Orb Producer Suite vs. Captain Plugins vs. Liquid Music

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All 3 of these "compositional assistant"-type plugins are on sale ATM.

Any opinions on how they differ and their relative strengths and weaknesses? :?:
A well-behaved signature.

Anyone? :)

Haven’t heard of liquid music, but from the 2 left I’d choose captain chords. I don’t see the other one doing anything it can’t do for what it’s worth. I happen to sell Rapid Composer which is also a notable assistance tool. Check it out.

Also what is your purpose? Do you want software to write stuff for you or just music theory aiding stuff?

To answer your last question: a little of both.

One big difference is that Captain Chords requires an Internet connection and sends everything you play to their servers.

Working with Orb Producer Suite and Captain Plugins regularly, bought Liquid Music in the actual sale even if I failed on the demo years ago.

I think Orb Producer and Captain plugins are from GUI (Captain plugins was years before Orb producer..... 8) and (easy) handling very compatible but very different in the engines in the background that drive that "generative" or whatever aspect.

While Captain plugins is (mostly) based on styles and presets (apart from the melody generator which is - as far as I know - the best out there for the "easy" ones - so that dont cover Rapid Composer for example) the generative engine in Orb producer is based on Orb Composer which means really generative based on theoretical parameters that are more or less understandeable (for example I still dont really understand the connection between "Density" and "Complexity") but gives you real freedomn in generating ANYTHING.

Its easy to use in general but as it is STILL badly explained (these videos in cartoon tempo are a bad joke to me....) some very important basics that really makes the power of this app are sometimes hard to find (not because they are difficult or complex but cause they are simply NOT in any manual
and not explained anywhere else).

Liquid music years ago I failed on the one hand just getting into this on the other hand had lots of contact with support with requests and questions. Now years and some bigger updates (which seem to solve some of the requests) have gone by and I am just to interested in the concept to not give it another try now. So I cant really judge the actual version at the moment.

Simple conclusion: for me there is no "best" of the three cause the concepts, even if the GUI SEEMS quite similiar (I wont comment more on this...), is absolutley different. For me at the moment the decision between Orb producer and Captain plugins is song-idea based and composing-needs based. So for example if I have a generative midi track from Wotja with no chords or anything for further use I choose Orb Producer 2 for its new harmonize midi function. If I want to sketch something quickly where the existing mostly "modern" patterns might fit for a start I might take Captain plugins which had the plus for this of an integrated drum module.

Just my 2 cents.

tatanka wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:47 pm Working with Orb Producer Suite and Captain Plugins regularly, bought Liquid Music in the actual sale even if I failed on the demo years ago.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I've been leaning towards RapidComposer now that I've looked into things. But it looks like probably I won't be getting any of them for a while at least, will just have to make do with what I've already got in the compositional assistant department. :)

I paid about $200 for Hexachords Orb Composer Pro in February 2020. Less than two months later they released Orb Producer Suite. And Orb Composer disappeared from the website orb-composer.com.
So it looks like they are never going to update it. It crashes often with external VSTs and even without them. And PB is still selling it. There is no free upgrade/crossgrade to Suite for Orb Composer Pro owners.

Liquid Music Version 1.6 was in March 2016.
5 years later we have the version 1.7.
And there are not many resources.

I also have Captain Plugins.
No complaints here.
Studio One 6, Waveform Pro 11, Acid Pro 10, NI, Pigments 4

Strange, there is an actual sale from pluginboutique on Orb Composer 1.5. Really wonder how that will work with the product not even on the website.....as the licensing (as far as my experience goes) always worked threw the website. And as there seemt to be no support either......

tatanka wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:21 pm Strange, there is an actual sale from pluginboutique on Orb Composer 1.5. Really wonder how that will work with the product not even on the website.....as the licensing (as far as my experience goes) always worked threw the website. And as there seemt to be no support either......
hmmm, could this be connected to why three threads have been bumped? :lol:

Orb Composer need to figure out what they are developing and selling. The two different programs without much explanation of which is the product they are developing is just silly. Orb composer pro vs suite. It confusing as heck. Captain chords does work nicely and my pick

Return to “Effects”