XY pad software or hardware controllers for the Zebra 2

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just installed this wonderful synth and now the trick is to be able to use the xy pads in the Perform setting without having to resort to a mouse. I have a Surface Pro 3, a couple of Android touch screen devices and an iPad kicking around, and I've seen Lemur, Xotopad and the like out there but getting the device to somehow be used as a controller and pair with my system seems sketchy at best. I don't see much in the way of hardware - I have a Logitech T650 trackpad that I'm charging up now to try - and maybe four of these might be a solution, or even a bank of joysticks....
I simply cannot be the only one looking to do this, so what is being used successfully out there for this?
I'm running a Xeon based PC with Ableton 10 Suite.

Please advise,

Dave
How great would life be if we lived a little of it every day ..

Trismos wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:47 pm I just installed this wonderful synth and now the trick is to be able to use the xy pads in the Perform setting without having to resort to a mouse. I have a Surface Pro 3, a couple of Android touch screen devices and an iPad kicking around, and I've seen Lemur, Xotopad and the like out there but getting the device to somehow be used as a controller and pair with my system seems sketchy at best. I don't see much in the way of hardware - I have a Logitech T650 trackpad that I'm charging up now to try - and maybe four of these might be a solution, or even a bank of joysticks....
I simply cannot be the only one looking to do this, so what is being used successfully out there for this?
I'm running a Xeon based PC with Ableton 10 Suite.

Please advise,

Dave
I had created a super simple TouchOSC layout with 4 XY controlers for use in Zebra. Works a treat in OSC compatible DAWs if you can make 'em all talk to each other. It's less fun if you need to do things like run the TouchOSC bridge because that just becomes one more place things can go wrong, but it's still doable.

You could always also just assign 8 faders to the 4 XY controls via MIDI CC for a more simple but less fun alternative.

If you're on Mac you could look into something like this: https://audioswiftapp.com/xy-pads-for-s ... -trackpad/

Yeah, didn't want to get into OSC bridge or some of the more complicated setups Lemur asks for for exactly that reason. I have an extra APC mini with sliders and may try that.... the Trackpad i mentioned above isn't really cutting yet, the trackball mouse works better.

But test it, the xy of the original nanoPad was unusably bad...

I have the nano pad and didn't try it. It might work for one of the 4 pads..... how do you switch between pads is the issue and I don't want four of those things on my desk.

I was toying with the same idea using a sensel morph, but did not bought it ultimately...

I sent an email to Hauke Menges of XotoPad. This would really be the solution for me if it didn't rely on rtpMIDI and the wireless connection. It might be a useful solution just playing with it for song creation projects but there's not a chance I would consider this for a live performance.

I use the Joué Pro Controller with 3 X/Y Modules (3 "Area Pads") together with Hive and ZebraHZ and I am quite happy with it. A little expensive, but you get a very versatile, modular MPE controller.

Joe Leidigkeit wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:38 pm I use the Joué Pro Controller with 3 X/Y Modules (3 "Area Pads") together with Hive and ZebraHZ and I am quite happy with it. A little expensive, but you get a very versatile, modular MPE controller.
This one looks actually really cool... I'll keep it in mind when I eventually want to buy a MPE controller.

Lol - I can't decide if it's really corny or very cool but I want one. Unfortunately I'm not going to drop the $750.00 Canadian (on sale at that!) on it.

Found something similar that might be better and appears (so far) to be cheaper. https://sensel.com/collections/all
Looking at the Morph.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this recently - if there were something like AudioSwift for Windows then you could use a cheap trackpad or graphics tablet. I wonder how well the Nanopad2 works considering it’s fairly cheap.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Return to “u-he”