One Synth Challenge #140: Pendulate (exponent1 wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pendulate

ELEX wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:08 pm Oh, nice, a new track. But...er...it has DRUMS in it ! This won't do at all, I'm afraid. New directive by Wes Kilbride. Only compositional geniuses allowed from now on. And no more drums please. Do stick to the official 'List of Unique Sounds and Capabilities' as not provided by Wes Kilbride ! :wink: :lol:
I'm all for drums. I dunno what Wes Kilbride is going on about. Trust an antagonistic troll to arrive for my first Osc!

First troll I've noticed here. And I'm certainly no drum-hater myself. Got plenty going in my own track, without any external trickery too, so AFAIC, they're very much part of Generate's 'Unique Sounds and Capabilities'. :lol: I absolutely love that phrase.

ELEX wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:33 pmFirst troll I've noticed here.
You haven't been here very long, then! :troll:
ELEX wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:33 pmGenerate's 'Unique Sounds and Capabilities'. :lol: I absolutely love that phrase.
:hihi: :tu:

Brother Greg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:44 pm Here's my first contest entry: Pendulosity. Enjoy!
It's meant to be an uptempo fun piece with repeating motifs, tunes, some blending of these at the end. About 2 1/2 minutes.
This was done with 12 instances of Pendulate. No effects were used.
DAW: Logic Pro
https://soundcloud.com/brother-greg/pendulosity-1
This is nice, Brother Greg. It has those motifs, tunes, etc. you mentioned. But without drums, I don't think it's going anywhere around here. Good luck!

Wes Kilbride wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:11 pm
Brother Greg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:44 pm Here's my first contest entry: Pendulosity. Enjoy!
It's meant to be an uptempo fun piece with repeating motifs, tunes, some blending of these at the end. About 2 1/2 minutes.
This was done with 12 instances of Pendulate. No effects were used.
DAW: Logic Pro
https://soundcloud.com/brother-greg/pendulosity-1
This is nice, Brother Greg. It has those motifs, tunes, etc. you mentioned. But without drums, I don't think it's going anywhere around here. Good luck!
So be a role model, sweetheart.

There was actually a question! ...
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:12 pmIs Bitwig "resonator bank" (fx) fair game or not?
I think resonator bank isn't a modulation effect. Am i right or wrong? Tbh i'm not exactly certain what resonatorbank is.
A resonator bank is a set of comb filters with the ability to have high resonance. You should avoid using this, as it uses filter resonance to create tonality at the frequencies of the resonant peaks, which seems to be not in the spirit of the competition. In other words: it can essentially be used to generate sounds, which would most certainly be disallowed.

z.prime wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm There was actually a question! ...
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:12 pmIs Bitwig "resonator bank" (fx) fair game or not?
I think resonator bank isn't a modulation effect. Am i right or wrong? Tbh i'm not exactly certain what resonatorbank is.
A resonator bank is a set of comb filters with the ability to have high resonance. You should avoid using this, as it uses filter resonance to create tonality at the frequencies of the resonant peaks, which seems to be not in the spirit of the competition. In other words: it can essentially be used to generate sounds, which would most certainly be disallowed.
Thanks mate. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll swap it out for a LPF now, and update my entry. Once again thanks.

I've never seen this tip, so i'm giving it now:

The song i uploaded was called "master.wav" and i changed the title in the Soundcloud title box. I think if somebody were to download my song then the resulting file will be called "master.wav". So i've changed my song to the correct titled file.
Am i right, about this Soundcloud anomaly?

I've noticed that KVR time is now correct, since daylight saving change. I thought i had a reply because i'm used to taking an hour off the KVR time.

Pretty certain Z.prime is correct ... most of the videos on line talk about using the Resonator Bank as an instrument as well! - i.e. it generates its own sounds/adds tonality. Good to avoid I suspect. Also Z is a bigtime Bitwig user and he has not used this for OSC (to my/our knowledge ;-) ).

I agree that SC is a bit daft when updating the audio file because it keeps the original name of the first upload. You can always delete the whole thing and start again if you need to get the name of the actual file uploaded as the named download. :ud:

dB

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm I've never seen this tip, so i'm giving it now:

The song i uploaded was called "master.wav" and i changed the title in the Soundcloud title box. I think if somebody were to download my song then the resulting file will be called "master.wav". So i've changed my song to the correct titled file.
Am i right, about this Soundcloud anomaly?
Yes, SoundCloud doesn't rename your uploads. Changing your SoundCloud track name has no impact on the actual filename. The OSC guidelines regarding track names are not extremely strict, but it's always best (also convenient for listeners and organizers) to name your file as well your SC track name as <KVR username> - <Track Name>, at least till the voting period.

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:58 pm
I'm all for drums. I dunno what Wes Kilbride is going on about. Trust an antagonistic troll to arrive for my first Osc!
"Troll"? Name-calling is a cheap shot. I've been making a passionate argument in this thread. Pendulate is an odd synth that features moving, changeable sounds that sometimes take time to unravel. That's the beauty of it. I don't know what to make of it myself. But it upsets me to see people take it and try to make it sound like just any other soft synth, making sure they've figured out a way to make drum sounds with it, so that their tracks will sound like any other track made by any other synth. It's closed-mindedness. Sincere arguments don't just come with a smiley face.

ELEX wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:33 pm First troll I've noticed here. And I'm certainly no drum-hater myself. Got plenty going in my own track, without any external trickery too, so AFAIC, they're very much part of Generate's 'Unique Sounds and Capabilities'. :lol: I absolutely love that phrase.
"Troll"? Name-calling is a cheap shot. I've been making a passionate argument in this thread. Pendulate is an odd synth that features moving, changeable sounds that sometimes take time to unravel. That's the beauty of it. I don't know what to make of it myself. But it upsets me to see people take it and try to make it sound like just any other soft synth, making sure they've figured out a way to make drum sounds with it, so that their tracks will sound like any other track made by any other synth. It's closed-mindedness. Sincere arguments don't just come with a smiley face.

You seemed unreasonable. You made assertions then you unreasonably dismissed other people's perspectives, that's how i figured you're a "troll" doing "trolling" deliberately winding people up. I apologise to you if you're not.

doctorbob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 pm Pretty certain Z.prime is correct ... most of the videos on line talk about using the Resonator Bank as an instrument as well! - i.e. it generates its own sounds/adds tonality. Good to avoid I suspect. Also Z is a bigtime Bitwig user and he has not used this for OSC (to my/our knowledge ;-) ).
Cheers Dr B.
doctorbob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 pmYou can always delete the whole thing and start again if you need to get the name of the actual file uploaded as the named download. :ud:

dB
You can just replace the file, in the "edit" pop-up. :)

Return to “Instruments”