List(!!!!) of synths with per-voice (polyphonic) distortion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Discovery Discovery Pro

That's what I mean. Install the demo and use it with the demo noise until it goes on sale again. Think of the demo noise as a lofi effect. ;)

Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:47 am
Uncle E wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:26 am
Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:33 am What do you like it in it? I watched the trailer and wasn't so impressed.
Install the demo. I used the demo for months before buying. The little noise crackle is one of the least offensive demo restrictions around. It almost blends in with the music.
No I didn't buy it when it was at 70 USD, not gonna buy it at 129USD... I need to hold up to my mistake :-(.
Seems weird to deprive yourself of something that’s basically $60 more, when you’d easily spend that on a night out at a movie. Plus, it’s bundled with an effects processor, so the synth isn’t actually the main attraction. Even at $129, it seems a bargain, especially when Urs is generous with future updates.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Adding to the list:

Silen Audio: Infinite Flow (very good all round synth, bit of a UI mess and while the per-voice distortion sounds very good, it could use a high quality mode to get rid of some aliasing)

Tone2 Gladiator: very good in every way, but also good per voice distortion. A bit tame for my tastes, but good. The post mixer distortion is amazing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:52 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:33 am What do you like it in it? I watched the trailer and wasn't so impressed.
Install the demo. I used the demo for months before buying. The little noise crackle is one of the least offensive demo restrictions around. It almost blends in with the music.
No I didn't buy it when it was at 70 USD, not gonna buy it at 129USD... I need to hold up to my mistake :-(.
Seems weird to deprive yourself of something that’s basically $60 more, when you’d easily spend that on a night out at a movie. Plus, it’s bundled with an effects processor, so the synth isn’t actually the main attraction. Even at $129, it seems a bargain, especially when Urs is generous with future updates.
You are not helping my GAS at all man... :D :D

Some people have "dry" January, I was hoping to have a "no soft-synth" January lol.

Truth is I bought Current and VintageVerb in December and upgraded Avenger and Pro-R...
(In reality I spending 90% of my time playing with Avenger 2, it is f....g awesome).
I have enough toys for now... But this definitely came high on the list.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:59 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:52 pm
You are not helping my GAS at all man... :D :D

Some people have "dry" January, I was hoping to have a "no soft-synth" January lol.

Truth is I bought Current and VintageVerb in December and upgraded Avenger and Pro-R...
(In reality I spending 90% of my time playing with Avenger 2, it is f....g awesome).
I have enough toys for now... But this definitely came high on the list.
Not only am I an internet influencer, I’m an enabler. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:07 pm Not only am I an internet influencer, I’m an enabler. :lol:
Grrrrrrr, quoting your signature, did you turn your red led on ? :)

ok ok ok. Know what ? I will look at a bunch of review tomorrow...

Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:59 pm Some people have "dry" January, I was hoping to have a "no soft-synth" January lol.
“Dry” January leaves you with more money to buy synths. Buy a hardware synth so you don’t violate “no soft-synth” January.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:12 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:07 pm Not only am I an internet influencer, I’m an enabler. :lol:

My secret, cap’ is, I’m always evil. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

:cry:
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:30 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:12 pm

My secret, cap’ is, I’m always evil. :lol:
Like the reference...

So, I went though every instrument I own that has this ability, and a few that I downloaded and demoed, and there was a clear winner. Spire, no contest. High quality, with very little audible aliasing no matter how high the note, a bunch of different choices of distortion types that all have unique sounds, tons of gain, and a post EQ put it above all challengers.
Zerocrossing Media

I wonder why UAD Opal isn’t mentioned here. If I’m not mistaken, it has both the polyphonic distortion and morphable filters.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:07 am So, I went though every instrument I own that has this ability, and a few that I downloaded and demoed, and there was a clear winner. Spire, no contest. High quality, with very little audible aliasing no matter how high the note, a bunch of different choices of distortion types that all have unique sounds, tons of gain, and a post EQ put it above all challengers.
Thanks for taking the time for these tests.

I am not very surprised by the result though, Spire is sounding awesome. It really is a beast.

poonna wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:56 am I wonder why UAD Opal isn’t mentioned here. If I’m not mistaken, it has both the polyphonic distortion and morphable filters.
Good point, Opal is a fantastic sounding instrument, with very good analog modeled filters and drive features. It was definitely in my top five, but fell to Spire because it is still fairly tame in comparison. I was looking for something in the range of what the Analog Four or Moog’s multi-drive. Almost like a high gain guitar distortion per voice.

Part of my tests included the Prophet 12’s Drive effect, 3rd Wave’s saturation, Nina’s Drive and Overdrive, Analog Four’s drive, PolyBrute’s distortion and the top was Spire, second place Analog Four. The Analog Four only gets second place because Spire offers more options. 3rd place goes to MSoundFactory, though you have to jump through some hoops to achieve a high quality distortion.

Then comes Opal, Massive X, VCV Rack, etc. lots of good stuff, but they’re all missing something in terms of range.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Instruments”