beginner ONLY - simple guide to musicology

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Go to 00:30 to skip past the [loud and obnoxious] intro.

This musicology guide is for complete beginners who don't about scales or chords. By the end, you'll have enough knowledge to compose your first EDM tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o18NYH_WzNc

This is absurd. This is NOT Musicology.

Musicology is the scientific study of humans making music in and as culture. Their concepts, behaviours and results (texts, sounds), historically built, socially mantained, and individually experienced, identifying the agents of innovation and change.

You can use musicology to study the musical practice of a community, let's say a group of EDM musicians in a given time and space, and come up with a description (what they call what they do, how they do it and what results they get from it - basically HOW they do it) and then an explanation (WHY they do it the way they do it), that might lead to a "theory" of their specific music, but that's not really what's in this video.

What's in this video seems to be a reductionist analysis not indexed to any particular group of musicians, neither a substancial corpus of musics, nor any substancial explanation to fund those claims. Furthermore, many concepts used in the video don't belong, neither are applied by many of those making this kind of music.

A real musicology video could be, for instance, and explanation of HOW and WHY Martin Garrix does the music he does, detailing his concepts and behaviours, and sourcing his particular methods and some of his songs as example. And, of course, this could be very different than, let's say Avicii. Don't shoehorn things like this.
Play fair and square!

Musicology my arse!

Basically it's total nonsense!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Musicology, ill put that in my vocabulary basket.

-logy suffix is associated with a scientific scope / research oriented, so this is complete bullsh*t

Cringe.

"Yes, you can really learn the basics of Musicology in only 10 mins..."
Whoever wrote that sentence should look a word up. This is a new nadir here.

It took experts literally their entire lifetime to learn music, even the basic things themselves, to achieve perfection. And this guy said it takes only 10 mins? Mindblowing.

I think the claim is to be able to do EDM-quality music.
;)

I wonder how long it takes to unlearn it :ud:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:39 pm I wonder how long it takes to unlearn it :ud:
2 hits.

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:45 pm
Hink wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:39 pm I wonder how long it takes to unlearn it :ud:
2 hits.
yours or mine?

Seriously, I come from a time when we knew nothing, we listened to our peers to learn...you have no idea how many ways there seems to be to play smoke on the water :hihi:

The point is we trusted each other for misinformation and I know some really dumb things stuck with me for years because a 14 year old I perceived to be better than me told they were right. It is possible that the less enlightened ones may feel this video is solid gold advice. Those people who fall for it might have to go back and do some serious unlearning before they grasp the truth.

I havent watched it because I dont want to support it but I dont have to, far too often in life shortcuts takes one to a point before the starting line :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

well, the clue is in musicology, that's nowt to do with theory.
no point listening to someone who doesn't know what it is they teach.

if i tell you im gonna teach you archery (doesn't matter if you already know, it's just an example) and at the start of the lesson i hand you a knife and a piece of putty. you probably realise, you ain't learning much about archery.

there's the first thing to unlearn :hihi:

jancivil wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:31 pm I think the claim is to be able to do EDM-quality music.
;)
So at least they got the 10 minutes part right. :)

Damn people, I don't mostly disagree with what you're saying, but I think the torches and pitchforks are a bit extreme. So it shouldn't have been called "Musicology," the horror. I doubt the OP realized that was even a word...just a term meaning "about music" to him probably. I've seen people misuse far simpler and common words.

Return to “Music Theory”