Help a noob- first guitar for ambient/drones/doomy sludge and learning

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok Audiority makes decent stuff, and I admit I haven't checked their pedal emus yet, same with Cytomic's stomp even though I love his input on Ableton Live. Perhaps best to say only that from the distortion plugins I have personally tried to make work on synths, none of them quite reach the nuances of analog. Zero snobbery intended, but to my ears many other types of algos sound very close to authentic in 2020, there is something even in massively oversampled distro plugins that just doesn't sound convincing. Same with modelling amps and pedals, basically everything that deals with saturating or warping digital signals has a tonality I find unpleasant- in isolation.

vurt amd Donkey Tugger, special thanks not just from your input in this thread, but for all these years :ud:

vurt wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:42 pm not cheap, but beautiful...

http://fuzzhugger.com/index.html

Wow!

I've been eyeing these https://www.musikding.de/guitar-effect-kits. Would be nice to paint my own boxes.

Hee, you're doomed... I started with a little organizer for resistors etc and am up to four bigger ones now... :)

.jon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:56 pm Ok Audiority makes decent stuff, and I admit I haven't checked their pedal emus yet, same with Cytomic's stomp even though I love his input on Ableton Live. Perhaps best to say only that from the distortion plugins I have personally tried to make work on synths, none of them quite reach the nuances of analog. Zero snobbery intended, but to my ears many other types of algos sound very close to authentic in 2020, there is something even in massively oversampled distro plugins that just doesn't sound convincing. Same with modelling amps and pedals, basically everything that deals with saturating or warping digital signals has a tonality I find unpleasant- in isolation.

vurt amd Donkey Tugger, special thanks not just from your input in this thread, but for all these years :ud:
I'll second that.

Both those points.

I think there will always be something missing but some of the things missing are good - noise, for one. Side by side comparisons do expose, maybe a flatness (?), though I think that in a mix context, the overall sound works well enough. Somewhere between the different mods in the HM-2 clone, with one instance feeding another and gainstaged properly results in some very useable sounds that would otherwise set you back £400. So I guess I also factor convenience into the equation.

GaryG wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:07 pm Hee, you're doomed... I started with a little organizer for resistors etc and am up to four bigger ones now... :)
I've already got spares. Plus, CPC accidentally sent twice the number of transistors that I ordered without charging me - so I think they want me to build five of the things. :shock:

Really should have got into this a couple of decades ago but I'm glad that I am now.

Unaspected wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:18 pm so I think they want me to build five of the things. :shock:
:party: :tu:

.jon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:25 am Hope everyone is a having a fantastic late summer!

I've nurtured an interest in lonely guitar noodling... asf

Thanks for your time :)
well, go to youtube, search for the "chords of orion" dude and his chan and watch his videos with some of the coolest ambient guitars and sets. all there from baritones to normals to shortscale guitarbass-guitars bass sort of guitars like the one from ibanez...nice and humble guy.
or make a cool midiguitar (with any cheap guitar capable of mounting a fishman triple. almost any^^, you just need enough place between bridge pu and bridge) and escape from the guitar tropes ^^

one good guitar with a fantastic retrolook seems the hartwood charger peppermint. but its delivered not before jan 2021 ;D

I've stumbled upon Chords of Orion earlier, now subbed :)

Thanks again everyone, the kit arrived today, feels great in hand and the sounds much better than I was hoping for, just thru the fuzz pedal into Stark CM! Now there's a million other plugins to test, and researching the optimal learning path.

It's been an absolute blast so far :party:

I chose Justinguitar as my course, and tried to squeeze in at least some playing, if not proper practice into my daily schedule. I think I'm also compensating for not going the right route with my keyboard playing, but learning this new instrument just feels awesome.

Also, it is like looking at a whole new world of sounds :love:

And I did jump right into the rabbit hole https://en.uraltone.com/kits/effect-pedal-kits.html
A Big Muff clone and a Blue Box clone waiting for assembly. Oh and found a working Behri Echo Machine EM600 from a dumpster, lol.

wah!!! the em600 is definotely one of the better offerings too. even with my more expensive delays, that little feller is not going anywhere!!!

This tiny investment just keeps on giving, I can't seem to keep my hands off the thing. Funnily it seems to sound better every day, and not just because I occasionally hit the right strings in the right place- maybe it's setting in somehow? I've tweaked the intonation a couple of times, could be that as well.

Two things that surprised me:

- I'm more fond of clean tones than distorted ones. My default setup now is booster pedal -> mixer -> LePou Lextac with clean settings. Maybe the world of distortion opens up better as my playing improves?

- My right hand sucks more than the left hand, even with the left's mostly useless pinky. I find learning chord shapes easier than even, consistent picking. Maybe this evens up later.

Any recommendations for sweet sounding tube amp simps that excel when not driving them in the red? I will most likely get a small tube amp next year, but for now I'll have to settle for a sim.

Return to “Guitars”