The future of Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

colabean wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:51 am Does anyone have contact at FXpansion who will give them an honest answer about current status of Geist2 as opposed to some generic copy/paste of non-response that Roli support is likely to offer.

I'm gonna begin transitioning to a different drum programming software to lessen the inevitable blow if it gets left in the dust, ultimately making hundreds of old projects not playback on current systems in the not-too-distant future :/
I’d be shocked if they keep Geist going. It doesn’t jive well with their squishy expensive keyboards, so it’s only a matter of time before it’s euthanized for the greater good of king roli’s empire.

I'd love a Guru2 more than Geist. They had a nearly perfect drum sampler with Guru. Just needed to fix a few things and make it into a killer Guru v2.

Then with Geist, in the spirit of innovation fxpansion tried to fit too much into a drum sampler. Unfortunately it ended up being too complex/convoluted.

colabean wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:51 am Does anyone have contact at FXpansion who will give them an honest answer about current status of Geist2 as opposed to some generic copy/paste of non-response that Roli support is likely to offer.

I'm gonna begin transitioning to a different drum programming software to lessen the inevitable blow if it gets left in the dust, ultimately making hundreds of old projects not playback on current systems in the not-too-distant future :/
If it works on current systems, it won't just stop working.

You should be good for quite some unless a major os update stops something working. Windows should be fine for ages.

Yup. As long as fxpansion allows online activations or you never have to change your pc.

I just hope that if Roli ultimately go under (which I would not be at all surprised by), that FXPansion can be spun back off or sold off [to someone who will take care of the developers/products] and land on their feet. It would be a shame if those great products went down with the Roli ship.

Geist 2 is a cool product and it's a bit of a surprise that there's not a whole lot that can compete with it. Maybe Atlas 3? :lol:

Atlas 2 is pretty cool. I dig how it can conform to your controllers layout. I love that it has polyrhythms. Im gunna check it out now

hadn't heard of Atlas. that looks fun and slick. fast to get around on? might have to demo it. thanks for the heads up.

Roli continues to drop videos on YouTube demonstrating how to do things in Equator 2 and, most recently, a new sound set for Cypher with demonstration including their silly new light-up keyboard thing. I starting thinking last holiday season (2020 year end) that I might like to buy a MPE controller and their Seaboards have been out of stock since then. Maybe I should buy into the Sensel Morph line instead.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

_leras wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:52 am If it works on current systems, it won't just stop working.
Unfortunately it does not properly works. In my case it crashes in Live 11 and even in Reaper. There are many GUI bugs that are still unsolved after many years of requests. It's really shameful that the best and most complex drum sequencing plugin is being slowly abandoned... 😕

My Roli died on me after a few years. It takes some getting used to playing and I never mastered it anyway. Only had the two octave version and that felt limiting. The Morph is interesting but doesn't have a great response and also is limited by it's size. They're out of stock too I believe. I dig the flexibility of the Morph though with the different overlays. If the response was a bit better, and they made a bigger one, it'd be truly killer.

For me at least, MPE is interesting, but I just haven't found the killer controller. And the additional expression gets in the way more than it helps. What was that other MPE keyboard that was actually a keyboard? Was on pre-sale and kind of expensive? That thing looked cool. Found it! Osmose! This thing looks cool:

https://www.expressivee.com/2-osmose

Way more up my alley.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dayjob wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:22 pm hadn't heard of Atlas. that looks fun and slick. fast to get around on? might have to demo it. thanks for the heads up.
It's pretty good. It's similar to XO. Both are fun (XO and Atlas 2). Neither are quite as fully featured as Geist 2 in the sequencing department. But much better in the navigating your sample library department. Nicer to look at and interact with too.

But if you need more than two patterns and want to build up entire songs, you'll be dragging and dropping patterns to your DAW instead of doing it in a self-contained instrument.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:03 pm
I’d be shocked if they keep Geist going. It doesn’t jive well with their squishy expensive keyboards, so it’s only a matter of time before it’s euthanized for the greater good of king roli’s empire.
King Roli...

:lol:

But sometimes even kings get rolled...
No auto tune...

vertibration wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:50 pm I think you would be hard pressed to find a better drum machine. Geist is in a league of its own. Keep an eye on FORS if you use Ableton, he may consider doing a drum machine in the future. He helped develop Digitone for Elektron
Yup... I agree that Geist is in a league of its own... Unfortunately, I have stopped using it, especially since I plan on getting an Apple Silicon mac and I have no confidence there will be a native version of Geist anytime soon if ever.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:02 pm
vertibration wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:50 pm I think you would be hard pressed to find a better drum machine. Geist is in a league of its own. Keep an eye on FORS if you use Ableton, he may consider doing a drum machine in the future. He helped develop Digitone for Elektron
Yup... I agree that Geist is in a league of its own... Unfortunately, I have stopped using it, especially since I plan on getting an Apple Silicon mac and I have no confidence there will be a native version of Geist anytime soon if ever.
Exactly. I work on both macOS and Win, often in Cubase (sometimes Logic), but need my sessions to work cross-platform and keep up with the latest toys and tricks. So I have to abandon Geist2, since it seems like they ROLLI will kill it off.

Right now I'm experimenting with Groove Agent 5 as my drum sampler. For certain types of beats, I miss the step editor control (being able to do panning, for example, on single hits within a sequence). But it works great for a many other aspects. Intuitive UI isn't it's strong point. This guy's YouTube Tutorial series on Groove Agent 5 is really good! Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX6I5CHv69k

colabean wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:01 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:02 pm
Exactly. I work on both macOS and Win, often in Cubase (sometimes Logic), but need my sessions to work cross-platform and keep up with the latest toys and tricks. So I have to abandon Geist2, since it seems like they ROLLI will kill it off.
I use Bitwig and Logic... both on Mac. At this point for software, I am using the included drum machines in each DAW. Logic is especially good. And maybe half the time I am using hardware drum machines, which I enjoy more for creative workflow.

Return to “Instruments”