Italo Disco 80s style

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Current final Version:
https://soundcloud.com/rends-1/remember-italo-disco
Enjoy :-)

Former Version V2:
https://soundcloud.com/rends-1/italo-80 ... -rough-mix

Edit: First Version
https://soundcloud.com/rends-1/italo-disco-rough-mix
Made my first step into the Italo Disco Genre
Last edited by Rends on Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Some nice ideas in there....definitely got potential.

Maybe needs a contrasting section so that groove drops out for a few bars before dropping back in with even more layers for a big finish maybe?

A bit of variety in the sounds might add to the track as well?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Thx for your feedback. And you made some good comments. I worked on the track since a week. I played already with another synth sequence layer for the final part but found the result to washed out (lack of a better term). Might looking for a different sound and try again. I think the song could need some vocals too (not sure if my voice will fit in here).

What Chameleon said, and that beat needs to change too. The claps are a nice touch, and you could do more of that kind of stuff too (toms come to mind).

At the moment, you've got the vibe and the basics, but it really needs something to differentiate the different sections.

Got a nice drive and beat to it. Maybe some reverb on some elements in keeping with the retro style; just to give more dimension int he mix.

Nice track my only comment: seems like it needs a little more low end (Disco)thump.

add some hats, shakers, or tamborines
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Bring in some more toms earlier than just at the end and as mentioned before introduce some hit hat/percs for more energy, movement and variation. And make the bass line more prominent. Its a nice start for this style but still sounds like a backing track. Just my crappy opinion.

Or avoid all the above and add vocals
Amazon: why not use an alternative

It's a definite improvement, but still missing some of that excitement factor. Which ties in with the above comment.

On top of the points mentioned there, I'm missing some short melodic ditties. The current instrumental parts are quite dense - if the part is playing in a section, it is playing throughout. That's fine; they are part of that backing track mentioned above. What is missing are short little phrases that do the complete opposite; for example as an answer to that main melody at the end of every second bar, you can add a little 3-6 note reply on another instrument once the other phrase is finishing. Something sparse to complement the dense. Apply that thinking elsewhere, adding little flurries and supporting melodies. That way, the backing track can be the backdrop, and the little details make the scene more vibrant and engaging.

It's these subtle changes with things coming in and out that help create that the excitement and movement that is still missing. You've got the meat and potatoes, now add the spices and condiments. You don't want to add too much of any one, but without them, the whole dish is missing that certain something. These are the bits that bring out the best in the track and make it tasty.

Many thx for all your Tips and suggestions. I already tried a few things that didn‘t work for me. Need to put this project asside for a few days to get some new inspirations. I also didn‘t found an answer sound that i like yet. Will come back when i have something new.

It's OK so far, but doesn't sound very finished yet.

Could flow a lot better.
Just an old bloke who likes listening to a wide range of music. I also fart quite a lot!

Return to “Music Cafe”