How good are Hornet Plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried the HoRNet Wah Wah. I liked it, but unfortunately the response wasn’t smooth enough. Fast pedal movements end up sounding quantized.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Mac installer app isn't working.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

jamcat wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:41 pm I tried the HoRNet Wah Wah. I liked it, but unfortunately the response wasn’t smooth enough. Fast pedal movements end up sounding quantized.
hi this probably depends on the buffer size you are using! can you please let me know? I think anything below 128 samples @44100 should sound natural.

Saverio

wangeroge wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:36 pm Mac installer app isn't working.
Could you please let us know which issues are you having?, also your macOS version may help.

thank you
Saverio

HoRNet wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:45 pm
Could you please let us know which issues are you having?, also your macOS version may help.

thank you
Saverio
macOS Ventura 13.5.1 (latest), but it also didn't work in previous versions.
Bildschirmfoto 2023-08-21 um 15.25.00.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

Samogrey wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:54 pm For their price, they are perfect.
Just purchased several gain riding plugins from HoRNet just because they are too handy and worthy.(for the price, and I hate how waves charge for annual update fee, so no Vocal Rider)
Actually considering purchasing Sound Radix POWAIR for its leveler function, but I find the leveler module reacts to side-chain input in a very weird way, it turns down the level at a high sc input and vice versa, which is like a ducker rather than a leveler.
I also purchased TBProAudio's GainRider and DynaRide, but they are not that handy and need more tweaks on parameters for a good result.
the price is not the reasons someone will seek a band comp that can handle the job, I think the correct way to explain your comment is that these plugs are good for beginners learning what the effects can do and who will need more professional higher resolution and up to date plugins to run on all newer machines

wangeroge wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:26 pm

thank you
Saverio

this is common with ventura and m1 plugin alliance had issues as well which although m1 compatible plugins they would not load, crash or not be seen at all., I would assume its a copy protection or invasive apple tactic causing all this., but other companies made theirs possible.
Example plugin alliance literally just updated their plugs to m1 native

I'm on Intel, not M1.

thank you
Saverio

this seems like a permission issue or something else (you have a German Mac, maybe some non ASCII character in the username that causes our installer to go nuts)

DoIn in that phase tries to move the plugin file to /Users/<your user name>/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/<plugin type> so you shoudcheck that those directory are actually writable first, then if everything is fine you can let me know the full path (including your username which is a sensitive information and it's not to be posted on a public forum) so I can check if there is something weird.

Thank you
Saverio

HoRNet wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:03 am

thank you
Saverio

this seems like a permission issue ...

DoIn in that phase tries to move the plugin file to /Users/<your user name>/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/<plugin type> so you shoudcheck that those directory are actually writable first, then if everything is fine you can let me know the full path (including your username which is a sensitive information and it's not to be posted on a public forum) so I can check if there is something weird.
All other plugin manufacturers store their plugins in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ . You seem to be the only one who uses /Users/<your user name>/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ . If I look at the directory you see the problem:

~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins % ls -al
total 24
drwx------+ 8 USERNAME staff 256 16 Mai 20:52 .
drwx------+ 10 USERNAME staff 320 5 Jan 2022 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 USERNAME staff 8196 22 Aug 12:20 .DS_Store
drwx------+ 6 USERNAME staff 192 22 Aug 12:18 Components
drwx------+ 2 USERNAME staff 64 25 Aug 2020 Digidesign
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 USERNAME staff 128 22 Aug 12:20 Support
drwx------+ 2 USERNAME staff 64 27 Sep 2021 VST
drwxr-xr-x 5 root staff 160 2 Mai 00:47 VST3

The VST3 directory belongs to the root user. Your installer seems to assume that it belongs to the user, not root.

wangeroge wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:02 am All other plugin manufacturers store their plugins in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ . You seem to be the only one who uses /Users/<your user name>/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ . If I look at the directory you see the problem:

~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins % ls -al
total 24
drwx------+ 8 USERNAME staff 256 16 Mai 20:52 .
drwx------+ 10 USERNAME staff 320 5 Jan 2022 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 USERNAME staff 8196 22 Aug 12:20 .DS_Store
drwx------+ 6 USERNAME staff 192 22 Aug 12:18 Components
drwx------+ 2 USERNAME staff 64 25 Aug 2020 Digidesign
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 USERNAME staff 128 22 Aug 12:20 Support
drwx------+ 2 USERNAME staff 64 27 Sep 2021 VST
drwxr-xr-x 5 root staff 160 2 Mai 00:47 VST3
Personally I have no problem with vendors who install to the user Plug-In hierarchy rather than the root one, and actually prefer my plugins would be installed there. I don't use Hornet's installer, and that's where I put them when I install manually.

This point goes to Saverio, as standard permissions would be for the following directory to be owned by the user
~/Library/Audio/Plugin-Ins/VST3

Something was installed on 2 May of 2023 that improperly modified the permissions of that directory to be owned by root. The root user should not be owner of any subdirectories of a non-privileged user's home directory. I can't say for certain that is a POSIX standard but probably is. I do not believe the VST3 directory is part of the system install so it got added. That Support subdir is not typical either.

kidslow wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:36 am This point goes to Saverio, as standard permissions would be for the following directory to be owned by the user
~/Library/Audio/Plugin-Ins/VST3

Something was installed on 2 May of 2023 that improperly modified the permissions of that directory to be owned by root. The root user should not be owner of any subdirectories of a non-privileged user's home directory.
I didn't change it. It must have been Apple, Steinberg or one of the other 50 plugin developers.

My guess is on Apple. They don't like the privilege escalation that happens when an app loads plugins.

Simple solution is chown that VST3 directory to that user, and then Hornet's installer will stop failing.

Very likely a plugin developer made that mess for you. Since that VST3 directory does not exist by default (AFAIK), it was probably created by some installer package that required you to authenticate during install, or otherwise wouldn't have gotten root perms. Look around and find the VST3 that is date stamped to the same day, and you may find the culprit. Seems highly unlikely Apple would change that, and do it in a non-standard way. Maybe Hornet did it the first time you tried to use their installer? :?

kidslow wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:04 pm Simple solution is chown that VST3 directory to that user, and then Hornet's installer will stop failing.

Very likely a plugin developer made that mess for you. Since that VST3 directory does not exist by default (AFAIK), it was probably created by some installer package that required you to authenticate during install, or otherwise wouldn't have gotten root perms. Look around and find the VST3 that is date stamped to the same day, and you may find the culprit. Seems highly unlikely Apple would change that, and do it in a non-standard way. Maybe Hornet did it the first time you tried to use their installer? :?
there are two installer types at horny-et, when you use their installed you can instal a demo version or a full version, I paid for one of their cheeses useless pedals before trying it because I cant stand these installers and refused to use it, as the agreements state 99% of the time, when you do they gather info about you, everything on your drive, your location, including static addresses to your mic, camera etc etc and sell it., but at horny-et after I had paid I could directly download the app, there is no copyright protection, after all, they got your root password and can screw with your computer and life....give a take.....so to be blunt, this installer puts the demos in the user folder, moving them to the computer folder will either be pirating or they wont even show up.

Moving a demo from the user folder to the system library would hardly be pirating, especially if you've paid for the plugin. Which pedal and what didn't you like about it? How exactly does Hornet get your root password?

Return to “Effects”