Is Kontakt still the best sampler?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Happy new year all!

Was wondering if Kontakt is still considered the best sampler around as far as the pitch algorithm and for multi-sampled instrument libraries.

What are some of the best tutorials (advanced preferably) to make your own multisampled instruments using Kontakt?

Cheers!
Last edited by simplersounds on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In before the inevitable "Kontakt can't sample!" post. :P

Never got the obsession with that, BTW. Why would I sample in a VSTi, when I can sample much easier in the DAW?

simplersounds wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:46 pm Happy new year all!

Was wondering if Kontakt is still considered the best sampler around as far as the pitch algorithm and for multi-sampled instrument libraries.
Well, "Kontakt" is the market leader among all samplers.
With all the advantages that result from it:

-- very capable for any kind of multisamples
-- has its own scripting (even more flexible)
-- comes with many liberaries (ca. 55 gb)
-- great offer of sample-libraries (free + paid)

Disadvantages of Kontakt:

-- costs ca. 400 €
-- you have to deal with a copy-protection
-- proprietary format

If you don't want to live with the disadvantages, there are
of course other options ...
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Workflow :cry:

Kontakt is the best sampler for devs, but quiet disadvantageous for creatives.

My personal favourite is Falcon but I don’t really use multi sampled libraries...

Subjective as whether it's the "best" or not. It's definitely of a high quality as others are.

It is probably the most ubiquitous though.

It has a ton of good content available for it, more then any other "Sample Player".

The CEO and the president of Native Instruments were both forced to resign a couple months ago. That doesn't happen if things are going well. The year before, 20% of the company was let go. The biggest consideration when it comes to Kontakt is Native Instruments' long-term outlook.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:21 am The CEO and the president of Native Instruments were both forced to resign a couple months ago. That doesn't happen if things are going well. The year before, 20% of the company was let go. The biggest consideration when it comes to Kontakt is Native Instruments' long-term outlook.
That is not true. You just have to ask "what is good"?

What is "good" is mainly determined by the firstly the strategical and just lastly operative targets and we have to see that the emh partners (...) probably see things a little bit different than those young, financially somehow unprofessional former CEOs.

But however - I lately got K6 and I was a little bit surprised that the structures didn´t change much since K1. It is a great sample player and definitely has it´s value. But I´d rank Halion miles ahead when it´s about users interests. The pitch algorithm (Audiowarp) is great btw. - and you should also consider EXS, AKAI etc. librarys, because Halion can read a whole bunch of formats.

simplersounds wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:46 pm Happy new year all!

"Still?"

Define "best." Best at what? How do you plan to use it?

Personally I hate NI and hate the concept of opening plugins within another plugin, and IMO Kontakt is a convoluted mess and horribly designed. But as stated above, as a sampler player, it does have a lot of plugins available that require it (free and paid) so a good case can be made to have it, even if it sucks. Fortunately, most major library makers (orchestral at least) have or are moving away from it.

Yes

Yes, it's a very good sampler not sure if it's the best though.

The workflow is terrible imo. So I rarely use it. It's definitely not the best for me.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:59 pm In before the inevitable "Kontakt can't sample!" post. :P

Never got the obsession with that, BTW. Why would I sample in a VSTi, when I can sample much easier in the DAW?
I never got that either. I could understand it if we were still in an era when each instrument was a self contained piece of hardware but kvr came in to existence when that was no longer the case
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:21 am The CEO and the president of Native Instruments were both forced to resign a couple months ago. That doesn't happen if things are going well. The year before, 20% of the company was let go. The biggest consideration when it comes to Kontakt is Native Instruments' long-term outlook.
You do know that they 'resigned' to a supervisory role above the NI board, during NI's most successful financial year, right?

No, guess not. Doesnt fit the narrative well enough.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm
You do know that they 'resigned' to a supervisory role above the NI board, during NI's most successful financial year, right?

No, guess not. Doesnt fit the narrative well enough.
They resigned in August 2020, so they could be hardly aware of that it would be a most sucessful year. Factually you are right, but at the time it was not known, maybe foreseen.

That said, speaking of predictions... they might as well sell a lot less when corona has come to a halt. It's just a temporary deal, it was not because NI's sales policy is doing so well afaik.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”