Waves V12 is here, now with resizable GUIs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road Plugin Collection

https://www.waves.com/v12

I upgraded one of my licenses that I don't use much to V12 (in case it all went pear-shaped), downloaded the latest Waves Central, activated the "new" V12 license and installed the V12 plugin. Of course Reaper had to rescan all the Waves plugins. Then it comes up with both the V11 and V12 versions of the plugin!

However, all my Waves plugins loaded, from my old V9 ones to the new V12 one which does indeed resize. But.... it kinda looks to me all it does is resize the original bitmaps, they've not been redrawn or re-rendered which makes them a bit fuzzy which is lazy and not that great, if I'm honest.

Default 100%:
waves-100.PNG

200%:
waves-200.PNG

Of course, if you have a high-dpi monitor, maybe this'll look good for you. But it's not like the Klanghelm plugins (for example) where he re-rendered each size. Shame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Quite blurry, no? Or do i need glasses? (actually i should years ago :hihi:)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

The yellow line looks like the only retina/hidpi thing. Bitmaps look just upsampled?

This is just sad.

Actual rescaled bitmaps are coming in V13 in May 2021. Just $280 to upgrade your plugins :D

Wup-wup. :party:

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 am Quite blurry, no? Or do i need glasses? (actually i should years ago :hihi:)
Quite blurry, yes.
Ploki wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:58 am The yellow line looks like the only retina/hidpi thing. Bitmaps look just upsampled?
Looks that way to me too.
Reefius wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:01 am This is just sad.
I think they could have done a better job, especially on the new plugins that they would definitely have had the source graphics to. No excuses, other devs do this properly. Maybe on proper retina/hidpi monitors they render differently, but I doubt it, they just look upsampled.

And they offer me just to buy wup for 200€ to get this. Love waves, but the wup prices are crazy.

Would buy more stuff but the follow up costs are too high to justify it. :/

I'm wondering how this could work for them. Are there so many people outside of the audio social media world that buys them? Wup prices get 80% hate in every thread about waves.

I need to update about 8 plugins. I would be fine with 30€ and would love to pay that for the great legacy management. But 200€ for a simple update seems crazy. I can almost rebuy all of them for the same price.
Last edited by midi_transmission on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wow :lol: :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Why can't Waves just look at Plugin Alliance, which is such a dream to license and install?
Also why can't I move a license from one computer to another? It's limited to one move per year. What is the reasoning behind that?
All I want is Renaissance compressors and their tape plugins (still sound really unique in a cool lofi way).

fceramic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:50 amAlso why can't I move a license from one computer to another? It's limited to one move per year. What is the reasoning behind that?
Put the licenses on a USB stick and then you can plug that in to any computer you want.

cprompt wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:53 am
fceramic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:50 amAlso why can't I move a license from one computer to another? It's limited to one move per year. What is the reasoning behind that?
Put the licenses on a USB stick and then you can plug that in to any computer you want.
No thanks! It's 2020. Macbooks don't even a USB port.

Woot.

Of course they have USB ports. :P

I'm happy I'm still on a full HD display, BTW. No complaints about non resizable plugins, no complaints about scaled stuff being blurry, aaah... :)
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fceramic wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:57 amMacbooks don't even a USB port.
Ouch :o

I upgraded my Aural Exciter which is quite an old plugin and the default size is quite small even on a regular screen, so the idea of being able to make it bigger was quite attractive. But they've definitely just upscaled the graphics and even at 125% it's just blurry enough to make it unpleasant:

waves-exciter.png

However, the new preset browser is useful, so that alone is probably worth the upgrade if you don't have to pay the WUP:

waves-browser.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Effects”