Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 am I would much prefer a TAL-SQ80 than yet another Roland.
Great idea. Since the development of SQ8L VST stopped years ago, there hasn't been a replacement for it. It can still run through a VST wrapper and it still sounds wonderful, but imagine it with a TAL GUI. :love: Yes, one of the true gem synths. I still use it from time to time.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I bet Arturia will get to SQ80 sooner than TAL...

DuX wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:21 pm
Vortifex wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 am I would much prefer a TAL-SQ80 than yet another Roland.
Great idea. Since the development of SQ8L VST stopped years ago, there hasn't been a replacement for it. It can still run through a VST wrapper and it still sounds wonderful, but imagine it with a TAL GUI. :love: Yes, one of the true gem synths. I still use it from time to time.
Isn't there a free vst one of those?

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:27 pm I bet Arturia will get to SQ80 sooner than TAL...
Do you know something we don’t? 😉

Nope, but I did pitch the idea to them. :D

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've got my issues with Arturia. I feel like their synths end up being the embodiment of the saying "jack of all trades, master of none". Many, many emulations, some of them really great, the rest end up being lackluster and sound sort of generic. Like the same old VST with a new look and some features to it. Not to say that they aren't usable synths, they really are, but they never reaaally go into great detail to emulate any of the synths they work with.

That's not quite true in the recent times. Their Jupiter-8 is very very good, and DX7 is just as good as Dexed and in many ways better (except CPU usage). They also nailed the CZ (of course, because the developer of VirtualCZ basically did it as v2 of VirtualCZ), the Buchla Easel, and to be honest, Fairlight and CMI sound spectacular as well...

I think the new Juno sounds great.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:38 pm That's not quite true in the recent times. Their Jupiter-8 is very very good, and DX7 is just as good as Dexed and in many ways better (except CPU usage). They also nailed the CZ (of course, because the developer of VirtualCZ basically did it as v2 of VirtualCZ), the Buchla Easel, and to be honest, Fairlight and CMI sound spectacular as well...
The Jup-8 V3 was good, plugin wise. Didn't really sound like a Jupiter, honestly. However, it had the layout and the behaviour of a Jupiter, which I really appreciated. Sadly, the split/dual mode wasn't fully fleshed out, the only one who has managed to do that is Patrick with the J-8. And not only did they not fully flesh it out in the V4, but they did away with it entirely. The filters on the V4 fall short compared to the J-8, but it's still a good sounding plugin, and I like the addition of some extra LFO's. But yeah, split/dual gone = instant dealbreaker for me.
Haven't tried out the DX7 too much, I've become well accostumed to the workflow (and limitations) of Dexed. Stereo capabilities are nice, though. Unfamiliar with the functionality and behaviour of the CZ and Buchla. Also haven't worked with the Fairlight much.

I will say, the filter sound of the Prophet V3 is something I gravitate towards a lot, even when Repro 5 seems to match up to the hardware better. There's something about that specific plug that sounds much better than Repro to me.

Prophet V3 really needs its DSP updated, it sounds nothing like a Prophet, but the VS part of it is even worse. :)

reality distortion :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Great synth, one of the few softsynths I've bought in quite a while. I am a big fan of TAL though, already
having most of the stuff.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:07 am Prophet V3 really needs its DSP updated, it sounds nothing like a Prophet, but the VS part of it is even worse. :)
The VS, there is a plug that has never seen the light of day in any recording lol

Return to “Instruments”