2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:05 am
vurt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:27 pm although, think ive finally "lost it".
sat here with several thousand pounds worth of "stuff".
looping a sample of my bed creaking :shrug:

that said, who knew how much sound you could get out of a shitty tubular steel bedframe :o
that bass! :-o
about 15 years ago I posted a piece called 'scrape' done from one sample of a squeaky door, so im on your side on that one....
fwiw, I'd say the "thousands of pounds worth of stuff" is more an 'extension' of being fascinated with sound in general, rather than an indicator of 'losing it' by becoming obsessed for a while, with a particular sounds characteristics and potential.

Far more often than not, I've carried a portable recorder of some sort with me when and where-ever I go for the better part of five decades. Natural and man made squeaky, creaking, scraping, plopping, bonking, ratcheting, whooshing, whirring sounds abound amidst the symphony of our lives.

Grasp the moment. :tu:

Case in point. I've recently enjoyed several hours or so of looping/manipulating five minutes worth of recording several of these :lol:
Broad Base Door Stop.png
8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

i meant lost my mind, not my love of sound!
you spend 4.5 hours with 4 seconds of samples with "everything on it" :hihi:

used to hate those door springs, the cats loved them though, usually in the middle of the night ...

vurt wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:28 pm i meant lost my mind, not my love of sound!
I got that. Just felt compelled to reinforce the 'seed'. :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:32 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:28 pm i meant lost my mind, not my love of sound!
I got that. Just felt compelled to reinforce the 'seed'. :wink:
ive been enjoying grabbing sounds here and there with just my phone.
cd drawers and odd bits like the kettle or the fridge vibrating.
stupidly, forgot to record "chatty toddler" as i was too busy playing dinosaurs!! rawr!!!

vurt wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:29 pm used to hate those door springs, the cats loved them though, usually in the middle of the night ...
Those things were so fun when I was a kid... probably my parents felt the same way about them that you do :hihi:

The sound I really loved though was rolling marbles around in a stainless steel kitchen bowl. It was amazing but also a direct ticket to parental exasperation...

foosnark wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:42 am
vurt wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:29 pm used to hate those door springs, the cats loved them though, usually in the middle of the night ...
Those things were so fun when I was a kid... probably my parents felt the same way about them that you do :hihi:

The sound I really loved though was rolling marbles around in a stainless steel kitchen bowl. It was amazing but also a direct ticket to parental exasperation...
Thankfully, my lack of adult supervision, allows me to indulge myself in child-like wonder, with a plethora of noise making objects and endless experiments.

I got a 3-tier stand for the Make Noise stuff. It's much nicer to use them like this, than when I had them side by side.

^^^ The design of those stands is really clever. :tu:

Well, I wasnt going to by any more modules until I'd made a dent in my kit backlog.
And I definitely wasnt about to go down the route of a eurorack video synthesis system.
Nor did I think I needed any kind of scope.

And yet, when I saw someone selling one of these second-hand... I have a tracking number.

There's an old TV in the studio already, but I also have a 7" touchscreen that has a composite input, that would sit right on top of the modular.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:25 pm fwiw, I'd say the "thousands of pounds worth of stuff" is more an 'extension' of being fascinated with sound in general, rather than an indicator of 'losing it' by becoming obsessed for a while, with a particular sounds characteristics and potential.
Yeah, it wasnt the 'losing it' bit I meant. It was the 'who knew' line.
Case in point. I've recently enjoyed several hours or so of looping/manipulating five minutes worth of recording several of these :lol:
I think Ive got a couple of those things somewhere. If not, will need to get some... fit right in with all the other junk 'foley' stuff Ive collected.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:01 am ^^^ The design of those stands is really clever. :tu:
I was worried that the the synths would come out easily when un-patching but the stand holds them very snugly. :tu:

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 am Well, I wasnt going to by any more modules until I'd made a dent in my kit backlog.
And I definitely wasnt about to go down the route of a eurorack video synthesis system.
Nor did I think I needed any kind of scope.

And yet, when I saw someone selling one of these second-hand... I have a tracking number.

There's an old TV in the studio already, but I also have a 7" touchscreen that has a composite input, that would sit right on top of the modular.
Oh wow, that's rad! I remember those. I used to have a bunch of MFB stuff. RIP Manfred.
I never tried the VD-01 because I had oscilloscopes but I never thought about using it for video synth stuff. Hmm...

Eek looks like gear prices have gone up a hell of a lot in the UK. Brexit?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

justin3am wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:08 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:01 am ^^^ The design of those stands is really clever. :tu:
I was worried that the the synths would come out easily when un-patching but the stand holds them very snugly. :tu:
Are these the Impossible Shape ones?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”