Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

Kott wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:39 am
Erich.Pfister wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:16 pm JUCE? Splashscreen or $40 per month
or opensource
Yep but I'm not ready to go open source - good point though.

Behold, I have acheived cross-platform triangles.
thankgiving miracle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It's great that you've achieved cross-platform triangles in orange! Can you do green in a future release?

ahanysz wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:15 am It's great that you've achieved cross-platform triangles in orange! Can you do green in a future release?
I sure hope so! I'll have to see if OpenGL 2.0 supports green, though.

Erich.Pfister wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:52 pm
ahanysz wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:15 am It's great that you've achieved cross-platform triangles in orange! Can you do green in a future release?
I sure hope so! I'll have to see if OpenGL 2.0 supports green, though.
Just turn off band limiting for your triangles. Then if you use blue at a high enough resolution, it will alias to green.

Hey everybody - quick update:

Things I have Done
- I have completely removed VSTGUI from this project and learned OpenGL. This will eventually lead to cross-platform releases.
- I have rendered great looking knobs.
- I have finally fixed the plugin preset issue! No backwards compatibility, but we're going to be forward compatible as of the next release.
- I will no longer allow patch cables to be automated by the host and they will not be exported as VST parameters. (should fix automation problems)
- I have implemented VST3's IConnectionPoint to send JSON messages between controller and processor, which I will use to update all sorts of stuff

Things I will Do by Next Release
- Skinnable UI with hackable layout
- Double-click to type exact values instead of dragging knob
- Improved patch cable rendering system (so you can see what you're doing)
- Improved utility and effect modules
anacreonprogress 24-01-2024.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Very cool! Will your new gui system be able to scale up for high resolution monitors (HiDPI)? Most monitors are coming that way these days. On a personal level, it’s what my laptop uses. 😉
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:14 am Very cool! Will your new gui system be able to scale up for high resolution monitors (HiDPI)? Most monitors are coming that way these days. On a personal level, it’s what my laptop uses. 😉
I have no reason to believe that cannot implement this. I'm rendering with openGL using models and textures, so I expect to be able to handle this pretty gracefully compared to the sprite blitting from the vst3gui library I was previously stuck with.

Just a quick update - my next big hurdle is to create a parser to handle config files, internal messaging between the GUI and the processor, and preset files. I've never written a parser before, but my college buddy Alex knows how to write full-on compilers so I expect that he'll be able to bring me up to speed on the comparatively basic parsing I need.

Thanks for the update! I keep watching with interest! :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:35 pm Thanks for the update! I keep watching with interest! :)
I was reading your signature and I wanted to say that I agree with it. Sure, I want to make money off of my plugins, but I know that invasive software protection is a losing battle for everyone involved. At the end of the day, if my work is pirated, it means that I've succeeded at creating something popular enough to torrent in the first place.

I promise that my software will never require a dongle or login and I promise that my software won't stop working if my server eventually shuts down.

Erich.Pfister wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:05 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:35 pm Thanks for the update! I keep watching with interest! :)
I was reading your signature and I wanted to say that I agree with it. Sure, I want to make money off of my plugins, but I know that invasive software protection is a losing battle for everyone involved. At the end of the day, if my work is pirated, it means that I've succeeded at creating something popular enough to torrent in the first place.

I promise that my software will never require a dongle or login and I promise that my software won't stop working if my server eventually shuts down.
I really appreciate that promise! :) I've been an activist against invasive software protection for over a decade now--my sig is at least that old. :D I still feel so strongly about it that I use Linux, and I don't use any applications or plugins that require anything more than a serial number or a keyfile--and these programs must not tie themselves to any hardware and must not call home. 8)

If those four criteria are met, I consider it good copy protection. 8)

Erich.Pfister wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:58 pm Just a quick update - my next big hurdle is to create a parser to handle config files, internal messaging between the GUI and the processor, and preset files. I've never written a parser before, but my college buddy Alex knows how to write full-on compilers so I expect that he'll be able to bring me up to speed on the comparatively basic parsing I need.
I'm not up to date on this, but there used to be no end of nifty parser-generating tools. And I bet things have got better over time, not worse :-) The reason why you write parsers in college is to demonstrate that you know the theory, not because writing parsers is a thing you need to do in the real world. Just pick up something off the shelf.

The main task is to design or choose a simple grammar for your config file. Ideally something human-readable, so that your nerdier users can hack it in a text editor. So please not XML. Last time I checked, the cool kids were using JSON, which is pretty easy to read and edit by hand, and has lots of nice libraries for parsing. Or old-fashioned "key=value" pairs are good too, if you can make it work that way. Either way, once you've got the grammar, the parsing should be the easy part.

Have fun! (I found this to be the most fun part of my old magic metronome project.) I'll check it out once you've done the Linux port ;-)

ahanysz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:28 am
Erich.Pfister wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:58 pm Just a quick update - my next big hurdle is to create a parser to handle config files, internal messaging between the GUI and the processor, and preset files. I've never written a parser before, but my college buddy Alex knows how to write full-on compilers so I expect that he'll be able to bring me up to speed on the comparatively basic parsing I need.
I'm not up to date on this, but there used to be no end of nifty parser-generating tools. And I bet things have got better over time, not worse :-) The reason why you write parsers in college is to demonstrate that you know the theory, not because writing parsers is a thing you need to do in the real world. Just pick up something off the shelf.

The main task is to design or choose a simple grammar for your config file. Ideally something human-readable, so that your nerdier users can hack it in a text editor. So please not XML. Last time I checked, the cool kids were using JSON, which is pretty easy to read and edit by hand, and has lots of nice libraries for parsing. Or old-fashioned "key=value" pairs are good too, if you can make it work that way. Either way, once you've got the grammar, the parsing should be the easy part.

Have fun! (I found this to be the most fun part of my old magic metronome project.) I'll check it out once you've done the Linux port ;-)
I'm currently using JSON but I need to actually encode instructions and such. Syntactically it's not difficult, but because I'm using C++, there's a fundamental introspection problem where I'm going to have to do a lot of boilerplate to convert strings to class names and such. I'm struggling because I want it to be pretty and nice, but then I remember I'm programming in C++ using the VST SDK and therefore everything is ugly all the time. I'll check out that link!

Website is down again?

I want to buy.

Return to “Instruments”