Fuse Audio Labs releases Flywheel Reel-to-Reel Tape

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Flywheel Reel-to-Reel Tape

FLYWHEEL REEL-TO-REEL TAPE RELEASE

REEL ANALOG AESTHETICS

Flywheel injects the lush analog sound of reel-to-reel tape recording systems into your music. Instead of focusing on the specifics of a single machine, this magnetic marvel combines all the beautiful analog imperfections such as saturation, hysteresis, high frequency loss and head bump in a single, clearly laid out tone shaping interface.

BIASED? ABSOLUTELY.

Whenever you feel your music could sound more organic, cohesive, diversified and interesting, Flywheel will add that special sauce to your tracks. Adding vibrant warmth and presence to your recordings, mixings and masters has rarely been that simple and that much fun before. No credit plan, no service tech, no tape salad – just pure analog awesomeness.

AS EASY AS THAT

A lot of thought has been put into reducing the parameter set, offering plenty of sonic flexibility while maintaining a most straightforward user experience: Simply dial in the record gain, select tape speed and formula and then tweak the results with the hysteresis and EQ. Only a hand full of controls grants access to a sea full of interesting textures.

WOW!

The magnetic sound experience wouldn't be complete without different tape formulas, adjustable wow and flutter as well as a tape transport stop/start... and Flywheel delivers. Rounded off by optional oversampling for improving overall audio quality, this tape emulation is a reliable first pick for applying a remarkable polish to your very own masterpieces.

Get Flywheel for only $29 ($59 regular)

Download your fully functional 14-day trial here

Take a listen...

https://soundcloud.com/fuseaudiolabs/se ... d-examples

TRIALS AND PLUGIN ACTIVATION

You can test our plug-ins without any restrictions for 14 days. Simply click the "Activate Trial" button in the plug-in GUI after the installation to start your trial period. To activate your full license you can purchase a product activation key on our website. The activation key will be sent to you by email once the payment process has been completed, successfully. Click "Activate plug-in..." in the plug-in GUI or the drop down menu below, enter your email and product activation key and hit the "Activate" button to proceed.

FAQS AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT

An overview of Frequently Asked Questions can be found under the following link

https://fuseaudiolabs.com/faq.html

Our tech support can be reached via the following link

https://fuseaudiolabs.com/support.html

Really looking forward to trying this out. Too late for me now, but... tomorrow!!

Looks pretty and I'm sure the quality will be as it looks based on the fuselabs track record.

Off the bat, one feature or future tweak I'd love to see is a discrete control for the hiss. I absolutely love this as a creative effect and there's not a lot of caring tape decks that afford you this control. DAW Casette, UHE Satin, Toneboosters Reelbus V3, and Virsyn V-Tape are among the few that offer this level of control.

Input gain affects too much of the signal and messes with the balances to get the desired level of tape hiss. Would love to see a separate control.

I like how the highs and transients are smeared, sound very convincing when you want to have this kind of sound.

But one question @fuse, is it expected that 30 and 15ips sound almost identical? Usually there is a really noticeable difference, in Flywheel I'm not sure if there is any?

midi_transmission wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:19 am I like how the highs and transients are smeared, sound very convincing when you want to have this kind of sound.

But one question @fuse, is it expected that 30 and 15ips sound almost identical? Usually there is a really noticeable difference, in Flywheel I'm not sure if there is any?
Thanks for your comments, midi_transmission.

It's very subtle, focus on the head bump which is more pronounced with the black tape formula (I). It'll shift by roughly an octave when switching between 30 and 15 ips. The difference becomes much more apparent in the high end when rolling off the HF EQ (0%) all the way.

Hope that helps.

Just putting this on a few tracks I'm mixing (and remixing). Sounds lovely! Obviously a lot of thought went into the parameter ranges, because it's ridiculously easy to dial in useful settings, from warbly noisy grungefests to subtle enhancements. Pushing it to extremes sounds bad in a very good way, too.

Looks and sounds like a keeper. Great work, as we've come to expect from Reimund. My Fuse Audio folder is steadily growing.

Funny how I never loved those tape artifacts back when I was recording on my four track Yamaha... :lol:

Uhhh, first time I see a plugin out of my home city! Nice lineup on your website. Gonna give it a try! Regards from Duesseldorf to Duesseldorf!

c1c2 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:00 pm Uhhh, first time I see a plugin out of my home city! Nice lineup on your website. Gonna give it a try! Regards from Duesseldorf to Duesseldorf!
"Wer wohnt schon in Duesseldorf?" :phones:

Woow cpu usage is reall really low
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I demoed this on a project I am working on. It's ok but I find it to be more of a "dirty" sounding tape emulation. Increasing Hysteresis helps to smooth out some of dynamic bumpiness but it still has a dark dirty sound. The website says it "applies a remarkable polish", however I disagree - it does the opposite of polish, but in a good way. I'd say IK Tape 80 or Satin is more of a "polisher". Still, Flywheel sounds really nice and has some unique features. I think it's a good tool for adding a dark character to tracks and maybe mixes. That's my take.

Dark and Dirty? Now I am curious to see how you use it. Levels etc.
I have been using it for more subtle type stuff and it works great for that.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:47 pm Dark and Dirty? Now I am curious to see how you use it. Levels etc.
I have been using it for more subtle type stuff and it works great for that.
rsp
Yeah, if you're conservative with your settings and careful with your gain staging, it can be nice and subtle.

Does it include fast forward/rewind speeding recording head zip noise? :clown:

This is the dealbreaker for me, who already have 8 Tape plugins.
Last edited by Harry_HH on Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How does this differ from BRA’s magnetite, which afaik was also coded by Reimund? Judging from the screenshot, it has a few more controls (HF EQ, hysteresis) which might probably lend to more effect-y sounds.

I like this plugin. It's subtle but you can hear the difference once it's gone.

Return to “Effects”