaper with any Anacreon plugin instance turned on.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Erich.Pfister wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:54 pm @pough and teacue - I think I know what's going on, will patch with a 2.5.25 version to fix that.
Great to hear :-)
Also thank you for your fast reaction!
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

@teacue You're very welcome! I'm doing my best to get these bugs out of the way so you all can just focus on making awesome sounds.

I will be uploading V 2.5.2.1 in roughly 15 minutes - because Steinberg is rate limiting my cubase download, I have only tested this release in reaper and ableton but I'm not getting any crashes.

I basically just removed some multithreading on the preset load / save functionality that was probably causing the problem. If anyone's got the time to run the update and see if it crashes the same, that would be super helpful!

Anacreon 2.5.2.1 Released for Paid and Demo versions

If it still crashes, then I'm going to have to do some investigation. I just applied an intuitive bugfix, was not able to recreate the crash.

@bmanic - I don't know why, but my version of Reaper isn't crashing. I am thinking that its a multithreading problem - this bugfix just consisted of removing the multithreading from the GUI.

@pough - seriously, you've gone above and beyond on so many occasions, I just want to make this plugin work so you and everyone else can enjoy making music without crashes. I don't think you should have to be dealing with these kinds bugs in software that you paid for.

Erich.Pfister wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 pm Anacreon 2.5.2.1 Released for Paid and Demo versions

If it still crashes, then I'm going to have to do some investigation. I just applied an intuitive bugfix, was not able to recreate the crash.
After playing about 15 minutes with Anacreon I did not have one crash or poof.
It seems much better :-)

But as I mentioned earlier I get crackles as soon as Anacreon is playing polyphon
I must set my buffer size to 4096 in order to get rid of the crackles.

My PC is not the newest but also not completely weak:
Intel i7-6700K CPU @ 4.000GHz
Soundcard RME Raydat
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

resistent wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:26 pm Is a sine wave for OSC an option for you Erich?

CPU is quite high sometimes (around 50% on my AMD Ryzen 3700U 16gb) is this normal.
And I have also some crashes on Live 10.1.13 Win10 64-bit.
The LFO can be used as a sine wave when you turn up keytracking to 100%.

The filters will also produce beautiful sine waves if you put the resonance up to 100%, turn up keytracking to 100%, and give them a small signal at the input (maybe from the noise module with the gain and decay really low, maybe with an envelope at a small gain value and a short decay as well?). For the LFO sine, the tuning is adjusted via the "rate" control.
For the Filter sine, the tuning is adjusted via the "freq" control.

CPU usage is basically your polyphony times your processing complexity.

The filters are the most expensive component, followed by oscillators. Everything else is relatively cheap. Extensive modulation can start to eat into processing time.

Most of the work being done is just plain difficult work required to make the synth sound really good - I'm not wasting processing cycles on unnecessary things and I've optimized everything to the point where literally no division happens in the processing loop, just multiplication and bit twiddling hacks. Also, no blocking / system calls happen in the processing loop. The only lock is the preset save/load system call, and that's in the GUI thread.

In the future, I plan to increase efficiency by preallocating memory in a big continuous chunk, physically placing entire data sets right next to one another in RAM so that they stand a better chance of getting into one of your processor's caches in fewer operations.

As for those crashes - I'm hoping that this most recent update dealt with them, but I'd like to see what you report. I run windows 7 64 bit with 64 bit ableton 10.1.14, the most recent version of reaper, tracktion, and studio one and haven't had any crashes. This frustrates me because I know its crashing for everyone else - the joys of debugging.

EDIT there's a rate limiter on the LFO - my bad! I'll fix that on the next release so you can use it as a sine wave.
Last edited by Erich.Pfister on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”