I am using the Arturia Piano V2 and I think it sounds kind of cheap despite being 200$

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Piano V3 Pianoteq Pro 8

I got the Arturia V Collection and while I enjoy their synth sounds, I feel their Pianos sound like cheap 90s digital Pianos. They lack body and warmth to my ears. Does anybody else feel the same way about their pianos? I am thinking of getting the Keyscape Piano instead.

I had a play on their Piano V2 or whatever it’s called. Not my favourite, either.

Do recommend checking out Pianoteq. There are also some very nice pianos for Kontakt.

It's sample based, rather than modeled isn't it? I've got V Collection, but have never installed the pianos because I have Komplete, so my acoustic piano needs are covered.

Edit: No, I'm wrong (I checked on the site), it's modeled. As far as a convincing acoustic piano goes, probably go with something sampled.
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arturia Piano V is 100% physically modeled.

I was excited about it when I first got it, but I found that it sounded way too synthetic. That spurned me to checkout Pianoteq, which is now what I use for all my pianos, and a bunch of other instruments too.

Arturia Piano V could still be good for some creative synth piano sounds.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:52 am Arturia Piano V is 100% physically modeled.

I was excited about it when I first got it, but I found that it sounded way too synthetic. That spurned me to checkout Pianoteq, which is now what I use for all my pianos, and a bunch of other instruments too.

Arturia Piano V could still be good for some creative synth piano sounds.
Yip, you just beat me to it. I looked on the Arturia site to confirm. As I said, I'm more than happy with the N.I pianos, so haven't looked any further, but I've heard Pianoteq is good.

I_V_502 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:55 am I got the Arturia V Collection and while I enjoy their synth sounds, I feel their Pianos sound like cheap 90s digital Pianos. They lack body and warmth to my ears. Does anybody else feel the same way about their pianos? I am thinking of getting the Keyscape Piano instead.
+1 on keyscape. It has the best sounding pianos I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7utf6icaz64

Here's something similar from Pianoteq using the Yamaha C5 model.

Pianoteq YC5: Steve O'Laughlin - Paper Doll (Johnny S. Black)
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I don't like it too.
Pianoteq is far better.

I_V_502 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:55 am I got the Arturia V Collection and while I enjoy their synth sounds, I feel their Pianos sound like cheap 90s digital Pianos. They lack body and warmth to my ears. Does anybody else feel the same way about their pianos? I am thinking of getting the Keyscape Piano instead.
I thought it's supposed to be an emulation of 90s digital pianos...

V2 was better than V1, but Pianoteq is much better at realistic pianos.
I also have Keyscape but often prefer Pianoteq, it just depends on the sound you want.

Noire is also excellent and slipped under the net for some- it can do all the usual piano stuff, but can do ambient stuff really well...

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... eys/noire/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BrokenTrance wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:10 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3WRZKwMnsI

I just had to post this.
Thanks for posting; nice to hear a great piano player demo'ing it.

Greg (Michael Jackson's Music director) playing some keyboard hits
(Click on the small link below, not the bigger one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svX6WRWBP8o

I think I paid 59 bucks for Garritan's CFX Lite--on sale, I'll admit--and while it lacks the other mic perspectives from the full version, it sounds and plays outstanding. Unless I need a different flavor of piano, it's pretty much killed my gas for a piano plugin (it's a clean, huge CFX grand so for a more character/homey sound I'd use Fluffy's My Piano for example.) As a plus, no iLok and Garritan was very friendly and helpful when I had a question for them.

I'm prob out of my depth here as I'm not a pianist, and my excellent pianist friend plays only pianoteq.

Arturia piano actually works for me.

It's very quick & adjustable

- and loads fast, especially when Kontakt pianos take forever

- so presets can be demo'd quickly.

Final piano sound is often a matter of post production when it's "made to fit the mix".

So I'm fine with Arturia piano as is.

There are often deals to be had when buying it.

I don't think $200 is a a "real price" if black friday's coming up.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Return to “Instruments”