/* static noise */

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop Zebra

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Depends on what you are after. If your goal is sounding ‘analog’ or accurate analog emulation then nothing beats The Drop. I hate writing this because I hate the term but it’s the most hardware analog whatever sounding plugin.

If you need specific features like modulation then... The Drop still rocks ha!

There's also Sugarbytes Wow2 which does some crazy things. Or consider getting ShaperBox from Cable Guys.

resistent wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:10 am
ATM I tend to buy The Drop but I'm not sure if it adds something to my arsenal. I use Live, hence I have some Cytomic filter at hand plus I own Zebrify and the VCF modules are nice as well as the XMF modules.

So I'm not sure: can The Drop give me something m
In Live the filter models are non-oversampled MQ versions of The Drop.
IMHO The Drop's HQ filters sound a lot better/smoother/quality when modulated and using higher resonance. Also you get more filter models in the plugin + modulations options. I've got Wow2 also (got it before) and while not bad, The Drop beats it quality wise and in modulation possibilities.

And Andy from cytomic is a great guy, money well spent and a guy worth supporting.

Edit: Saw Shaperbox being mentioned. It's something completely different (which it does good), but I think if you are serious about sound mangling in the the traditional way (like filter FM, Reso sweeps etc) The Drop is it. Shaperbox got some nice things itself, but the filter part is not a stand out for me there.
Last edited by dermage on Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ableton filters are good in clean mode or with like 6db max drive IMO, I find that going above that tends to blurry the sound (aliasing ?). I think Zebrify is the same story.
So if you want to drive a lot and crank the resonance way up, I would consider The Drop (I am thinking of getting it also :)).

Zebrify is afaik the only filter-plug that offers keyfollow.

GRUMP wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:25 am Zebrify is afaik the only filter-plug that offers keyfollow.
The Drop definitely has it. Lower right corner LP/HP/LFO2 Trk should be keyfollow.

dermage wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:34 am
GRUMP wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:25 am Zebrify is afaik the only filter-plug that offers keyfollow.
The Drop definitely has it. Lower right corner LP/HP/LFO2 Trk should be keyfollow.
Can you tell me if it works via midi or pitch detection?
Zebrify works with midi, so you'll have no problem with chords and overlapping notes.

GRUMP wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:36 pm
Zebrify works with midi, so you'll have no problem with chords and overlapping notes.
No it's midi only.
The envelope can be triggered by audio, though.

From the manual:
MIDI - Enable MIDI triggering and keyboard tracking
https://cytomic.com/files/TheDrop-Manual.pdf

A demo/trial is also available..:
Trial our plugins now, they have full audio quality and absolutely no obligations. You can even save your settings and if you unlock the full version load them again.
https://cytomic.com/#drop-downloads

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

dermage wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:53 pm
GRUMP wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:36 pm
No it's midi only.
The envelope can be triggered by audio, though.

From the manual:
MIDI - Enable MIDI triggering and keyboard tracking
https://cytomic.com/files/TheDrop-Manual.pdf

A demo/trial is also available..:
Trial our plugins now, they have full audio quality and absolutely no obligations. You can even save your settings and if you unlock the full version load them again.
https://cytomic.com/#drop-downloads
That is good to know. Very interesting. Thank you!!

Zebrify filters are nowhere near as good as the drop , Xmf filters are the only ones that do audio rate mod but these are not zdf ,the only zdf filters in zebra are tyrell and the two ms 20 filters , but then again these are not capable of audio rate mod.
Dark zebra diva’s filters are awesome but there is no dark zebrify :cry:
Zebrify is Nice but the drop is really at a whole other level :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

So is the Drop worth getting if I own Ableton Live with Autofilter? Obviously that filter is based on MQ the drop filters and sounds great to my ears

Delete
Last edited by billcarroll on Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

leeleema wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:57 am So is the Drop worth getting if I own Ableton Live with Autofilter? Obviously that filter is based on MQ the drop filters and sounds great to my ears
Just read from here:
viewtopic.php?p=7983076#p7983076

Return to “Effects”