2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've thoroughly enjoyed the "2020 Year in Gear" thread, and thought now would be a good time to start a 2021 thread. While it's too early to list any actual 2021 purchases, we can start this thread by mentioning what we hope to get in 2021.

Personally, I hope to sell a few pieces in 2021 and use that money to purchase either a Yamaha TG77, SY77 or SY99. I used to have a TG77, and I really miss it. I'd also like to find a deal on a used Ensoniq synth, partly because I'd like to have an Ensoniq synth in my collection, and partly because I want a keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch. I also plan to design and build a few modules to go with my Behringer Neutron. I'll start with simple things like basic multiples and attenuators, then maybe a CV & audio mixer, some Boolean logic modules, a simple sequencer, a four-quadrant multiplier, voltage controlled wave folders and other "oscillator manglers"... who knows where it might end? :hyper:

What do you hope to acquire in 2021? :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

more bloody cables! :hihi:

there was a guitar planned for around now, but the breakdowns meant money went elsewhere.
so at some point (probably march, then it's a birthday gift) it will probably be an epiphone wildcat.
hollow body, with but bigsby tremeloe.
what could be more rawk? :band2:

the cosmix mixer module is looking like a front runner for modules. but, as mixers arent that exciting, ill look for se more noises to put through it as well :hihi:

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:02 pm more bloody cables! :hihi:

there was a guitar planned for around now, but the breakdowns meant money went elsewhere.
so at some point (probably march, then it's a birthday gift) it will probably be an epiphone wildcat.

the cosmix mixer module is looking like a front runner for modules. but, as mixers arent that exciting, ill look for se more noises to put through it as well :hihi:
Yes! More cables are definitely on my list for 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, etc. I'm actually in the middle of deciding which new cables I need to order today. :hihi:

I'd love to have an electric guitar, but I don't play guitar, and I'm not sure if I have the dedication required to learn how. Maybe one of these days I'll eventually have one. Synths are still my priority though.
GlenVision.com

whether i can play is debatable :lol:

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:02 pm at some point (probably march, then it's a birthday gift) it will probably be an epiphone wildcat.
That's a beautiful guitar :tu: ...

I have the same Bigsby on my Schecter.

yup, i wasn't even really looking for a guitar, but elxsound mentioned he was using one of these. id not heard of it, so went for a look, and did kind of fall in love.

extra points because i had thought if i was going to add a new axe, trem was essential! as i only have the marlin with a trem and don't really like the guitar, but was a gift so don't feel right selling or giving it away.

few videos and main complaint is feedback with it being hollow, so not great for small rooms blah blah ...

some of us want more feedback!!!
plus my room is big enough i can outdistance between me and the amp/monitors for when i want something more tame :)
but feedback/wah/delay :wheee:

That's a gorgeous axe :)

My plan is to buy almost no hardware in 2021 and just enjoy what I have now. I know GAS might strike for something new, but I want to break the habit of changing up my gear so much.

One thing that is on the list is Mazzatron's new quad DC blocking highpass, which is probably going to be ready very early in 2021 (if not very late in 2020). (The York Modular filter I'd ordered turned out to be sold out and they refunded my money.) Not very exciting, but will help both FMing the A-110-4 and sending audio through the ES-6.

I've moved house and have a new study/studio area, so the priority is really furniture: some kind of cabinet holding 19" gear and cables, with a matching Eurorack case on top? Some acoustic treatment would be good too but is constrained to be reasonably "pretty". Then maybe some bigger/better speakers can be justified.

I'm on the list to get an Animal Factory Amps, Orobas when they become available in the next few weeks.
There will only be 80 of these made. https://youtu.be/1qrucTnT-mE

ooh sexy!

Next year, I plan to finally sell my Kronos X and replace it with a big analog poly. I'm really leaning toward the PolyBrute. I'm also considering a Prophet 10 or Moog One but the PolyBrute speaks to me. I also have a desktop Hydrasynth coming.

My Infernal Noise Machine will arrive sometime in February or March which will go into a 4ms Pod64x alongside a Noise Engineering Desmodus Versi.

I plan to build a 32-channel CAPI summing mixer next year. That will be a huge project and a welcome upgrade for my OTB mixing setup. I still dream of a large format API console but I don't have the space for that yet.
Last edited by justin3am on Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've always been a Sequential Circuits fan. If I had the money, I'd be tempted to get a new pair of Prophet 5's, because I always lusted after the original dual-keyboard Prophet 10. :love:

If I had even more money, I'd ask Dave Smith how much he'd charge to put a pair of the new Prophet 10's into a single case, so I could have the world's first dual-keyboard Prophet 20! :hihi:

On the other hand, that PolyBrute looks pretty cool too! 8) I'm sure I'd be happy with one of those.

As for the Moog, I'm sure it's a nice synth, but I've never been quite as drawn to Moog synths for some reason. There's certainly nothing wrong with them. They just don't tug at my heart so much as they do for other folks. If I had the chance to try the Moog One in person, maybe it would be the Moog model that would finally tug at my heart. Maybe. :shrug:
GlenVision.com

I'm going to try not to buy anything from 1/1/21 until black friday 2021. But I'll probably grab a three pack of serials for whatever EZXs come out in 2021, and I just Kickstarted the Chordmonger which should come in April. So I guess for me the question is, what can I buy before my resolution kicks in so I still have new toys in 2021? :lol:
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

McLilith wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:36 am I've always been a Sequential Circuits fan.
I love the sound too but I don't love the lack of modulation. I'm not much of a player. Sound design is more my thing. But the Prophet 10 sounds super rich and I can always twist a simple sound with outboard stuff.
McLilith wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:36 am On the other hand, that PolyBrute looks pretty cool too! 8) I'm sure I'd be happy with one of those.
The ribbon and touch controller really intrigue me. I love interesting expression controls. I really like the sound too. The more demos I hear the more I'm drawn to it. And because it's so much less than the other synths I'm looking at, I could also get a Sequential Pro3 or something.
McLilith wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:36 am As for the Moog, I'm sure it's a nice synth, but I've never been quite as drawn to Moog synths for some reason. There's certainly nothing wrong with them. They just don't tug at my heart so much as they do for other folks. If I had the chance to try the Moog One in person, maybe it would be the Moog model that would finally tug at my heart. Maybe. :shrug:
I'm not much of a Moog guy myself but the One sounds very different from other Moog synths I've played. Super deep and fun to build sounds on.

I've also considered things like the Udo Super6 or a Black Corp synth. There are a lot of remarkable synths out there.

Hoping 2021 is the year I finally get a Sequentix Cirkon!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”