donkeyt-useful idiots-folkie indie rokk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And another, f**king motoring now... :scared:

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... idiots.mp3

I say 'folkie' because it's in 3/4, has acoustic guitar and acoustic bass on it, faux Roger McGuinn electric 12 string bits, some of the laziest tambourine 'playing' ever, and (as always in these times) there's some politics.. Those with a, shall we say, more 'consipratorial' worldview should perhaps not bother, it may get a bit 'Warren Beatty' for you :hihi: . Lyric credit for 'wit of the witless' from JanCivil - too good not to nick... can have a cut of the 0.0000001p.

As always, probably plenty to sort and tidy up, but I've smoked too many fags and need a rest now.

It's about time you did something new. Sheesh.

It's rare I complain about anything you do but the vocals in parts need some serious EQ as there is some bad masking going on. Actually, maybe, it's the instruments behind them that need the EQ. I guess either could work. I use Neutron to fix masking problems but I'm sure you've got your own thing that you do.

Other than that, great musically. But I've come to expect that from you. I don't think you have it in you to do something crappy.

If I ever decide to do a Who cover, I'm going to ask you to sing it.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:42 pm It's about time you did something new. Sheesh.

It's rare I complain about anything you do but the vocals in parts need some serious EQ as there is some bad masking going on. Actually, maybe, it's the instruments behind them that need the EQ. I guess either could work. I use Neutron to fix masking problems but I'm sure you've got your own thing that you do.

Other than that, great musically. But I've come to expect that from you. I don't think you have it in you to do something crappy.

If I ever decide to do a Who cover, I'm going to ask you to sing it.
Never bother with all that technical masking malarky - trust me ears, and usually it's about getting the levels right by automating as much as anything, but sometimes it obviously doesn't work. :hihi: Anyway, worked out what I think was going on - the distorted vocal behind the main one in the 2 part of each chorus was far too harsh. Should be better now - cheers.

Did do another track recently by the way, for the contest..2 in 2 months!

Sounds good DT! The music has a nice Dylan feel to it. Don't worry about getting political, every one should be political but not take it to the extreme! Vocals sound good but maybe make them a bit louder in the mix.
Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

'wit of the witless'

so you saw that bit. Didn’t stay up long, as the object of that ire is under the Witless Protection System here apparently

this track has a rough-hewn quality that's appropriate as an expression of what's in the lyric, I think

unless you spelt useless wrong this is not about me :hihi:
sometimes life just hands you inspiration :)

has a very "post madchester" feel, world needs more protest songs, if not now, when?
(can you leave us wizards out of it though)

Shit! I did not expect your singing voice to sound like that. Needless to say, it's awful. Nicely done, but awful. You sound very American, too. Sorry, but you do.

I think I'll go and crank up Valleys of the Green and the Grey now (which is actually called just "Green and Grey" but I thought that might be a bit obscure).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Allomerus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:38 am Sounds good DT! The music has a nice Dylan feel to it. Don't worry about getting political, every one should be political but not take it to the extreme! Vocals sound good but maybe make them a bit louder in the mix.
Well done! :)
Cheers, singing a bit more nasal than normal due sinuses blocked because of to power smoking during the last few months, always good for a bit of Bob D.. :hihi:

jancivil wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:27 pm this track has a rough-hewn quality that's appropriate as an expression of what's in the lyric, I think
Aye, some 'agricultural' (for wont of a better term) acoustic bass playing in parts. There's bits I left in in this which I would have edited out in a different context, err keepin' it real... :scared:

vurt wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:11 pm unless you spelt useless wrong this is not about me :hihi:
sometimes life just hands you inspiration :)

has a very "post madchester" feel, world needs more protest songs, if not now, when?
(can you leave us wizards out of it though)
I don't think you could get away with the pillowcase with holes in it, even in Wigan..

Perhaps a little bit of The Verve to it with the delays and stuff?

If I wasn't looking after my mum, then I'd be getting more involved, not perhaps so much on the protest side of things, but in the local community mutual-aid stuff, been ages since I was involved at the resource centre. Still, bus bastardy has paid well - reckon I'll go part-time in a year or two, unless I piss all the money up on shite guuitars.
Last edited by donkey tugger on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:07 am Needless to say, it's awful. Nicely done, but awful.
Hehe, wouldn't have expected anything less, and of course the feeling is mutual..

Never been a big fan of NMA, bit too 'crusty goths with dogs on strings' for me (he sings in a weird voice too, 'Slade the Leveller', Justin to his mum. Sort of Bristol/Oirish mix, which is odd as they're from Bratfort. Still, the Yarkshur accent is not one naturally made for singing in I'll wager..) Did however see them play a stormer of a free gig outside Leeds library once back in the 90s. Was absolutely pissing it down, but they gave it some for sure.

Really well done. I could critique the mix but I won't, the song comes across well and occupies a tangible space. You have an excellent ear for arrangement. The use to dynamics and changing texture, to build and release tension, is very effective.
Thanks for sharing.

Great songwriting as usual. The vocals are getting lost in the mix but it is still quite enjoyable. :tu:

The first couple of bars threw me. I thought you may have decided upon authentic "privy" sonics, but I need not have worried.

I noticed issues with the vocals not coming through as loud and clear as usual. I couldn't decide whether it was the 12-string or the 'tron that was interfering, but, after 4 or 5 listens, I think it may be the 'tron.

The song is great, it's got the DT signature sound, and the lyrics hit home.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”